Author Topic: Air compressor for Metcal Mx-500?  (Read 11016 times)

Offline krivxTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Air compressor for Metcal Mx-500?
« on: March 25, 2013, 02:06:36 pm »
I need to source an air compressor to feed the soldering gun on an MX-500. Their literature recommends an air pressure of around 80 PSI/~5.5 Bar. I had a look at RS (there is an existing account) and I can only find large compressors like this: http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/air-compressors/6934902/ This sees like overkill and I don't want to deal with a large motor. Are there smaller, quieter compressors available that would work here? I have seen desoldering stations with integrated airflow systems that were pretty small and seemed to handle most jobs just fine.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Air compressor for Metcal Mx-500?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 02:16:42 pm »
The airflow is pretty low - may be worth looking at things like used dental gear, or something else that uses small volumes of air. Maybe even a bottle of CO2 or nitrogen ?
I wonder if a cheap tyre inflator might do the job.

Another alternative that would meet the quiet criteria is a refrigeration/aircon compressor. An issue with these is the need for them to have oil, and to use an oil filter on the output, but they are small, quiet and cheap. You sould be able to find some resources online about using/converting them

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 02:40:23 pm »
The airflow is pretty low - may be worth looking at things like used dental gear, or something else that uses small volumes of air. Maybe even a bottle of CO2 or nitrogen ?

In my experience at least Hakko with similar venturi /vacuum ejector is quite hungry for pressurized air?

Integrated desoldering station pumps are bit different case as those are vacuum pumps and power requirements for those are less than using compressed air and venturi to create vacuum.

I dont have pressurized air  and I did not want desoldering station with integrated vacuum pump because those are somewhat slow, often noisy and not creating as much vacuum as good vacuum ejector.  My solution was to use solenoid valve and  fridge compressor for pulling vacuum. Works like a treat, quiet, strong vacuum, fast response  and cost nothing. 

Offline krivxTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 02:51:20 pm »

I have used an air bottle, it worked well but isn't ideal for a permanent setup. There is a nitrogen feed available but I would prefer to avoid using it if possible as it would mean filling out safety paperwork.

In my experience at least Hakko with similar venturi /vacuum ejector is quite hungry for pressurized air?

I'm not sure tbh. I was hoping that even a loud compressor with a reservoir tank should last through a lot of desoldering without requiring the tank to be refilled?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:41:38 pm by krivx »

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 03:08:11 pm »
Sure, you can run quite long times with big reservoir tank, average air use is low because you probably use it in short burst less than one second.

Offline DaveW

• Frequent Contributor
    • WattCircuit
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 01:17:35 pm »
We managed to buy a 5000 series Metcal at work before realising that the compressed air supply had been removed from our building. We now use one of these,

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/shhh-air-compressor-39

Pretty expensive, but very small and very quiet compared to the industrial ones. I think there are cheaper variants that might be a bit smaller, worst comes to the worst you may have to wait for a minute or two for the tank to recharge

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 01:48:54 pm »
PSI is not what makes a compressor expensive , it is the CFM [ cubic feet per. min. ] that make a compressor expensive .
Look for that spec. from Metcal to find the minmum CFM , But I would recommend larger than what is required for the [ desoldering gun ] because if you'er setting up a bench , you would find so many other uses for its use that something around 4-8 CFM would cover lots of other tools .
Then the issue is if you buy chineeze junk , you end up replacing frequently , and shortly exceeding the cost of quality .
" Bitch one the 1st time when you buy quality , rather than every time your use junk "
I have found lots of used gear free to cheap and repair for less than half the value . 

Offline Kibi

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 03:05:49 pm »
We managed to buy a 5000 series Metcal at work before realising that the compressed air supply had been removed from our building. We now use one of these,

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/shhh-air-compressor-39

Pretty expensive, but very small and very quiet compared to the industrial ones. I think there are cheaper variants that might be a bit smaller, worst comes to the worst you may have to wait for a minute or two for the tank to recharge

I use this Bambi compressor in my workshop. It charges quickly and is very quiet. It's also rather a lot cheaper than the Machine Mart variant, and it's made in England :)

http://www.axminster.co.uk/bambi-bb24v-compressor-prod21502/

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 03:26:06 pm »
In the past, I've used an air storage tank charged by a fairly robust tire inflator.  I'm in the process of putting together a Metcal station with the venturi desoldering gun, so I'll probably go that route again unless I can find a small cheap compressor.  The duty cycle is so low even a cheap compressor will last a long time.

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 03:45:23 pm »
If anyone gets this setup could you please post details of the hoses used and their connectors. I have one of the Metcal MX-5000 desoldering units at work which isn't being used because there is no compressed air available.
Thanks.

David.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline americanhacker1

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 04:34:10 am »
the perfect air compressor is the one from andymark I used it as a onboard compressor for a robot I recently built and it can pump out about 200psi but we had it regulated at about 160 high and 60 working pressure its a great little unit you can buy the starter kit from AndyMark.com for around 100 bucks and I you have any background with pneumatics like me then you can set it up to have quick connects and be able to power pneumatic cut off wheels or even just to blow off the workspace what ever you heart desires and this compressor runs off 12v so you could always buy the ac to dc convertor it makes a great little compressor over all

Offline lewis

• Frequent Contributor
  • Nullius in verba
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 12:08:43 am »
If anyone gets this setup could you please post details of the hoses used and their connectors. I have one of the Metcal MX-5000 desoldering units at work which isn't being used because there is no compressed air available.
Thanks.

David.

Well, it's 2 years late for this thread, but I've just bought a Metcal MX5251 which includes the desoldering gun. The air fitting is a 'Milton M-style' coupling (as far as I can make out, but I can't find this anywhere in Metcal's literature) which I can't find anywhere in the UK on a reasonable lead time. Very common in the US. I removed the Milton connector from the air hose and used a 1/8" NPT27 to 1/4" BSP reducer (specifically http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131225693084). The NPT thread is again very common in the US. 1/4" BSP means the world's your oyster.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

The following users thanked this post: mblinov

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 02:15:01 am »
I ended up using a cheap 1 gallon oilless air compressor marketed by Harbor Freight.  Not a great compressor, but it was  around $35 US and works well with the Metcal.  It's a little loud, but I have it stuffed in a cabinet that muffles the noise.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 06:48:32 am »
If it uses a universal motor like many cheap compressors do, add an inline diode and it will run cooler and last longer.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf