Author Topic: AmScope, Optika & <others> rebranded microscopes OEM?  (Read 2730 times)

Offline jadewTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
AmScope, Optika & <others> rebranded microscopes OEM?
« on: March 02, 2015, 07:25:43 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a microscope and since I'm living in the EU my choices are both limited and pricey. Buying AmScope means I have to pay ~$350 for shipping + Customs + VAT on the total cost. Buying another EU brand that rebrands the same microscopes from china as AmScope, means I'd have to pay EU prices which are more than double what AmScope charges, even before VAT.

Anyway, both options suck in one way or another, so I'm wondering if any of you know which company is the OEM of these microscopes so I can buy directly from china without going any lower in quality?

Thanks

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
Re: AmScope, Optika & <others> rebranded microscopes OEM?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 07:53:03 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a microscope and since I'm living in the EU my choices are both limited and pricey. Buying AmScope means I have to pay ~$350 for shipping + Customs + VAT on the total cost. Buying another EU brand that rebrands the same microscopes from china as AmScope, means I'd have to pay EU prices which are more than double what AmScope charges, even before VAT.

Anyway, both options suck in one way or another, so I'm wondering if any of you know which company is the OEM of these microscopes so I can buy directly from china without going any lower in quality?

Thanks

I am afraid I don't have an answer, but I'll point out that for a lot of goods "quality" is an purchase option. So, even if you find a way to buy stuff from the original manufacturer direct from China, you may not be getting the same thing you get from AmScope, or an EU brand. The metal parts may not be quite up to the spec demanded by the western brands, same with the optics. This doesn't mean that the quality you want isn't available within China, but you'll be paying with your time to make sure you get it, rather than just paying the premium you are trying to avoid.

Sorry if this was obvious, but it would suck to get stuck with a grade-C that you can't easily return or exchange.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf