Author Topic: Any folks have experience with Atten SA/SS-50 or Hakko fx600 irons?  (Read 3659 times)

Offline capsicumTopic starter

• Contributor
I only solder on occasion and have traditionally used whatever cheap unregulated iron that was left in the garage by the last guy,(also torches and traditional wood-fire heated chucks of iron) However most of that was either mechanical soldering/brazing, or power conductors(10-20ga); I've just started repairing pcb-type widgets.

These Atten SA/SS-50 and Hakko fx600 irons I'm looking at take the same Hakko T18(900m) tips as the FX888, 50watts, temperature adjustable, are well under half the price of an fx888($95US) and take up less bench and storage space.
The Atten(120v USA version) is sold by Adafruit for $30US, and the FX600 is around $45.
The Atten seems to come labeled as either SA-50 or AT-SS-50 but the data sheets show them as effectively identical, though visually they are slightly different revisions I can find little information comparing them.
Hakko also makes an FX601 which is 65w and uses the T19 tip style(heavier but fewer options), this is about $55.

I intend to use mostly 63/37 or 60/40 tin/lead solder. (solid core wire with flux pens; for more wire size/flux combinations and isolating the fluxes' shelf life issue.) If 50watts can't keep up I have a variety of supplemental heat sources, but as my old iron is labeled 15watts and does the job after a fashion I don't see 50w as under powered. And of course some minor desoldering work, replacing electrolytic caps and what not.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Any folks have experience with Atten SA/SS-50 or Hakko fx600 irons?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 06:09:54 am »
I have a FX-600, which I use as a portable iron, in my toolbox. I don't use it very often, but it does the job.
It uses the FX-888D't T18 tips, which are very good. It's not very fast to heat up but it's ok. The one thing I don't like is the big fat power cable, which is a bit awkward, but that's a general problem for stand-alone irons vs. stations. It also doesn't come with a stand, which you would need to purchase separately - at least the cheapo brass sponge with wire on top you can rest the iron on like this guy: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C789EU/

I don't know the Atten, but being compatible with the T18 tips is also a good thing. It is my impression that Adafruit dropped the FX-600 when they found the Atten, with similar specs and lower price. I trust them to carry a decent product (not always top notch, but at least decent). At that price, it's a no-brainer if that's all you want to spend. I don't think going to 50W is necessary for small electronics work.

Next step up would be a FX-888D, which, if found at $70-80 (its possible) could be close enough, and it comes with a nice stand, which you don't get with the other ones. I would personally get the FX-888D (which I have also had) without hesitation, but I understand the budget/value concern. I am on the other side on the space concern. If you pull your iron often, there is a great advantage to have it lie in a solid stand while it's hot vs. having the iron sit horizontal on a table and waiting for the big electrical cord to be pushed to get knocked over. Solid stands are a very good thing.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 06:15:31 am by LaurentR »

Offline RayRay

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 10:03:29 am »
I don't have experience with either, but if you're looking for a solid, affordable regulated iron, I'd say the Bakon BK950D would be a great choice.
It's compatible with T12 tips and also quite portable.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 10:06:49 am by RayRay »

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 12:02:41 pm »
If a lack of stand and a thick cord are the only concerns with the fx600(and by assumption the Atten) then it sounds like the unit for me.
 I already have a hot-iron holder(spring coil type) and I can screw it to a small plate or board if it proves too top heavy,(I have a work shop to fabricate widgets, even a complete new holder) and I'm accustomed to welding smallish items with heavy hoses hanging off the torch.
The money saved can go to the oscilloscope fund, I know its only a $60 step from the Atten to the 888 but I look at it as a percentage.(I do understand the value of quality equipment, having both struggled with junk items and used the professional stuff. Just need to balance that with amount of use an item will see.) 
As for the bk950d, it looks interesting but T12 products are not marketed to North America according to Hakko (this also limits aftermarket by extension) and that Bakon unit is only available here through some rather sketchy sellers with no price benefit over the Atten and fx600.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 03:09:07 pm »
. . . but T12 products are not marketed to North America according to Hakko

The North American equivalent is the T15 series tip.
I'm not sure if they are identical but Hakko lists them as compatible in a chart on their website:
https://www.hakko.com/english/maintenance/topic_fm_fx_series01.html

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 03:47:15 pm »
Just need to balance that with amount of use an item will see.) 
You'll use the iron far more than hot air or desoldering IME, so it's a good idea to get a decent one.

Aside from performance, things such as ergonomics, whether or not the iron handle becomes hot, and silicone wire for the iron cord are important.

Offline RayRay

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 09:00:52 pm »
As for the bk950d, it looks interesting but T12 products are not marketed to North America according to Hakko (this also limits aftermarket by extension) and that Bakon unit is only available here through some rather sketchy sellers with no price benefit over the Atten and fx600.
I honestly don't see where the problem is.
The BK950D is US electricity compatible (100-240V), and both the BK950D and T12 tips can be easily obtained from banggood, or a variety of ebay/aliexpress sellers. (and I'm sure that not all of em are sketchy!)

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 05:33:12 am »
Okay, after scouring hakkousa.com and noting it is missing many details on many products I did some google translate on Hakko Japan. It seems the current revisions of the FX600 and FX601 are identical, the only change is part B3720 for B3730 one is T18 and the other T19 either is $7 and they are interchangeable. This is good I had been under the impression that they were very different, the Wattage discrepancy appears to be a matter of local voltage. (50w @100v in Japan, 74w @120v USA)

I really wish companies in general, both retail and wholesale, would get there shit together in regard to product info.

I might just buy the Atten and a B3730 to see if it is clone enough to convert to T19. T19 being but then there is Aoyue....

What is the reason for choosing T12/T15 vs T18/T19? Basic tip shapes in T18 are about $6-10, and T15 are $15-20 for Hakko brand, no name T18/900m are under $2. (I'll [advance]search the forum a bit too, just discovered the basic search misses many posts.) Assuming I get about 5 tip shapes, that is $45 swing in favor of a T18/19 unit.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf