Author Topic: Anyone Weller WXMT with RTW10MS tip for desoldering SOIC8/16 experience?  (Read 3072 times)

Offline KjeltTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hi,
its kinda rediculous or I am not looking in the right places, but I seem unable to find any youtube movie or even a Weller document describing if the Weller RTW 10MS (10mm) is suitable for desoldering SOIC8 to SOIC16 ic's.
I think seeing the shape of the tip it would be well suitable and probably its main purpose but where is the documentation?
Anyone has this tip or the 11MS (6mm) and can share any real life experience using it to desolder a SOIC8/16 ?
Thanks.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: Anyone Weller WXMT with RTW10MS tip for desoldering SOIC8/16 experience?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 02:40:19 pm »
I have the WMRT (looks like 24v version of the 12V WXMT but ISTBC) which I believe takes the same similar tips, and use the RTW2, RTW3 and RTW4 for rework (not for initial placement on a virgin board) and I've used them for maybe ten years.

The RTW4 has a 6mm blade. It'll remove SOIC8s and TSSOP16s. The RTW3 will remove SOT23s and MSOP10s. The RTW2 is meant for 0402/0603/0805 etc and will also remove SC70 and SOT23 with a bit of coaxing by feeding in extra solder.

To be honest, for any parts with more than two connections, I find hot air is usually a better option. You risk damaging the board by lifting pads with these tips unless you know all the pins are heated.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 02:54:00 pm by Howardlong »

The following users thanked this post: Kjelt

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 02:57:39 pm »
To add, I find Weller's product lines bewildering to say the least. I assume it's as a result of continual product refresh over the years, and at least they do continue to support older lines. That's good, because there stuff is generally built to last.

If they would just add some clarity to their product roadmap it would be appreciated as it's a minefield.

Offline KjeltTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 04:30:11 pm »
Thanks Howard for your clarification, so it would seem that this is the correct application  :-+ .
Those tips are €160 a piece so I think I will choose the 10mm instead of the 6mm then it will have more parts to handle.

Hot air, well yes if you use for all the different packages different nozzles, otherwise I find you are heating up too much of the environment.
Then it would be great if there was a temperatureresistant sucking cap in the middle of the nozzle where with vacuum it would lift the component.
Never seen those myself.
At this moment i heat up one side of the soic8 and lift it a bit, then the other half and remove the part. My guess is that a RTW10 will be a better option.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 04:40:30 pm »
Hot air, well yes if you use for all the different packages different nozzles, otherwise I find you are heating up too much of the environment.
Then it would be great if there was a temperatureresistant sucking cap in the middle of the nozzle where with vacuum it would lift the component.
Never seen those myself.

Weller WRK kit
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/apex-tool-group/T0051515599/T0051515599-ND/1801472

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 04:55:27 pm »
I second the suggestion for hot air. I use 7-SA tweezers (hook shaped) and hot air to remove chips from boards.
At 40W I think the SMD tweezers may not be up to the task. Recently I tried to remove an SMT fuse from a 4 layer board with 2x40W tweezers from Ersa but there just wasn't enough power.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline donkey77

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 10:31:34 pm »
Never seen those myself.

Weller WRK kit
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/apex-tool-group/T0051515599/T0051515599-ND/1801472

I've got this kit to use on the setup I got from you Ian. Unless I'm being a div (quite likely) I'll be buggered if I can get it to work.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf