Author Topic: Are these chinese desoldering irons/guns any good ?  (Read 30415 times)

Offline RefrigeratorTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Are these chinese desoldering irons/guns any good ?
« on: November 15, 2014, 05:05:41 pm »
Hello.
I'm a low budget guy, so i like to recycle/reuse components from other boards. I desolder alot of components and my el-cheapo desoldering pump did the job alright but it's just not good enough.
So i started looking through the web having a look at all the other options.
At first i saw this desoldering iron.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC220V-30W-Electric-Vacuum-Solder-Sucker-Desoldering-Pump-Iron-Gun-Welding-Tool-/151329596597?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233bf264b5
Then i found this thing  ??? . ( looks kinda crap )
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-30W-220V-50Hz-Electric-Vacuum-Solder-Sucker-Welding-Desoldering-Pump-Iron-Gun/1983159749.html
And lastly i found this one, which looks like the nicest of the bunch ( looks like a Hakko 808 clone ).
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-S-993A-Electric-Solder-Sucker-Vacuum-Desoldering-Pump-Gun-De-solder-Gun/916330944.html
I'd like to hear your opinions before spending my money.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline janengelbrecht

• Regular Contributor
    • JP-Electronics
Re: Are these chinese desoldering irons/guns any good ?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 05:11:51 pm »
Anything that should be connected to mains : 110V-230V AC 50/60 Hz from China via ebay or directly from China  ? no way :P I prefer to live :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 06:00:41 pm by janengelbrecht »

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 05:45:00 pm »
I dunno , but I think 30w is a bit low , I'm sure Dave has done a few vid reviews on these things , I would like one too btw ...
Soon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 06:21:17 pm »
I dunno , but I think 30w is a bit low , I'm sure Dave has done a few vid reviews on these things , I would like one too btw ...
He has done a review of the 150$ desoldering station. I have actually thought of getting that one but it's big and shipping would be too expensive.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 06:28:52 pm »
I bought one of those plunge/spring action desolder tools a few years ago from Maplin for around £10. It was ok at first, but suffers from the same problem as similar tools in that the spring recoil can make it knock SMDs off the board, damage tracks, etc. Also, it wouldn't get hot enough to desolder lead free. It's heater is now so useless as it won't even desolder lead solder. I would avoid and spend the extra on a vacuum desolder tool with decent wattage.

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 07:02:46 pm »
He has done a review of the 150$ desoldering station. I have actually thought of getting that one but it's big and shipping would be too expensive.

Was that it? I thought there was one like the Hakko 808 clone link you supplied , maybe a memory thing going on today here ..
Soon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 07:51:48 pm »
I bought one of those plunge/spring action desolder tools a few years ago from Maplin for around £10. It was ok at first, but suffers from the same problem as similar tools in that the spring recoil can make it knock SMDs off the board, damage tracks, etc. Also, it wouldn't get hot enough to desolder lead free. It's heater is now so useless as it won't even desolder lead solder. I would avoid and spend the extra on a vacuum desolder tool with decent wattage.
The 808 clone claims to be 100W with "adjustable" temperature so i guess it will be the way to go.
I was also thinking of getting one of those replacement desoldering guns for those stations like Dave got and modify it to make it compatible with my soldering station, and also modify a rather powerful aquarium pump which i have to make it suck solder.
Quite a lot more hassle that way but it would be much cheaper.

Offline AKM

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 09:28:57 am »
I`m also on the lookout for a desoldering tool, and was considering the Gaojie desoldering gun (but the higher model S-998P). Some people have reported various issues, so I decided not to purchase it. The other 2 are completely useless.
My choices are getting the Xytronic LF-853DTP(but I don`t have the money right now) or a Zhongdi desoldering station.
Zhongdi should be releasing a new desoldering station ZD-8915: http://www.china-zhongdi.com/manager/upload/pic/2014102121428probigpic.jpg so I`ll probably wait for it.

Your local electronics store seems to be selling the ZD-985 @ 75EUR (~90USD): http://old.evita.lt/det-1399631-islitavimo-stotele-zd-985-80w-220v-480c.html, but it is currently out of stock; have you tried contacting them?
If you have missed it, Dave did a video on it:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 09:47:48 am by AKM »

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 10:42:38 am »
The one that dave reviewed was slightly different, but also 80 watt, 600mm HG vacuum and 160 - 480 degee C.

He paid around $190 AUD from Rhino Tools in Sydney for the ZD-985 desoldering station, I paid $165 AUD from Radio Parts Group in Melbourne for the ZD-917, a lesser model you think ?, well google it. Radio Parts Group ZD-917. Sorry no links from a smart TV  (not yet anyway)

I got the unit from RPG and the filters and tips from Rhino Tools in Sydney.

See if you can't hunt one down under another name.

Good Value and Good Luck

Muttley

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 12:37:56 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 12:49:55 pm »
I bought a AOYUE 474A and build quality is crap, if you open the iron you see the ceramic heater almost crumbling... better spend on a very good iron or safe the money and just a handsucker and whick, just my two cents.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 02:46:47 pm »

Your local electronics store seems to be selling the ZD-985 @ 75EUR (~90USD): http://old.evita.lt/det-1399631-islitavimo-stotele-zd-985-80w-220v-480c.html, but it is currently out of stock; have you tried contacting them?
Thanks, i've haven't tried looking at the Lithuanian stores/distributors because they mostly never have what i need and if they happen to have it it's priced up really high.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 07:08:25 pm »

Thanks, i've haven't tried looking at the Lithuanian stores/distributors because they mostly never have what i need and if they happen to have it it's priced up really high.

If you have a chance to get the ZD-985 for 90USD, go for it.  I paid 150USD last December.  The unit works quite well.  It took me some time and damaging old practice boards to get used to using it, but I like it.  Much better than the Radio Shack desoldering iron that I had and hated.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline AKM

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 08:04:41 pm »
Maybe they just put the low price because it is out of stock. If it turns out to be much higher priced, maybe this could substitute:
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/sp-1010dr/desoldering-stations/solder-peak/#
It`s a rebranded ZD-915 for ~80EUR + 7.9EUR for shipping.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 08:38:34 pm »
Maybe they just put the low price because it is out of stock. If it turns out to be much higher priced, maybe this could substitute:
At first glance they look pretty damn' good. They promise 1 day shipping to the UK for only EUR 7.90. But is there customs duty and VAT and absurd UPS invoicing fees to be paid on top? Has Bosnia-Herzegovina got an EU trade agreement to stop that kind of shite?

Strangely, I have never had any problem importing goods from China and avoiding the Customs, but anything from the USA is ALWAYS fully customs dutied, VAT'ed, and UPS or DHL ridiculous handling fees added on top. |O

I wish the UK had a sensible regime like AUS - where a parcel that is only worth $1000 is allowed through. We can't get away with even £20 here. (Unless it's from China)  :palm:

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 09:09:52 pm »
And lastly i found this one, which looks like the nicest of the bunch ( looks like a Hakko 808 clone ).
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-S-993A-Electric-Solder-Sucker-Vacuum-Desoldering-Pump-Gun-De-solder-Gun/916330944.html
I'd like to hear your opinions before spending my money.

I have a similar one as this Hakko clone from eBay. In short, it does work, but don't expect miracles. I have opened it and checked the mains wiring in mine before using it, it was serviceable. It probably doesn't work as well as the Hakko, but for occasional component salvage or through-hole repair work it is good to have. It takes a while to heat up, though - so if you are pulling only a single part, you will likely do it faster with regular iron and the manual solder sucker (or wick).

Bad stuff - it can get very hot (don't rely on the tiny pot markings!) and damage boards if you aren't careful and be very rigorous about cleaning the nozzle with the provided wire very often (every few joints) - if you don't and a blob of solders solidifies in the nozzle or the tube leading to the glass reservoir, you are in a world of pain ... It can be very hard to clear, I had to drill the solder out once out of mine.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 09:32:14 pm »
Thanks for the help guys. :-+
After seeing all that you can get a whole station for 100$ seems quite nice, i might wait until Evita.lt has it in stock again, shipping inside Lithuania will definetly be cheaper than from overseas/other countries.

Offline nixfu

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 03:59:56 am »
I have had very good luck with th Aoyue 701+ I have had for 3 years.   It's been quite nice and useful over the years.  They sent lots of extra parts for the desoldering gun, and it uses hakko parts and tips.

I would recommend it myself. 

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 05:07:51 am »
If you need a desoldering iron, that probablu means the volume of usage is quite high.  Go for Hakko, the suction power is crucial and so far the China made is yet to rival that.  I do have Aoyue 474, heating is not a problem but suction is not as strong, and I bought them for use as hot standby for my Hakko, to tie over if needed. 

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 06:34:20 am »
I have the ZD985 desoldering gun, but I find myself using hot air much more often for removing stuff from borads. It's simply faster, especially if you don't care about the board itself.

The ZD station generally works, but tips are not very durable (the hole in the tip becomes enlarged from 'wiggling' pins around). The filter / metal spring / solder container assembly is so-so, sometimes hard to take apart and/or to remove the solder from it (I have to melt it out with a normal soldering iron).

For desoldering massive amounts or tht stuff from old gear, I'd recommend a hot-air or even a hardware store heat gun.
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 08:09:47 am »
I would suggest putting your money in a used pace or weller desoldering system.  I have tried the Chinese type and they are hopeless imho. Not enough suction and poor tips.

I'm probably going to go for a pace sx100+st115

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 10:10:48 am »
I have to agree again with TheBay ( that's twice today )

If it's your daily driver then you have to spend big, If it's just for the odd repair or phoenix connector scavenge as I do frequently then a cheaper unit should suffice. But watch out for prices on spares.

Just make sure it's from the good part of China.    :-DD

Muttley
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:22:41 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 10:39:48 am »
At first glance they look pretty damn' good. They promise 1 day shipping to the UK for only EUR 7.90. But is there customs duty and VAT and absurd UPS invoicing fees to be paid on top? Has Bosnia-Herzegovina got an EU trade agreement to stop that kind of shite?

Strangely, I have never had any problem importing goods from China and avoiding the Customs, but anything from the USA is ALWAYS fully customs dutied, VAT'ed, and UPS or DHL ridiculous handling fees added on top. |O

I wish the UK had a sensible regime like AUS - where a parcel that is only worth $1000 is allowed through. We can't get away with even £20 here. (Unless it's from China)  :palm:

No customs involved when buying from TME, Poland in EU.
They delivery from them is super fast too.
The website is a nightmare, be careful there.

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 01:44:13 pm »
I have to agree again with TheBay ( that's twice today )

If it's your daily driver then you have to spend big,

If it's just for the odd repair or phoenix connector
scavenge, as I do frequently, then a cheaper unit
should suffice. But watch out for prices on spares.

Just make sure it's from the good part of China.    :-DD

Muttley

2 agreements in one day, that's unusual for me  :-DD :-+

I haven't spotted the other yet, will try and find it...

Yeah some things that are cheap are actually a waste of money, they half about do a job which you probably would be better off saving up for something better, getting 2nd hand or using another method. So the cheap option costs more!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 08:25:35 pm »
Yeah some things that are cheap are actually a waste of money, they half about do a job which you probably would be better off saving up for something better, getting 2nd hand or using another method. So the cheap option costs more!
Here we go again, that's the problem, everyone just says how i should save some more, get something used.
I definetly would buy something used only if there wasnt +40$ shipping with +35$ import taxes !  :-\
I'd be happy to atleast have something, as i said my cheap little desoldering pump has gone through hell and beyond, i'd like just a (relatively) cheap upgrade without having to rob a bank.

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 08:32:32 pm »
Where in the world are you? I'm using tapatalk this minute so can't see your flag.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf