Author Topic: Automatic Paste Dispenser  (Read 8863 times)

Offline vl400Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Delcohacking.net
Automatic Paste Dispenser
« on: November 11, 2011, 05:11:16 am »
After seeing the thread on the manual paste dispenser (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5435.0) I opened up the automatic version and took some pics to compare with. Overall a very similar unit and works pretty much the same. Main difference really is this has continuous timed shots with inter delay. The 4 DIP switches on the back set the mode of operation and the time functions are set with BCD rotary switches on the front panel. The main processor is a Atmel AT89S51 running at 6MHz.

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
Re: Automatic Paste Dispenser
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 08:47:20 am »
I'm looking for a thing like that, but with the air pump inside...
doest it exists (at hobby prices ...) ?
thanks.

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 10:47:41 am »
You need high pressure air to operate these. Those little air pumps they use in hot air stations aren't powerful enough. Regular compressors aren't that expensive anyway. The one I bough cost about $130AUD and came with a bunch of accessories. I've seen the units by themselves for as low as $80.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_air-compressor-24-litre-20hp_3229.aspx

Offline hacklordsniper

• Frequent Contributor
  • Don't turn it on, take it apart!
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 11:29:28 am »
You need high pressure air to operate these. Those little air pumps they use in hot air stations aren't powerful enough. Regular compressors aren't that expensive anyway. The one I bough cost about $130AUD and came with a bunch of accessories. I've seen the units by themselves for as low as $80.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_air-compressor-24-litre-20hp_3229.aspx

I bought one for 100 $ (i was amazed how cheap it was) on sale here and spent another 100 $ on the moisture remover and oiler. http://hacklordsniper.com/Slike_projekata/Projekt_(1)/Radna%20soba/Slika%20(12).JPG . These compressors are loud enogh for head to hurt very fast.

However i regret the purchase because later i recieved a offer from from other supplier for 125 $ for a 8 L, super silent compressor with 2 bottles (2x4 L) and moisture remover and oiler installed. I think it would be much better choice for a lab

Oh, the joy of sending various electronics to silicon heaven

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 12:20:20 pm »

how much pressure and liter/minute do you need to operate a paste dispenser like this ?

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 01:39:38 pm »
I run mine at around 50psi so you would want a compressor that can achieve something higher than this. You also want one with a tank rather than a directly connected one (usually meant for inflating tyres). You might be able to use one of those small airbrushing compressors, but they have tiny tanks which means they will be constantly turning on and off to replenish the air pressure in the tank. I'm also not sure how quiet those are and all the prices i've seen have been more expensive. My compressor has a 21L tank, and a 2.5hp motor good for 95 litres per minute airflow. Takes about 2-3 minutes to completely fill from empty, and will turn itself on for ~30secs when the pressure drops too low which is about 10mins of working. Solder dispenser will still work for a fair while longer if the compressor is turned off, as the compressor fills the tank to ~120psi (turns back on at 100?) and I only need ~50.

If I'm doing a lot of work, I just use a 20m air hose, and leave the noisy thing in the garage  ;D

And yes, you *will* need an inline air drier/moisture remover. Mine cost ~$15. It will remove any oil that's been leftover in the tank as well as water vapour from the intake air that has condensed.

If you are going to buy a proper compressor, get one with the biggest tank you can afford. I regret not getting the 40L model which wasn't that much more expensive.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:57:54 pm by metalphreak »

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 02:36:54 pm »
I already have a 100L compressor, and yes this noisy thing is in the garage...
but I would like to have a small pump like my hot desoldier and hot air station in the lab
garage is more than 20 meters away from the lab ... ;)

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 12:26:45 am »
After seeing the thread on the manual paste dispenser (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5435.0) I opened up the automatic version and took some pics to compare with. Overall a very similar unit and works pretty much the same. Main difference really is this has continuous timed shots with inter delay. The 4 DIP switches on the back set the mode of operation and the time functions are set with BCD rotary switches on the front panel. The main processor is a Atmel AT89S51 running at 6MHz.

vl400, 

I bought one on EBay from hong kong that looks almost identical to your unit. ($154.00usd + $46.00usd for Air shipping (only shipping they offered) arrived in 9 days from order) The processor board looks identical but mine does not have that auxiliary board that is wire tied to the hoses and the pressure gage and vacuum/hose connection positions are swapped.  I could see where they had removed some original markings from  the unit but I could see the "983A dispensing controller" halo if i got the lighting just right.  When I googled that number I found places in china that sell it for $116.00usd & free shipping.  :'(
Do your instructions have the settings for the dip switch in the back?  I cant read Chinese.  I asked the seller for a English translation if they want positive feedback but I don't know how long that may take if ever.  If you do, would you mind posting a picture of those settings?

Thanks, robrenz

Offline vl400Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Delcohacking.net
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 10:03:21 am »
Yeah you can get them pretty cheap, I payed similar to what you did and it arrived in around a week so didnt really worry about it. Works really well too :)

Here are the instructions for the DIP switches..

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 03:34:58 pm »
vl400,

Thanks a lot, the reply I got back from the seller was less inteligible than the  original instructions

Thanks again, robrenz

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 02:50:04 am »
vl400,

This translation may apply to your unit.  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5966.0

robrenz

Offline JoeyP

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 11:12:49 pm »
I have a dispenser that's very similar but not identical. It does need fairly high pressure, but very little volume as long as you adjust the "suck back" control properly. I use it with one of those portable compressed air tanks (without the built-in compressor). I just refill it once in a while from the compressor in my garage. Lasts quite a while on a refill, and it's much nicer than listening to a compressor while you work.

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 03:51:19 pm »
I have a dispenser that's very similar but not identical. It does need fairly high pressure, but very little volume as long as you adjust the "suck back" control properly. I use it with one of those portable compressed air tanks (without the built-in compressor). I just refill it once in a while from the compressor in my garage. Lasts quite a while on a refill, and it's much nicer than listening to a compressor while you work.

I have looked *everywhere* for a portable tank in Australia, and all the prices are expensive. I can get another entire compressor and just use the tank off it for a cheaper price!

Offline mike_58

• Regular Contributor
  • LEGO playground
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 07:27:30 pm »

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 07:45:47 pm »
I have looked *everywhere* for a portable tank in Australia, and all the prices are expensive. I can get another entire compressor and just use the tank off it for a cheaper price!

I've never done it. But my standalone air tank doesn't have a water drain valve. A propane tank has a blowoff valve in it, and it is good for more pressure than a regular air compressor makes. Unless a propane tank has lower rust resistance, I don't see why this isn't a perfectly good air tank.

This guy takes it the next step and coats the inside with rust protection. Then he pressure tests to over 350 psi!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:01:43 pm by KL27x »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf