Author Topic: Should I be worried of Inductive kick with an autotransformer for 230V to 110V ?  (Read 1533 times)

Offline electronic_guyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi,
Usually when an inductive load is switched off there is a mechanism applied to stop the sudden current spike caused due to hight current change rate during switch off through the inductor.
I have bought a chinese autotransformer (shown in picture) to convert 230V to 110V to power my Hakko fx888d soldering station. I have no way of knowing the inside of the autotransformer without dissecting it and that would break the warranty seal.
Should I be really worried of this causing some damage to my soldering station when I switch off the autotransformer ? 

Thanks.

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
No.  If that worries you, leave the transformer energized and control the power at the load.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Same as any other AC power switch... if the transient is annoying, wire a snubber across the switch or load.

Inductive kick for a mechanical switch is more a matter of repetitive sparking and consequent emissions (EFT, electrical fast transients).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf