Author Topic: Baofeng UV-5R Unboxing & Teardown video  (Read 8545 times)

Offline cpuerrorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Baofeng UV-5R Unboxing & Teardown video
« on: July 21, 2015, 10:45:40 am »
A teardown of this famous bargain ham radio:

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:56:22 am by cpuerror »

The following users thanked this post: infracore

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
  • -0 Resistance is Futile
Re: Baofeng UV-5R Unboxing & Teardown video
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 10:55:11 am »
Bad link!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 10:56:36 am »
Oops, link corrected!

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 12:34:43 pm »
They are nice little radios for what they are.  I had one for awhile.  I only really used it when we went to work on one of the club's repeaters.  I ended up giving it to someone who could put it to better use than me.  They do need a better antenna as the stock antenna is basically a dummy load and manual programming is an exercise in bad language.  I bring my laptop and cable to our monthly meetings in case someone needs one programmed.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 05:41:26 pm »
Stock antenna is bad yes, and the UI without Chirp is an exercise in frustration, but it does do the job. Add a counterpoise to the antenna and it improves a lot, or just use an external antenna. I can use the unit wired to my cut down FM antenna to use the repeater 20km away with 0.5W with no problems.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 06:27:26 pm »
Stock antenna is bad yes, and the UI without Chirp is an exercise in frustration, but it does do the job. Add a counterpoise to the antenna and it improves a lot, or just use an external antenna. I can use the unit wired to my cut down FM antenna to use the repeater 20km away with 0.5W with no problems.

Those antennas are really bad, the two UV5Rs I have, the antennas are more suited for above 150MHZ. The sad part is a good antenna costs more than the radio does.
Last year I bit the bullet and bought a Kenwood THF-6, costs eleven times as much but it is fifty times the radio.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 06:45:21 pm »
I bought one about a month ago. Seems to be a good buy for the basic capabilities. I didn't even try and program it manually. Local NOAA weather is nice. I also bought a longer whip type antenna that does work better then stock one.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 07:56:08 pm »
AF6LJ, I agree that the IcKenSu handhelds are much better.  I was an only occasional user, as I said for repeater work.  The radio would sit months at a time without being turned on and the battery would hold the charge.  It worked for what I needed.  If I decide to get another handheld, I will be buying another Baofeng.  I just will never have the usage out of it to spend more than $50 for a handheld.  Yes, I will get a better antenna and continue to use Chirp.  I have owned and sold an Icom T7H dual band that, again, just wasn't being used much.  I did end up selling it for considerably less than what I paid.  I also have had an Icom IC-2AT that died and a Realistic HTX-202 that took 1 fall too many and the case split open and something internally broke.  It was cheaper in the long run to get the Baofeng than try to put Humpty Dumpty back together again ;D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 01:47:04 pm »
AF6LJ, I agree that the IcKenSu handhelds are much better.  I was an only occasional user, as I said for repeater work.  The radio would sit months at a time without being turned on and the battery would hold the charge.  It worked for what I needed.  If I decide to get another handheld, I will be buying another Baofeng.  I just will never have the usage out of it to spend more than $50 for a handheld.  Yes, I will get a better antenna and continue to use Chirp.  I have owned and sold an Icom T7H dual band that, again, just wasn't being used much.  I did end up selling it for considerably less than what I paid.  I also have had an Icom IC-2AT that died and a Realistic HTX-202 that took 1 fall too many and the case split open and something internally broke.  It was cheaper in the long run to get the Baofeng than try to put Humpty Dumpty back together again ;D

I understand and for you that might be a good choice.
However as a warning to everyone else you do get what you pay for.
The antennas are not cut for amateur frequencies.
The receiver front end is subject to overload in a high RF enviroment.

To their credit; they will get you on the air for a low price.
They are also hackable to an extent.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline urbis

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 03:13:43 pm »
I like the look of these, does anyone know of anything cost effective or bargain basement as an Airband radio?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 04:48:10 pm »
I've been looking for one but perhaps there just isn't enough potential sales volume to make one for a Baofeng price. Icom sells an HT for about $200 it's called the A14. Not a bad backup to have if you fly a lot.

Offline infracore

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 10:44:15 pm »

I'm new to ham and to the Baofeng. I have three UV-5r's.

Please, what is a "counterpoise?"

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 11:38:16 am »

I'm new to ham and to the Baofeng. I have three UV-5r's.

Please, what is a "counterpoise?"

Basically, you are adding a wire that will contact the outer ring or "ground" of the antenna socket to form a loose translation of a vertical dipole.  It would just hang down and could be attached to the radio by a ring terminal.  20 inches should be fine.  You may have to modify the case housing around the antenna socket to be able to properly screw the antenna in place.  You still want to upgrade the OEM crappy antenna for something better.  Remember that it is a reverse SMA connector--the female connector is on the radio instead of the antenna.  You could give this antenna a try:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Telescopic-AL800-High-Gain-Dual-Band-Antenna-for-BAOFENG-UV-5R-PLUS-UV-5RE-US-/171634620885?hash=item27f63879d5:g:2VUAAMXQtUxTcjzz

Offline infracore

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 01:18:18 pm »

Basically, you are adding a wire that will contact the outer ring or "ground" of the antenna socket to form a loose translation of a vertical dipole.  It would just hang down and could be attached to the radio by a ring terminal.  20 inches should be fine.  You may have to modify the case housing around the antenna socket to be able to properly screw the antenna in place.  You still want to upgrade the OEM crappy antenna for something better.  Remember that it is a reverse SMA connector--the female connector is on the radio instead of the antenna.  You could give this antenna a try:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Telescopic-AL800-High-Gain-Dual-Band-Antenna-for-BAOFENG-UV-5R-PLUS-UV-5RE-US-/171634620885?hash=item27f63879d5:g:2VUAAMXQtUxTcjzz

Thanks much GreyWoolfe! :)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 03:27:49 pm »
Very handy and dirt cheap little radio, absolutely ideal to throw in the car and listen on my slack times, performance compared to  converted VHF PMR set, not great but definitely usable and, I think, an ideal intro to VHF/UHF Ham radio.

Adding a decent whip antenna or external mag mounted antenna makes it a lot better but they do suffer desensing

Yes, the Yaesu/Kenwood/Icom etc. 'proper' transceivers are better but not that much better to justify the extra price.

The programming menu is fiddly but not that difficult to navigate, wouldn't want to have to reprogram it every day via the keypad.

Chirp makes it much simpler to set up and the programming cables are dirt cheap.

The battery clip is a bit dodgy on mine, knock the radio and the battery disconnects but looks as thugh it's still in place. a quick push and it reseats.

Once I've got my licence I will probably upgrade (but my main interest is actually HF) and when I am allowed to, I will dig out the PMR sets I converted years ago.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf