Author Topic: BCP Model 510A Universal Clock - What is this?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline RoboTechEdTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
BCP Model 510A Universal Clock - What is this?
« on: April 23, 2015, 03:02:44 pm »
Hi Everyone,

In a recent equipment auction I won a BCP Model 510A Universal Clock/DATA recovery unit for like 5 bucks. Which is great! Except, I have no clue what it does  :-// . I just figured it would be fun to tear down/learn and I didn't expect to win it (because it goes for much more online). Does anyone have a quick description of what this is and what it is used for? I attached a picture below for reference (not my unit, just the same one grabbed off Google. I dont have any close-ups of my unit right now. Can upon request if that matters)

Thanks!

Image : http://www.wyomingelectronics.net/ebay/510a.jpg

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
Re: BCP Model 510A Universal Clock - What is this?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 03:13:19 pm »
it says SONET on it.  that's your hint right there.  sonet is a phone co networking protocol for realtime data (voice, historically).

useless to anyone who does not have sonet rings at home (ie, none of us) ;)

Offline RoboTechEdTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 03:19:28 pm »
it says SONET on it.  that's your hint right there.  sonet is a phone co networking protocol for realtime data (voice, historically).

useless to anyone who does not have sonet rings at home (ie, none of us) ;)

Well that makes sense because the company that was selling the equipment focussed on fiber data/audio pretty heavily. So there is no use practically for this, and is just used for an old protocol? Okay, it probably wouldn't sell on Ebay then, so I might as well rip it apart and see if there is anything interesting internally

Thanks for the explanation!

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 07:11:13 pm »
8b10b is a modulation that embeds clocking information in the data signal (like RLL or Manchester encoding). It was very widely used in all kinds of communication standards including Ethernet. Some very high speed stuff moved on to 64b66b encoding for greater bandwidth utilization.
The device extracts the clock signal (both pulse per symbol and pulse per byte) and also re-encodes the data using the recovered clock. The SONET protocol is about framing at a higher level: it's not obvious that this device does anything with the SONET frame specifically.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf