Author Topic: benchtop drill press  (Read 4811 times)

Offline Alex EisenhutTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
benchtop drill press
« on: May 09, 2015, 02:26:33 am »
Anyone know if this thing is good or not? There's one at work that looks exactly like this and it feels good and seems to run true.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6mm-MINI-DRILL-PRESS-COMPACT-BENCHTOP-DRILL-JEWELER-HOBBY-3-SPEEDS-MAX-8500-RPM-/380915111290?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b04f557a

Yes I'll ask them where they got it too.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: benchtop drill press
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 02:34:07 am »
Can you find out if your at work unit will hold bits less than 1mm?
Many chucks won't.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 02:48:59 am »
Many chucks won't.

Good question. Aren't there baby chucks you can put in the bigger chuck?
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 02:57:20 am »
Many chucks won't.

Of course, but you then start getting unacceptable levels of runout, unless you want to clock and adjust the mini-chuck every time you mount it. For small high speed drills you want a standard sized shank and a collet mount.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 03:03:25 am »
Many chucks won't.

Yep, but who'd want to? PITA.
With your linked unit you only have 5" to start with, put a block/sheet of wood down to protect the bed and you'll have even less. Add another chuck and at best you'll have only 3 1/2" left. Add small drill, there's another 1 1/2" gone and now 2" left to work with. Get the idea?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:26:02 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 11:19:43 am »
Hopefully the quill is better supported than the vast majority of full size Chinese bench drills which tend to have huge amounts of slop.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 11:49:28 am »
Hopefully the quill is better supported than the vast majority of full size Chinese bench drills which tend to have huge amounts of slop.

Very doubtful.  Even "high-end" drill presses have done away with the split-head design, and now all depend on the fit between the quill and the bosses in the case.  They make it even worse by putting the bosses too close together to get maximum quill stroke.  This is a fine method, and generally how mills are made (Bridgeport, for example), but when THEY do it, the bosses are chromed, and then precision lapped to perfection.  Just that step alone costs more than any drill press you'll find from Delta, Powermatic, etc...  I gave up looking and simply fixed my Delta by drilling 4 holes in the front corners of the casting, and inserting a nylon plug with setscrews to tighten up the quill.  Now I have no slop.

The thing is, the smaller the bit, the less runout you can tolerate before the bit just simply snaps, never mind making round holes.

Now Clausing...THEY still make a superb drill press.

Anyhow, it only has a 1" stroke.  That's a good thing, actually.  For $80, expect an $80 drill press, but I'm a little encouraged that it has a very limited stroke.  You have at least some hope that it will be reasonably tight.

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 12:31:58 pm »

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 01:02:23 am »
I asked. They said it's crap. It broke the day they bought it...  |O

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 09:21:05 am »
I have a sears/craftsman drill press that I use for one-off PCB.  The runout is so small I have no problem with drilling PCB's.

0.35mm bits turn true with no wobble what so ever.  It only runs at about 4000 rpms - I wish it would do faster (7k would be better).  But, on the plus side you can change it's speed to like 500 RPMs.  And that's really handy for drilling plastic cases, or when you need to go slow with metal.  It's a win-win.

I paid $80 for it on sale.  Fathers day (June 20th weekend) is when you want to look for sale prices in the US.

It comes with a laser guide that is totally worthless for drilling.

Sears has weird formatted links that don't pasted well - but search for "Craftsman 10 Bench Drill Press with Laser"  with 1/2 HP motor.  And you should find it.  I'm sure they buy it from someone else - so it most likely re-branded and available else where.

Harbor freight(or Canada's version - what's it called - kelli auto or something?) might have a knock version of it - but made with cheaper parts - So if mine ever fails, I'm going to get another from sears/craftsman.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf