Author Topic: Best 20 euros miltimeter from Ebay  (Read 13007 times)

Offline FlevasGRTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Best 20 euros miltimeter from Ebay
« on: March 05, 2015, 01:36:36 pm »
Hello guys, im trying to find a goood multimeter within my budget on Ebay but it's really hard to find something good mostly because when you find something some people will recommend it and others will say that it's crap.

The first i found was the VC97 ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/111574366440?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ) which mjlorton says that is 'ok' (also Dave had a video about VC99). After searching on EEV forums 50% of the people saying that its a piece of crap and the others the opposite.
I simply can't decide which one should i pick. I mostly want it for my arduino projects.
Any suggestions?

Offline sainter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Best 20 euros miltimeter from Ebay
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 02:00:46 pm »

A tear down of this Multimeter. By the looks of it, i Would use it on mains power. Depends what are you going to do with it?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 02:03:31 pm »

A tear down of this Multimeter. By the looks of it, i Would use it on mains power. Depends what are you going to do with it?
Well, mostly mesuring DC voltage from my arduino, resistance and current

Offline sainter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 02:14:50 pm »
https://toolsreviewer.com/top-10-best-multimeters/
Best bang for the buck.

I use Mastech MS8229 . For low precision work it's OK, and the alarm of improperly connected leads are very useful at the beginning. Try to find something like that second hand, of add few Euro and buy a new one.
But keep your expectations low, because for the price point, nothing wonderful is out there.

P.S. if you thinking about Mastech MS8229 i could give more or less the best and the worst about it.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 02:23:05 pm »
Best bang for the buck.

I use Mastech MS8229 . For low precision work it's OK, and the alarm of improperly connected leads are very useful at the beginning. Try to find something like that second hand, of add few Euro and buy a new one.
But keep your expectations low, because for the price point, nothing wonderful is out there.

P.S. if you thinking about Mastech MS8229 i could give more or less the best and the worst about it.

I kinda need good precision :/ However i found 10 more euros and now i have 30 to spend!

Offline sainter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 02:40:49 pm »
sorry my bad... i use Mastech MS8268.

For the price of 30 EUR you will not find anything good new, try searching for second hand one. Why do you need high precision? 

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 02:48:05 pm »
sorry my bad... i use Mastech MS8268.

For the price of 30 EUR you will not find anything good new, try searching for second hand one. Why do you need high precision?
I know. I dont get the same quality as a fluke but i want the less crapy :P
The maximun voltage you're going to mesure for arduino is 12V. It's not high voltage. Even VC97 is pretty much "ok" but i would love to hear more suggestions. Also the VC99 is at this price tag

Offline lpc32

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 04:02:19 pm »
Another option for ~32EUR is the Digitek DT-4000ZC which includes logging through USB:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/fs-digitek-dt-4000zc-tekpower-tp4000zc-with-discount/

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 05:01:47 pm »
I use the UNI-T UT-136b, got it for 17 bucks. I'm quite happy with it.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 05:19:10 pm »
Uni-T makes some passable meters in that range. The Digitek is pretty good as well for the price. Used might be your best value though if you can find something.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 05:43:40 pm »
I'm currently using this 10$ meter. It's not accurate at all but thats what i have :P so any meter will be better than this

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 06:41:23 pm »
If you can't spend 45 euro to get a good safe meter, then I would recommend the UT136B. I ave one too and reviewed it.

Save the rest of your money until you can get something better, like a UT139C.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 06:54:18 pm »
The problem is that im getting so many suggestions :/ i dont know whichone to chose

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 08:02:49 pm »
I don't know who wrote that article above, but there are numerous errors in it.  For those using that article as a buying guide or bible, I suggest you check the user manual and manufacturer website to confirm what you read.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:11:50 pm by retiredcaps »

Offline Harrkev

• Contributor
  • ASIC Design Engineer
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 08:09:32 pm »
The problem is that im getting so many suggestions :/ i dont know whichone to chose
Does it REALLY matter?  For Arduino stuff, you will mostly make sure that your shield has power, measure resistors, and stuff like that.  I have never owned a Fluke or other high-end meter.  I only recently (last three months) got something auto-ranging (Extech that was on clearance from Radio Shack).  Do I have any problems with cheap meters?  None.  None at all.  For digital work at 12V and below, a $7 Harbor Freight meter is all that most people need.  They are not as rugged, but I don't drop my meters.  They might not be as accurate, but 3.3V logic will work anywhere between 3.0 and 3.6V.

If you intend to regularly poke your meter in anything over 100 V, or if you are doing some sensitive analog design, then certainly go for the nicer ones.

The two things that I appreciate in higher-end meters are: capacitance tester (nice to have), and a bar-graph display (want one that has this).

If you want something nicer, then just make sure that you get a semi-decent brand, and be happy.  I doubt that there are any BAD choices in the bunch.

Just my $0.02, and worth every penny.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 08:51:26 pm »
Does it REALLY matter?  For Arduino stuff, you will mostly make sure that your shield has power, measure resistors, and stuff like that.  I have never owned a Fluke or other high-end meter.  I only recently (last three months) got something auto-ranging (Extech that was on clearance from Radio Shack).  Do I have any problems with cheap meters?  None.  None at all.  For digital work at 12V and below, a $7 Harbor Freight meter is all that most people need.  They are not as rugged, but I don't drop my meters.  They might not be as accurate, but 3.3V logic will work anywhere between 3.0 and 3.6V.

If you intend to regularly poke your meter in anything over 100 V, or if you are doing some sensitive analog design, then certainly go for the nicer ones.

The two things that I appreciate in higher-end meters are: capacitance tester (nice to have), and a bar-graph display (want one that has this).

If you want something nicer, then just make sure that you get a semi-decent brand, and be happy.  I doubt that there are any BAD choices in the bunch.

Just my $0.02, and worth every penny.
Pretty much the answer i was expecting. I'm more concerned with the reliability and how many years a meter like VC99 will last. I just dont want to buy it and after 1 week explode or anything.

Offline chrisstra84

• Contributor
  • DO2EC
    • Ortsverband Werl O49
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 08:54:03 pm »
Hello!

I’m very happy with my UT139C.

Before this, I used a “düwi 07974” (a low cost multimeter for just 10 or 15 €) and it’s okay for low voltages or if you want to measure resistance. I’m still use it as a second multimeter...

For example:
http://www.akkuwelt-netphen.de/MultimeterDigitalDuewi07974withLCDDigitalDisplay_p4933_len_x2.htm

Christian

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 09:31:11 pm »
I would agree to what Lightages said in his review, for 30EUR you can have a UT-136B + UT-136D delivered to your doors, and those two will cover anything that you will ever want to test, voltage, capacitance, temperature, current etc., etc.
I had many mishaps, blown fuses, drops, you name it, but my UT-136B still works like new, and it's cheaper than the Vichy.
Ps: two meters are better than one, you should always have something to compare to.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:47:04 pm by Refrigerator »
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 01:31:52 am »
It has to be eBay? DX.com is not an option?

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 03:47:54 am »

I suggest the DT830B and buy a good 0.1 ohm current sense resister.

The DT830 is around $1(USD) plus shipping, amazing performance for the dollar.  I will get you to well within 5% accuracy expected by "consumer class electronics".  (I got this 5% from one of Dave's video).

The meter is stable, durable, and pretty darn accurate for $1.  It saids 1000V on the range marking, but if you do stick it into 1000V, Dawin award for you - likely posthumous.

It has ranges for current measurement.  But I suspect you would like to measure it with lower burden voltage.  The DT830B with a 0.1ohm allows you to measure to 1mA resolution with burden voltage at merely 0.1V per amp.

I have two DT830B, normally used as "panel meter" (one for Volt and one for current with 0.1ohm/1%/3W for current sense) for my power source.  Whenever I need to, they serve as just a DMM.

Rick

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 04:30:20 am »

Just get the UT136B. You won't regret it. It's a good value and plenty good enough for Arduino work.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 11:57:44 am »

I suggest the DT830B and buy a good 0.1 ohm current sense resister.

The DT830 is around $1(USD) plus shipping, amazing performance for the dollar.  I will get you to well within 5% accuracy expected by "consumer class electronics".  (I got this 5% from one of Dave's video).

The meter is stable, durable, and pretty darn accurate for $1.  It saids 1000V on the range marking, but if you do stick it into 1000V, Dawin award for you - likely posthumous.

It has ranges for current measurement.  But I suspect you would like to measure it with lower burden voltage.  The DT830B with a 0.1ohm allows you to measure to 1mA resolution with burden voltage at merely 0.1V per amp.

I have two DT830B, normally used as "panel meter" (one for Volt and one for current with 0.1ohm/1%/3W for current sense) for my power source.  Whenever I need to, they serve as just a DMM.

Rick

I could buy both DT830B and UT136B :)

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 12:12:12 pm »

Get one of those el cheapo 830 meters (from free to $5) and treat yourself with a meal from the savings.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Gromitt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 01:44:26 pm »

Get one of those el cheapo 830 meters (from free to $5) and treat yourself with a meal from the savings.

Aren't those illegal to sell in the EU?

Offline cosmicray

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 03:10:42 pm »
I'm going to paraphrase the OP's question in a different way ...

Once you step above the Cen-Tech $5USD most-basic DMM, where is the next grouping of better quality / more functions DMM to be had ? Is it at 30 EUR ? What improvements do you get at that price point ?
it's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious - R. Rabbit

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf