Author Topic: Best precision screwdriver set?  (Read 95457 times)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: Best precision screwdriver set?
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2014, 10:26:09 am »
I use a powered screwdriver for all work except precision only because most tasks require a delicate touch, but no reason you should not.  Better powered than not working at all. 

Clones:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-lighted-cordless-power-precision-screwdriver/p-00936637000P

http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-Instruments-500-Screwdriver/dp/B002XZLTQO

im old and manual is not the way for me anymore with arthritis, do you guys use any automatic precision screwdrivers
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 10:40:16 am by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2014, 01:00:26 pm »
Ended up with Wiha's Drive-Loc series for this reason.
I just bought this system6 set but now I am reading through the whole catalogue I thing I better had ordered the system4 set because those are the precision system going as low as T1 and T2.

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2014, 01:50:07 pm »
Thanks.  Got myself 2 sets of "General" battery powered precision screwdriver last week when Amazon was running a sale at less than $9 each.  Not too powerful but shall be good enough for a lot of work.  The small size makes it very useful as it can be easily carried around, and also can be stuck to a magnetic bar and so make it easy to locate, and store.   Other types are still needed, but this one is a winner to me.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 03:38:52 pm by all_repair »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2014, 09:50:51 pm »
I just bought this system6 set but now I am reading through the whole catalogue I thing I better had ordered the system4 set because those are the precision system going as low as T1 and T2.
System 4 is very useful, and gets used often (precision drivers as you mentioned).

System 6 is for more common sizes such as Philips #2, which gets a lot of use as I have a habit of burying my dedicated driver (likely Pozidrive #2 in the EU). It's also the one that gets the most driver types, including security drivers. Aside from the Philips, the security Torx get used the most, as they can be used on standard Torx screws.

Given all of the drivers available that aren't in System 4, I wouldn't consider your System 6 purchase a mistake. The mistake was actually not buying the System 4 to go with it.  :o  :P

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2014, 02:39:16 pm »
 ;D a mistake that can be fixed  ;)

Offline jetwolfk2

• Contributor
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2014, 05:40:41 pm »
I use a powered screwdriver for all work except precision only because most tasks require a delicate touch, but no reason you should not.  Better powered than not working at all. 

Clones:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-lighted-cordless-power-precision-screwdriver/p-00936637000P

http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-Instruments-500-Screwdriver/dp/B002XZLTQO

im old and manual is not the way for me anymore with arthritis, do you guys use any automatic precision screwdrivers

i tried that and it didnt have enough power to be useful for anything plus it was slow so i could use manual faster

did you have different results

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2014, 08:45:21 pm »
IMHO powered drivers just save my hands from injury, arthritis or RSD.  It can be as fast as hands, but why wear my wrist out?  Use the driver for the repetitive twisting task but after hand tightening or loosening to insure its not over-tight or to prevent the driver from stripping the head of soft screws, such as on cellphones.

There is a mod you can do to increase the speed, by removing the reduction gear:

There is a Wiha version that is expensive and not well received:

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-75989-System-Powered-40-Piece/dp/B007HGNXF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403467360&sr=8-1&keywords=wiha+powered+precision+driver

If you want more speed you can get a 1/4" Hex Drive Power precision Driver Bit adapter to use on regular size powered drivers:

http://www.amazon.com/Moody-Tools-Chromium-Vanadium-Screwdriver/dp/B007NLP9AU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403469107&sr=8-1&keywords=Moody+Tools+Adapter+Set

I find long neck drivers more versatile than short stocky hex drivers, since many devices have screws recessed in the chassis.

i tried that and it didnt have enough power to be useful for anything plus it was slow so i could use manual faster
did you have different results
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:51:15 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline multiJ

• Contributor
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2014, 06:35:39 pm »
Just picked up these bad boys on ebay.  100% Made in Germany,  Wittron,  the electronics line from Witte. They feel and look incredibly precise and nice.

This Witte Wittron set certainly looks very nice. How do the tips hold up after (any) use please?
I have used Wiha Precision (these with the older handles), Wiha Picofinish (latest handles with the "curve"), and Facom for electronics (bought approx. a year ago), and the tips in the first set (Wiha Precision) seem to hold up better than the rest.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2014, 11:31:28 am »
System 4 is very useful, and gets used often (precision drivers as you mentioned).

System 6 is for more common sizes such as Philips #2, which gets a lot of use as I have a habit of burying my dedicated driver (likely Pozidrive #2 in the EU). It's also the one that gets the most driver types, including security drivers. Aside from the Philips, the security Torx get used the most, as they can be used on standard Torx screws.

Given all of the drivers available that aren't in System 4, I wouldn't consider your System 6 purchase a mistake. The mistake was actually not buying the System 4 to go with it.  :o  :P

After reading what you say about system 4 and system 6, it seemed as if it was just two prepackaged sets, but looking around it exists many different sets of each?

What is the difference of system4 and 6?, size of bits, and handle?

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2014, 11:41:32 am »
System 4 = 4mm hex for the bit bodys
System 6 = 6mm hex for the bit bodys

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2014, 12:11:39 pm »
System 4 = 4mm hex for the bit bodys
System 6 = 6mm hex for the bit bodys

Aha, 4 is what they also call micro bits?, and 6, is that somewhat smaller than the normal 1/4" bits?

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2014, 12:24:02 pm »
6mm = .2362"
1/4" = .250"
difference = .35mm or .0138"

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2014, 02:49:18 pm »
After reading what you say about system 4 and system 6, it seemed as if it was just two prepackaged sets, but looking around it exists many different sets of each?

What is the difference of system4 and 6?, size of bits, and handle?
One set in Drive-Loc System 4 (can get singles, but it's more costly). Multiple sets in Drive-Loc System VI, as well as blades and handles that don't come in sets at all (the big master set comes closest).

Aha, 4 is what they also call micro bits?, and 6, is that somewhat smaller than the normal 1/4" bits?
Yes, micro bit is synonymous with what they term as System 4 in terms of shaft diameter.

Biggest difference with the Drive-Loc (vs. standard System 4), is both the longer length and dimples on the flat sides of the hex (locking detents). Physical shaft diameter (point to point on the hex) of the blades is the same respectively. No equivalent non-dimpled version in System 6.

Drive-Loc 6 will not work with standard 1/4" bits. They actually fit inside the round part of the hole/sleeve, but do not engage the hex pattern (just spin in the handle). Pressing the dimple release button/collar doesn't solve this (don't have any true 6.0mm shafts to try other than the Drive-Loc). I expect most 3rd party bits are actually 1/4" (0.250"/6.3mm) anyway, but pay attention to below, as there may be a potential issue that does exist with System 4 (read on).

System 4 OTOH, standard 1" long 4mm shaft bits I have will (Kronus brand). Meaning they engage the hex, and will turn a screw. More importantly however, if you push the dimple release collar and push on the bit (overcome the springs on the detent balls), you can potentially lose it down the handle. And if there's not enough poking out to get hold of it with pliers or something, you'd have to drill the handle to retrieve the bit (going from the opposite end should still allow the handle to function, though cosmetically unappealing).

As it happens, Wiha sells adapter blades, such as one for 1/4" bits for System VI. There's at least a 4mm standard bit adapter blade that I recall seeing in the EU catalog (not sure if there are any others). Not absolutely necessary with System 4, but it would be safer (no way to lose the bit down the handle if you're not thinking/distracted).

There's even a 1/4' drive socket blade for System VI (discontinued selling it in North America, but still available in the EU catalog last I saw). Nice little cost saver IMHO, as it can eliminate the need for most nut drivers if you have the appropriate 1/4" drive sockets (I find mine very useful).

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2014, 03:42:35 am »
Just picked up these bad boys on ebay.  100% Made in Germany,  Wittron,  the electronics line from Witte. They feel and look incredibly precise and nice.

This Witte Wittron set certainly looks very nice. How do the tips hold up after (any) use please?
I have used Wiha Precision (these with the older handles), Wiha Picofinish (latest handles with the "curve"), and Facom for electronics (bought approx. a year ago), and the tips in the first set (Wiha Precision) seem to hold up better than the rest.

I actually took apart a pair of galaxy s3 phones last weekend.  I must say having a nice set of freely spinning precision screwdrivers made a surprising difference. The motion of these was very fluid with no sticking or rough points. By spinning I'm referring to how the upper red/white(or gray) section spins independently of the yellow body. It's incredibly fluid and smooth in rotation.  We have all used cheap screwdrivers where the rotation binds or feels rough at points. These move smooth as butter. It made applying vertical force very easy while rotating the body with my other hand.

After use there is a bit of maring(sp?) to the black oxide finish because of a few stripped screws, that someone else mangled, but that happens a lot with black oxide tips anyways . More importantly the underlying metal, beneath the black coat , appears completely unfazed. How they last long term only time will tell but I'm very pleased so far.

A few images that I stepped to take of the #00 tip. Not easy with a camera phone but I tried to angle it to show how there appears to be no wear to the base metal (the lines are still straight with no bowing in).

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 03:59:42 am by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline multiJ

• Contributor
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2014, 06:41:24 pm »
Thank you for the comments and the pics :)

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2014, 06:16:11 am »
Thank you for the comments and the pics :)

Since that post I have assembled and/or disassembled a dozens (if not hundreds) of screws using that set. It's behaving beautifully, in fact the more I use it the more I am liking it. Still no signs of wear on the metal and not much further wear on the black oxide coating. I haven't used the flat heads at all yet, but I have used the philips extensively.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2014, 08:55:20 am »
The motor was found to be 5V rated so I tried using  a Li + NiMH AAA.  I have been using for a week now, so far the motor and the gear are holding well, and the speed has increased quite a bit. 

Update: I have burned 2 of the motors using using Li + NiMH combo, and the torque was too much for the gears also.   Trying out with 1 Li and a dummy cell (using a 4mm Banana metal body).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 01:56:27 am by all_repair »

Offline tridentsx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2014, 02:48:31 pm »
Anyone has this set of ESD screwdrivers that are american made ?
I actually looked at the Wiha set and the ergonomics are not that good. Looking at the plastic casting you could see the split lines and it just didn't give me the german engineering wibe.

I haven't used moody tools before so I really don't know how their quality is?

http://carkart.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2147062569&gclid=CjwKEAjwsdafBRC2rYuDuYXk2TESJACsUN_uXqoozWnDdZ1B0f-sWyHnTm4csEyCiUL5o2f9XTZvxxoCj8bw_wcB

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2014, 04:09:13 pm »
I haven't used moody tools before so I really don't know how their quality is?
Quite decent actually IME (blade fit). Do watch their blue anodized aluminum handles though, as it can come off on your fingers.

Couple of alternative sources (also less expensive for that particular set):
Moody Tools 73-0399 @ Amazon (has some reviews)
Moody Tools 73-0399 @ All-Spec (should come out to ever so slightly cheaper than Amazon after shipping)

Some complaints of duplication on this particular kit in the Amazon reviews, so pay attention to the kit contents carefully for your purposes.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2014, 08:33:26 pm »
Personally, I find the moody ones to be well made but super thin. I have the simple flat tip ESD set. The machining of the bits is top notch (especially compared to the cheap General Tools chinese knockoff) but found the handle to be too thin for my large hands. Having used the aforementioned Witte and Wera quite a bit recently, I like both of these way more. The Wera have tips that fit the screw head a bit better than the Witte but the Witte hands down has the nicer handle (it is so incredibly smooth and effortless I don't know how else to describe it but it feels so nice).

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2014, 01:55:12 am »
Personally, I find the moody ones to be well made but super thin. I have the simple flat tip ESD set. The machining of the bits is top notch (especially compared to the cheap General Tools chinese knockoff) but found the handle to be too thin for my large hands. Having used the aforementioned Witte and Wera quite a bit recently, I like both of these way more. The Wera have tips that fit the screw head a bit better than the Witte but the Witte hands down has the nicer handle (it is so incredibly smooth and effortless I don't know how else to describe it but it feels so nice).
I like my Wiha Drive-Loc handles I have better than Moody as well.

Find they're more comfortable to use than Wiha's standard precision screwdrivers, especially when you really need to apply some torque (System 4 specifically, as System 6 is what you'd find on a typical Philips #2). They're more expensive than the classic line however (buying in sets wherever possible), and are a bit restricted on a few of the specialty profiles (missing Pentalobe last I checked for example). No idea on the Pico style handles.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2015, 12:22:43 am »
Reviving this old thread.
I took the plunge and bought a bunch of Wiha Precision screwdrivers.
Shopping around, I bumped into this series of home-made stands from KC Tool in the US:
http://www.kctoolco.com/Storage-Organization-Wiha-Knipex-Wera-Gedore-s/3486.htm?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=3486&show=33&page=1&brand=KC%20Tool

They have 5x5 and 5x10 models in natural aluminum or black anodized aluminum finishes. I just bough the 5x10 model and it is very nice. Very sturdy and hefty and perfect for the Wiha set, but it fits other brands as shown on the picture.
They are a nice alternative for the 92190 50-piece set with stand. They also come in 5x5 for those who only want a few sets, which I think is a pretty common situation.

I was about to get the 5x5 and just a slotted+Phillips set, but found a good price on the 92191 51-piece without stand and went with the 5x10 instead (and I am even getting an additional 5x5 and a few more sets...).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 12:26:16 am by LaurentR »

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2015, 10:44:28 pm »
Finally I ordered some of these tools, got these:
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B001JG9DPW/ref=pe_386171_38075861_TE_item
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B001JG9DC0/ref=pe_386171_38075861_TE_item
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B001JG7HOQ/ref=pe_386171_38075861_TE_item

Got it today, looks like very good tools, I found it was kinda cheaper to buy kits like this, instead of singles without the handle.
Not so sure if these wrap folders are a good way of keeping them, kinda difficult to find the ones to use, but I guess it doesn't exists other stands/holders for these.

The system4 was lot smaller than I expected, will be interresting to see how well these holds up to some abuse.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2015, 01:12:58 am »
Finally I ordered some of these tools, got these:
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B001JG9DPW/ref=pe_386171_38075861_TE_item
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B001JG9DC0/ref=pe_386171_38075861_TE_item
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B001JG7HOQ/ref=pe_386171_38075861_TE_item

Got it today, looks like very good tools, I found it was kinda cheaper to buy kits like this, instead of singles without the handle.
Not so sure if these wrap folders are a good way of keeping them, kinda difficult to find the ones to use, but I guess it doesn't exists other stands/holders for these.
Nice.  :) Definitely cheaper in kits than singles.  :-+

Mine came with the green pouches (Wiha 91118), which only allow you to see a single end, so makes finding the right blade even harder.  :-- But they're intended to be primarily used in field work, so being able to save both space and weight take precedence. The roll included in your sets seem better thought out to me, as you can see both ends, and each blade is captive (multiples flop around in the pocket on mine; the flap keeps them from sliding out).

If you're using them often on a bench, you can use trays or make your own (i.e. one slot per blade routed in plastic or wood).

On a side note, there's a 1/4" square drive adapter blade for using sockets (Wiha 7803). If you already have 1/4"dr. sockets, you can do away with the nut driver blades (return them for a refund). Using it with deep sockets fit shafts better too.  ;) This was so common here in the US, they stopped selling it here (I got lucky and found one of the last ones left here  >:D). Could put ~ 65EUR back in your pocket.  8)

The 7802 Bit Adapter might be of interest as well (allows you to use standard, less expensive 1" or 2.5" long 1/4" hex bits, such as security profiles for example).

The system4 was lot smaller than I expected, will be interresting to see how well these holds up to some abuse.
FWIW, I've had mine a few years, and they're holding up well.  :-+ The colored paint does wear off (rather easily in fact), but that's not a big deal IMHO. And you can repaint with small bottles of model paint or nail polish if you wish (it does help hold screws IME).

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2015, 06:23:42 am »
Yeah they are very nice also to use mobile for repairs at friends/family.
I use the sys4 more then the 6, also tip you can order ESD proof handles for these systems.
The hexnut I was unaware they had them, thanks order is on the way ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf