Author Topic: Best precision screwdriver set?  (Read 95795 times)

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
Re: Best precision screwdriver set?
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 02:47:30 am »
I gave up trying to find a decent precision (AKA jeweler's) screwdriver set.  I tend to find individual small screwdrivers that are reasonable quality and buy replacements when they wear down too much.  A lot of tip breakages comes down to using the wrong screwdriver for the job I've found.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 05:15:58 am »
I always bought bunch of those cheap ones, and before used, always did heat/cold treatment by burning them on the tip with butane torch until its really bright yellow, and a quick stab into a block of ice or dip into icy water, although the tip will be a bit brittle, but it will be really hard and and it just won't bend or deform.

Once chipped, just throw it away and grab another fresh one, much-much less stressful, at least for me.

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 09:30:58 am »
BAHCO tools are also great. Downside is that they are rather expensive. 24pc set of precision screwdrivers (#706-5) is >100€. Smaller (5-6pc) sets are around 35-40€.

I don't own these, but I have some other BAHCO stuff and it's really top quality (and price....).
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 11:13:18 am »
Yes, I think so, but I used a Taiwan driver, albeit it was 1.4mm, without issue on the same project.  No problems or deformation.  I feel Wiha has changed the formulation, so the strength of the metal isn't obvious until you go down to small tips, either that or I have a quality control problem with my driver.

I gave up trying to find a decent precision (AKA jeweler's) screwdriver set.  I tend to find individual small screwdrivers that are reasonable quality and buy replacements when they wear down too much.  A lot of tip breakages comes down to using the wrong screwdriver for the job I've found.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 11:15:14 am »
Thanks quarks, yes thank you. Since it was your driver I presume you are in Germany and I am in the USA, it strongly suggests something is wrong at production level, since we are sampling a tool worlds away, and likely different production batches.  So the problem, likely isn't just a chance error.

I was repairing a miniature data logger with precision screws and found I twisted the tip of a #1 slotted Wiha driver nearly identical to this report; I don't have a microscope so I could take a good photo with my camera:

I'm not sure I'd buy these again, particularly at this size, #1 slotted, the real test of precision drivers are in the smallest tips, as it has the least mass; it requires strength, small size and precision.   Its seems Wiha's older formulation was superior.

The picture is from me and I  must say my older Wiha drivers are superior.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline jamesp15

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2013, 09:38:30 pm »
I would contact them directly, when I had a deformed screwdriver (not one of the precision kinds, a full sized/standard slotted) that was used as a pry bar they replaced it and didnt want the old one back from me even. (was 2 years or so ago)   

as a side note:  never loan good tools to people who dont know how to use them...   (I now keep a cheap set on hand to loan people.)

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 09:40:15 pm »
Yea this is why I have always gone the "buy a ton of the cheap ones and just throw them away when they wear out" route. I dont really believe there are any worth the money high priced ones anymore. I think they all have gone cheap. Could be wrong, but Im not going to spend a fortune on various brands bits to find out.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2013, 10:15:44 am »
On bold items, I will do or have done this.  Yes, my cheapo Taiwan set was my loaner set, and it seems to be made fairly close to the 'top' brand.

I would contact them directly, when I had a deformed screwdriver (not one of the precision kinds, a full sized/standard slotted) that was used as a pry bar they replaced it and didnt want the old one back from me even. (was 2 years or so ago)   

as a side note:  never loan good tools to people who dont know how to use them...   (I now keep a cheap set on hand to loan people.)

Maybe this is a lesson for today.... those of you with old tools of the venerable brands, don't lose them, they are likely heirloom quality just like the way they made old HP gear. 

Yea this is why I have always gone the "buy a ton of the cheap ones and just throw them away when they wear out" route. I dont really believe there are any worth the money high priced ones anymore. I think they all have gone cheap. Could be wrong, but Im not going to spend a fortune on various brands bits to find out.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 12:37:40 pm »
Warning! wandering babble ahead

This discussion has made me realize a most excellent straight blade screwdriver could be made from a high quality tap. The heat treat and metalurgy on these cannot be compromised and still be a good product. High wear resistance yet still mechanicaly tough are a must.  A "good" tap is in the $10 to $25 range for one tap in a small (m3 to m8) size range. You are paying for premium particle metalurgy tool steels and flawless heat treating procedures.  Yes they are worth the price premium, (1) $25 tap can outlast (50) $5 taps if you are working on tougher materials.

High speed steel drill blanks could used also but they are not in the same league as high end taps as far as material quality goes. But they are only about $2.50 for a 3mm dia blank.

BUT :scared: :scared: :scared:
These tools will shatter when over stressed sending blinding shards of metal everywhere. So safety glasses are a must.  That is why the screwdriver manufacturers err on the side of ductility rather than hardness/wear resistance. Most of us would complain if a screwdiver failed in a brittle fracture mode rather than a gradual yielding.  So get your Dremel out and grind yourself a few blades.  Even though overheating is not advisable, high speed steels do not loose their temper from overheating like standard screw driver materials do.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 04:21:31 pm »
So get your Dremel out and grind yourself a few blades.  Even though overheating is not advisable, high speed steels do not loose their temper from overheating like standard screw driver materials do.

Great idea, this made me think to use few of my used & old Hanson taps. Btw, Hanson (Irwin) brand should has decent steel inside it right ?

Robrenz, how about making a short video on how to do that "properly" using simple rotary tool & grinder like Dremel, and make a simple yet effective handle for it too, I bet lots of fellows here will love it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:40:56 pm by BravoV »

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 06:08:32 pm »
Great idea, this made me think to use few of my used & old Hanson taps. Btw, Hanson (Irwin) brand should has decent steel inside it right ?

It will probably make a decent screwdriver but Hanson is a very low quality tap by industrial standards.

Robrenz, how about making a short video on how to do that "properly" using simple rotary tool & grinder like Dremel, and make a simple yet effective handle for it too, I bet lots of fellows here will love it.

I may just do that :)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 06:19:09 pm »

It will probably make a decent screwdriver but Hanson is a very low quality tap by industrial standards.
Yes, they're cheap one, but I'm no machinist, and I believe I've just done few tap holes for last 5 years.  ;D

These taps are maybe more than 15 years old and none chipped yet, and from the look & feel, I guess it has better steel than those el-cheapo screw driver, not very sure though.

I may just do that :)

Great, eagerly waiting for it  !  :-+

Btw, if you've decided to do it, please, make the video as such that its doable by your audiences that are just an avg Joes that have only a simple rotary tool like Dremel and maybe other common tools as well, instead of using those cool professional machinist tools you have there.  :'(
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:30:53 pm by BravoV »

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 09:12:05 am »
Another good idea Rob. I have actually made center punches from taps and they hold up remarkably well. They're a lot tougher than most people think. You could even make some Phillips drivers with some CBN grinding pins. Maybe even Torx. You'd need to be at least a hobbyist level machinist to do a good job on anything but a flat blade though.

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2013, 06:27:33 am »
For tougher material, also Tungsten Carbide can be used. Endmills are being made out of it. Carbide is extremely hard (i suppose you couldn't put a scratch on it using any tool made of metal) but also brittle.

I have ground broken carbide endmills into micro-chisel-like tools using diamond grinding wheel. Only for a very delicate job though. Perfect for removing hairline shorts on homemade pcb's.
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline Isamun

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 07:28:55 am »
If you are considering high-end German screwdrivers, you'd might want to give Bernstein a look. I got a 4 sets of 6 screwdrivers(3 ph, 3 slotted, 6 metric hex, 6 torx, and 6 nut) in a custom rack I made myself. These are the ESD variety with dissipative handles. The quality is similar to Wiha. I expected them to be more forgiving in terms of abuse, but I guess precision tools like this are supposed to be handled with respect ^^

I tried out some Wiha drivers at work and the grip is surely better on the Bernstein ones i have. But the downside is that the yellow markings tend to wear off.

I don't know about the others brands, but you can get these one by one. Which is great if you damage one or missing that tiny TORX :)

I see they are available from mektronics.

I also got some pliers and a vice from the same manufacturer and the quality is over all very good.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 12:23:45 pm »
I have a bunch of Wiha and Wera drivers in my shop here.  Wiha makes a very nice tool, but I prefer my Wera.  Tips seem to be better, grips are better, and the whole tool just feels better.  Anyhow, that's just my opinion.  It's cheap enough to buy one of each and compare them, I guess.

That said, if someone gave me a set of Wihas, I'd be quite happy!  :)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:33:38 pm by John Coloccia »

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2013, 03:11:07 am »
I recommend the Felo Screwdrivers. The Chromium Vanadium I have are indestructible. 35 Years and Kicking :)

http://www.felo.com/en/catalog/series/s-nm/
http://www.felo.com/en/catalog/series/s240/
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:17:38 am by casinada »

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2013, 03:24:24 am »
I've got a Wiha screwdriver somewhere, was very nice, it has the bits in the end and they never chipped or damaged any screws. I purchased it back in 1998 or so when I kept on borrowing someone elses and of course they told me to get my own.  I remember someone else once saying to me "I need to experience the power of the Wiha on this computer" Usually meaning a stubborn or stripped screw that the Wiha would have no trouble removing.

Mine was solid red all the way down with a black cap covering the bits, I think it was rated to 450 or 1000v but can't remember for sure.

It cost me $13 back then.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:10:25 am by Stonent »
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2013, 04:07:26 pm »
Its not a super expensive one, but I use this set and as you can see from the reviews its well liked. LINK
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2013, 06:37:17 pm »
Interesting, I'll give it a look.  Thanks for the link.  I need a 'lendable' set of precision allen this look perfect.

Its not a super expensive one, but I use this set and as you can see from the reviews its well liked. LINK
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2013, 07:03:26 pm »
I have a similar set, quite nice to use, has a lot of smaller security bits in it.

Offline Marc M.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2013, 01:53:30 am »
For tougher material, also Tungsten Carbide can be used. Endmills are being made out of it. Carbide is extremely hard (i suppose you couldn't put a scratch on it using any tool made of metal) but also brittle.

I have ground broken carbide endmills into micro-chisel-like tools using diamond grinding wheel. Only for a very delicate job though. Perfect for removing hairline shorts on homemade pcb's.
Carbide is way too brittle to use as a screwdriver or a punch.  It would shatter as soon as you applied any torque  or impact to it.  Also keep in mind that carbide dust is very nasty stuff.  When grinding carbide a mask and eye protection should be used in addition to a dust collector.

As far as taps, I've used them to make screw extractors and special shaped punches now and then.  I work in a machine shop repairing CNC machine centers so I have access to as many used taps as I want.  All top quality stuff like OSG, Emuge, Cleveland, etc.  I never thought about using them to make screwdrivers.  Thanks Robrenz, what a great idea!  I'll have to give that a try.
Don't replace the cap, just empty the filter!

Offline larry42

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2013, 06:13:46 pm »
If you have an animated GIF in your avatar or signature then I reserve the right to think you're a dolt.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor

Offline g3org3

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2013, 07:37:56 pm »
I am using the Proxxon set for some years now and very happy with it, good price also:

http://www.proxxontools.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=69

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf