Author Topic: Best precision screwdriver set?  (Read 95442 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:48:24 pm by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: jakemy

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Best precision screwdriver set?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 12:48:17 pm »
Space permitting, i would take the Tray set. Quick and easy to locate the correct tool. ;D
Testing one two three...

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 12:49:28 pm »
Space permitting, i would take the Tray set. Quick and easy to locate the correct tool. ;D

Yeah. The stand looks impressive, but would probably be annoying to find anything.
I could mount the tray under the bench on a slide out shelf or something!

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 12:54:56 pm »

Yeah. The stand looks impressive, but would probably be annoying to find anything.
I could mount the tray under the bench on a slide out shelf or something!

Of coarse it would be a push button, servo controlled slide out shelf ;D...... Yet another use for an Arduino?
Testing one two three...

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 12:55:01 pm »
You simply cannot go wrong with Wiha, some of the best drivers made today.

Damn you, now I have to get a set!  Think I'll go for the first one, with the metal tray.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 12:57:28 pm »
Damn you, now I have to get a set!  Think I'll go for the first one, with the metal tray.

It is rather lust worthy isn't it!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 01:08:32 pm »
Any Whia suppliers in Oz?

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 02:03:41 pm »
Previous discussion here .  Wera is also very good but they dont have the complete set available as a single item with tray like Wiha.  I have both and they are both very good tools.  IMO the small precision handles are not the best once the driver or nut driver sizes get very big.  It is hard to get sufficient torque on those tiny handles on larger fasteners. I have a mix of Whia system 4 and nut drivers and Wera larger screwdrivers.

Edit: fixed link
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:28:01 pm by robrenz »

Offline quarks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 03:33:10 pm »
Hello Dave,
have also a look at PBSwiss Tools.
I have a few of these and they are the best build quality of all my precision screwdrivers (see picture, they even have individual Serial #).
bye
quarks
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 05:24:04 pm by quarks »

Offline uoficowboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 03:45:18 pm »
You simply cannot go wrong with Wiha, some of the best drivers made today.

Agreed - Wiha tools are awesome. Good ol Germans know how to make a screwdriver :)

Offline jamesp15

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 03:57:55 pm »
I have the "ESD Safe" version of the 92190 and I absolutely love them, use them daily and have yet to damage or even show signs of wear on a single tip.  They are obviously not for high-torque use, but the grips/tips on them are good for almost any disassembly/assembly that screws of that size are likely to be used in.

Amazon sells them for around the same price as that ebay seller.  (I assume they ship to Australia)
Standard   (they went up in cost, they used to be USD 160-175)
ESD   (also went up, way up, used to be ~USD 200)
If you need SAE size nut drivers (probably not) dont forget: (Standard or ESD)
The ESD "safe" versions seem to have gone WAY up in cost, probably not worth the cost differences now.

Wiha has a list of distributers by region here.

Offline Balaur

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 04:14:38 pm »
That made me salivate!

Just yesterday I've need a Hex 1.3 (or more precisely a 0.05 inches) for my recently acquired Lambda PSU. Never need it before, and I guess I'll never need it again, but it's rather showstopping if you don't have the bit. I had to file a hex key.

I have Wera, Wiha, Facom, and Proxxon screwdriver sets.
Facom are OK. I largely prefer their mechanical tools to their screwdrivers.
Proxxons, to be frank, are rather underwhelming. I like their powered minitools, but I cannot say the same for the screwdrivers.
I have a Wiha SlimVario. Nice, but a bit annoyed that they are not compatible with standard bit holders.
My preferred set is a Wera set. Super nice finishing and durable.

BTW, is rather amazing to see how easy is to strip small screws with the incorrect bit. Screws these days seems to fit bad and be made of putty.

Cheers,
Dan

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 05:06:11 pm »
Of the items listed, the tray would probably be the best bet IMHO, as it seems easier to find what you need.  :) No retaining collar as is on the interchangeable set you linked either (might have problems gaining access to recessed screws).

Never needed one of those tiny nut drivers much, so I went a different route, using their Drive-Loc systems 4 & 6 (adjustable length shaft, holds in place instead of sliding back into the handles, and a wide variety of bit profiles). Larger nuts, I just use sockets on a 1/4" spinner bit that shoves into the System 6 handle.

Might be worth a look.  ;)

Drive Loc System 4 set: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wiha-12-Pc-ESD-Drive-Loc-Precision-Slotted-Phillips-Torx-Screwdriver-Set-26985-/310596735765?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4851021315
Drive Loc System 6 sets: https://www.kctoolco.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=drive-loc+vi+set
Drive Loc System 6 blades (profiles not included in sets, such as Tri-Wing security bits): https://www.kctoolco.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=drive-loc+vi+blades

Offline pmcouto

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 10:18:03 pm »
I am a big fan of Felo screwdrivers: http://www.felo.com/en/

Excellent quality tools for a very reasonable price!  :-+

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 10:32:43 pm »
Very nice, but if you do not already have them, invest in some JIS tips as well.

Offline strobot

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 04:57:22 pm »
Wera Kraftform Micro series are very nice too.  Keep them in something similar to a jeweler's rotating tool stand.
http://www-us.wera.de/catalog_us.html?L=1&file=/en-US/root_category_screwdrivers_series_kraftform_micro.html

Offline ftransform

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 05:38:47 pm »
drill + your own screws  :--

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 05:43:19 pm »
Is there a decent (at least not crappy) set of full screwdrivers (not just bits) for under USD 50?

Offline jvdb

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 08:19:47 pm »
Is there a decent (at least not crappy) set of full screwdrivers (not just bits) for under USD 50?

Probably not in the set sizes that were quoted previously, but you could get smaller sets.. buy them as you need them.

Wiha 26199 Slotted and Phillips Set - $37.48
Wiha 26799 8-Piece Torx - $43.93
or
Wera Kraftform Micro-Set, 12 Pc - $38.44

I'd love nice screwdrivers, but I always seem to have better stuff to spend my money on.
The last few years I have been buying these because they last a lot longer than most of the disposable screwdrivers out there, and I can easily get replacements:

Husky 8-IN-1 Phillips and Slotted Screwdriver Set
Husky 8-IN-1 Torx Screwdriver Set

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 08:58:18 pm »
The Wiha drivers are really very good.
I'm wondering why all the Wiha Picofinish sets that are shown in the links above still have the old style handle, though. Wiha have changed to a much better design quite a few years ago.

They should look like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41BX1x91t2L.jpg

Maybe these ebay sellers sell old stock, maybe they're far eastern copies? I don't know, but it's something I'd check out if I were to spend 200+ bucks on screw drivers.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 01:34:55 pm »
I was repairing a miniature data logger with precision screws and found I twisted the tip of a #1 slotted Wiha driver nearly identical to this report; I don't have a microscope so I could take a good photo with my camera:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/precision-screwdriver-advice/msg190273/#msg190273

I'm surprised it happened; I bought these for its durability. 

I'm not sure I'd buy these again, particularly at this size, #1 slotted, the real test of precision drivers are in the smallest tips, as it has the least mass; it requires strength, small size and precision.   Its seems Wiha's older formulation was superior.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 01:37:48 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 02:43:08 pm »
I found my macro digital, here's some quick photos of my Wiha #1 slotted driver.  The deformation is quite severe.

In this image, you can see the metal bunching up were the driver ends drives the screw corners.  This suggests either the screw is too hard, or the driver too soft, or I applied too much torque.  But for the screws such drivers were made to drive, 1mm, it should not happen.  Screws are typically carbon steel, and should be softer than the driver.

If bought separately, Wiha charges $10 per driver, S&H included.  Bought as part of a set they are $6-7 each.  I have a set of Taiwanese drivers that I used for the same work, and they are intact, they claim its chrome-vanadium steel, it was $5 for a set of 8 long shafts.

In this photo, you can see one edge bent completely off the frame, with a minature fracture down the center of the driver  :wtf:

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 02:57:25 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline quarks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 07:23:18 pm »
I was repairing a miniature data logger with precision screws and found I twisted the tip of a #1 slotted Wiha driver nearly identical to this report; I don't have a microscope so I could take a good photo with my camera:

I'm not sure I'd buy these again, particularly at this size, #1 slotted, the real test of precision drivers are in the smallest tips, as it has the least mass; it requires strength, small size and precision.   Its seems Wiha's older formulation was superior.

The picture is from me and I  must say my older Wiha drivers are superior.

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 11:16:10 pm »
Wiha is good but not the best. I doubt you'd have any problems with them, but Wera probably makes better drivers. Look for Wera Kraftform Micro. They make ESD safe versions also, though I'm not entirely sure the difference or if it makes them any better.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 02:42:29 am »
As with many purchases these days, you pays your money and you takes your chances. Many of the formerly great tool companies that used to make some of the finest tools available have fallen down the colloquial hole of counting beans rather than insuring quality. Among these formerly towering greats are names such as Starrett, Craftsman, Cleveland, etc. I'm certain there are Euro-centric companies that have also suffered this fate. Apparently Wiha also is falling in. I have many older Wiha drivers that I would rate superb, with no rounding or deformation after years of use. I also have many tools made by some of the aforementioned companies, and the issue is the same.  The older tools are superb, the newer ones have corners cut. Both in terms of finish and also metallurgy and heat treatment. It seems to have happened right about the same time the production on many of them moved to Asia.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf