Author Topic: Best soldering station in 2016 for max 250 EUR  (Read 12057 times)

Offline HixfieldTopic starter

• Contributor
Best soldering station in 2016 for max 250 EUR
« on: March 03, 2016, 08:31:21 pm »
I have been reading a lot of reviews of different brands Hakko, ersa, jbc... but in 2016 what would be the best soldering station to buy for max 250 EUR?

To me the Ersa rds80 look nice...?

Something available in Belgium but in this internet age thats not a big deal anymore I guess

I am currently using a fix iron 25w weller (no station), used it for 20 years, started using it  when I did my engineering electronics master degree (went into software but now picking up my electronics passion again :-)

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
Re: Best soldering station in 2016 for max 250 EUR
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 09:56:48 pm »
A used Metcal MX 500P.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:00:31 pm by Towger »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 10:03:07 pm »
I vote for the Ersa! The tips are indestructable unlike any other iron I have ever used (including Weller and JBC!). The RDS80 is a nice station. I'm still using my old analog MS8000 but I use the RDS80 to bring along to customers.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 11:01:35 pm »
That would depend on where you're located, as not every brand is equally available in all markets.

But given you're in the EU, I'd say the Ersa i-Con Nano (much better performer than the RDS80 as it uses newer tech). Tips are high quality and inexpensive as well.

A bit over your stated budget, but worth a serious look, would be the JBC BT-2BWA (Weidinger Edition) that's currently available for 259.95EUR before VAT. This is the least expensive JBC station available, and is specific to Weidinger. Any other JBC will be notably more expensive, save perhaps the used market. Please note the tips are cartridge types, so they're more expensive than those used in the Ersa.

Both brands offer a wide selection on tip shapes & sizes, so you're good there. Distribution for both brands in the EU is decent as well, so you're not limited to a single source for consumables & spares.  :-+

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 12:20:21 am »
Any other JBC will be notably more expensive, save perhaps the used market. Please note the tips are cartridge types, so they're more expensive than those used in the Ersa.

This is often over looked/not thought about at the time of purchase. For some of my hand pieces I've spent more on a few tips than the hand piece itself and that needs to be factored into the total cost. Does your budget also include the cost of tips or any additional hand pieces you require? The base station is only a part of the total cost but it locks you into a range of hand pieces.

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 12:29:11 am »

Offline ShreveCC

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 01:23:55 am »
I use an Aoyue Int 866 complete repair system.  It works great for the $199 U.S. Dollars I paid.  I bought it on Amazon, and it is an awesome setup for price and capability on most projects.  I have logged many hours of use for a year without issues.

http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-Digital-Rework-Station-Pre-heater/dp/B00GSCTSMA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457054541&sr=8-1&keywords=aoyue+int+866

The only pain... I just remembered was assembly... no reasonably instructions; however you would figure it out from the photo images on Amazon.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 01:27:16 am by ShreveCC »
Complexity is simple; when you have a complex mind - Just adjust your Sample Rate for others to measure your thoughts clearly.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 02:12:55 am »
Any other JBC will be notably more expensive, save perhaps the used market. Please note the tips are cartridge types, so they're more expensive than those used in the Ersa.
This is often over looked/not thought about at the time of purchase. For some of my hand pieces I've spent more on a few tips than the hand piece itself and that needs to be factored into the total cost. Does your budget also include the cost of tips or any additional hand pieces you require? The base station is only a part of the total cost but it locks you into a range of hand pieces.
Tip cost and availability are significant factors in the decision making process in my case (businesses too). FWIW a modest collection of tips can quickly exceed the cost of the handpiece itself, and in the case of cartridge tips, potentially the entire station cost.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 12:21:30 pm »
Tip cost and availability are significant factors in the decision making process in my case (businesses too). FWIW a modest collection of tips can quickly exceed the cost of the handpiece itself, and in the case of cartridge tips, potentially the entire station cost.
I keep on going on about Ersa: Ersa is also a very good choice when it comes to the tips. Tips are in the 8 euro range (IIRC) but you never need to buy new ones because they last very long.

I used to own an Aoyue SMD tweezers station but I threw it away because the tips where so utter crap.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:27:37 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 05:03:31 pm »
I looked at all proposed stations. Thanks for the answers! I am going for an Ersa icon nano because of the good balance between price, good feedback and cheaper tips.

Makes sense?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 07:48:40 pm »
I looked at all proposed stations. Thanks for the answers! I am going for an Ersa icon nano because of the good balance between price, good feedback and cheaper tips.

Makes sense?
Absolutely.  ;D

I made a similar decision at the time I bought my Weller WD series' soldering gear. Not the best, but quite good (FX-951 wasn't out yet, and JBC was more than I was willing to spend, including tips).

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 08:54:19 pm »
Just noticed that the "ERSA i-CON1 ESD Profi-Lötstation, mit i-TOOL 150W, Auto-Standby"  at 245 eur (excl vat) also fits my budget. Would it be wort going for this one and not the ersa icon nano?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 12:27:19 am »
The more expensive Ersa hand pieces have a more flexible cord than the cheaper ones so it may make sense to get the more expensive one. Also more power is always good. I prefer an 80W soldering iron.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 01:14:31 am »
Just noticed that the "ERSA i-CON1 ESD Profi-Lötstation, mit i-TOOL 150W, Auto-Standby"  at 245 eur (excl vat) also fits my budget. Would it be wort going for this one and not the ersa icon nano?
This one will allow you to use additional tools, such as the hot tweezers, should you decide you want them in the future (very useful for desoldering SMD passives during diagnostics, as it's far easier and faster than a regular iron). The iron that comes with it can go up to 150W under certain conditions, though IIRC, this requires a 2 channel base unit in order to do so as it's approximately double the output power (usually how this type of scenario works IME at any rate, as each channel is only typically capable of ~75 - 80W; download the Operation Manuals for both the i-Con 1 and i-Con 2 and see for certain  ;)).

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 01:38:36 am »
A used Metcal MX 500P.
I second the used Metcal. You can buy everything used and then just buy the hand piece(s) brand new. Top quality soldering system, and due to its industry popularity you can pick up tips fairly cheaply. Which makes it an economical solution long term.

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 05:51:05 am »
Just ordered the ersa icon1 (amazon.de) , feeling exited   :D
Thanks everyone for the feedback and help!

Offline Alfons

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 04:25:03 pm »
This one will allow you to use additional tools, such as the hot tweezers, should you decide you want them in the future (very useful for desoldering SMD passives during diagnostics, as it's far easier and faster than a regular iron). The iron that comes with it can go up to 150W under certain conditions, though IIRC, this requires a 2 channel base unit in order to do so as it's approximately double the output power (usually how this type of scenario works IME at any rate, as each channel is only typically capable of ~75 - 80W; download the Operation Manuals for both the i-Con 1 and i-Con 2 and see for certain  ;)).

Unfortunately, that is not correct. I have written about it in multiple threads: The I-Con 1 works exclusively with the I-Tool, other Tools can not be connected. This is only possible with the I-Con2 or the old I-Con (without 1). And now with the new I-Con 1V. Even if I have Ersa devices in use, I have to say, that the model policy of Ersa is a disaster.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 10:22:01 am by Alfons »

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 04:59:25 pm »
Thats fine, I dont need these fancy pancy functions :-)

Offline donkey77

• Regular Contributor

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 02:39:25 am »
I recieved my ersa icon 1 today, first impressions:
-nice stable and heavy base unit
-very nice pen grip style soldering iron
-lcd is very readable
-very clear menus to set different options
-nice front power butto n
-I like the rotary encoder as input system
-warms really quickly
-standby mode works nicely
-very very flexible cable to soldering iron, like this alot
-the stand to put the iron in is a sort of rubery touch plastic, much nicer then I thought
-comes with one tip that is usefull

Overall very happy with it!

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 12:29:55 am »
Good on ya.  Nice to see someone who didn't buy a Chinese knockoff of a Chinese knockoff of a famous entry level soldering iron, complain it's crap and wants to know how to modify it to work like the original.  Instead you got yourself something that will make you productive for many years.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 07:24:07 am »
I find the standard delivered tip a bit big for the average pcb. Whats your idea? Do you recommend a specific one?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 09:54:04 am »
I find the standard delivered tip a bit big for the average pcb. Whats your idea? Do you recommend a specific one?
You size the tip to the pad/hole, as there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all size & shape tip (take a look here).

For example, I usually find a 2.4mm chisel works well for a typical plated thru-hole, while a 1.6mm would typically be suited for 0805 SMD pads. There's also bevel/hoof tips that do well with general purpose soldering, but can also be used for drag soldering SMD IC's. Lots of other shapes, though they do vary from manufacturer to manufacturer per each iron. In the case of Ersa's 102 series, there's quite a few different shapes to choose from. Though you can get a lot done with just a handful of tips, say 5 (i.e. 3 chisels, 1 conical or bent conical for tacking IC corners & passives, and a hoof/bevel or specific tip made for drag soldering).

Hakko's Tip Selection Page might be of some help, as would documents on proper soldering from soldering station manufacturers and other sources. Videos as well, and the following list should be plenty to get you started.  >:DHope this helps.  :)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 02:02:14 am »
The included tip is a 1.6mm chisel, already on the small side. Going smaller than that, the thermal mass of the tip decreases to where they become harder to work with.

What exactly are you working on??

Offline ar__systems

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 02:07:01 am »
A used Metcal MX 500P.
I second the used Metcal. You can buy everything used and then just buy the hand piece(s) brand new. Top quality soldering system, and due to its industry popularity you can pick up tips fairly cheaply. Which makes it an economical solution long term.
Metcal is the best.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 07:10:59 am »
Quote from: ar__systems
Metcal is the best.

I think it is lost cause. It like buying a second hand Rolls Royce then you can buy a shiny new Kia for the same price.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 12:03:37 pm »
The OP bought an Ersa from their professional line, not a fucking Yihua. Ersa is hardly the Kia of soldering stations!  |O

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2016, 02:30:26 pm »
A used Metcal MX 500P.
Metcal is the best.
Once upon a time, sure.  :)

Now however, other brands have caught up. And some have even surpassed Metcal's performance, such as JBC.

The OP bought an Ersa from their professional line, not a fucking Yihua. Ersa is hardly the Kia of soldering stations!  |O
Exactly.

Of the professional brands, I'd place Hakko as the Kia equivalent to use a car analogy. And at least in the US, pricing would be equivalent to a Kia as well IMHO.  :box:

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2016, 07:59:50 pm »

+1

Ersa make really good dependable gear.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf