Author Topic: Breadboard Power Supplys *Warning?*  (Read 2752 times)

Offline mictasTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Well I am stupid.
Breadboard Power Supplys *Warning?*
« on: May 18, 2015, 03:55:54 am »
So today, I revived two new breadboard power supply's, and yes I know. I got them off eBay, still please. Please also see attached photo, sorry its not the sunniest place in my flat.

Now the unit on the left, is one that I have had for a long time and use with my breadboard Arduino, its good, I have a few for other projects. But I found it a little bulky, the unit its self takes up a far amount of a breadboard, but nun the less, I being myself still have not managed to let out the magic smoke, on one of these units.
I also like the power switch and diode it hosts.

The until on the right, however. This one sits on the bottom of a breadboard, only the right side can provide other or 3.3v/5v while the left side is a fixed 5v output. This one lacks a power switch and a diode, however seems to host a reset-able fuse.
Despite it being low profile, I managed to let out the magic smoke, while probing it with a multimeter.

---

Over all, I must admit I am going to stick with the unit on the left, after all as I have said, I still haven't managed to kill one, unlike the one on the right (red) which didn't seem to like getting probed.

Offline The Doktor

• Regular Contributor
Re: Breadboard Power Supplys *Warning?*
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 01:28:03 am »
I've got several of the unit on the left, never had a problem, even when there was some abuse. Was powering a ESP8266 with 1 of these supplies (running off 12V wall wart) and managed to damage the 8266 (due to external problem, not power). Didn't realize what had happened, just couldn't connect to 8266 or BT module on same board. Noticed little power supply module was rather warm. Testing showed 8266 was holding 3.3V rail below 2V, obviously overloading this cheap PS module. Replaced 8266 and all was good, module survived :)

Offline mictasTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Well I am stupid.
Re: Breadboard Power Supplys *Warning?*
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 01:34:40 am »
I've got several of the unit on the left, never had a problem, even when there was some abuse. Was powering a ESP8266 with 1 of these supplies (running off 12V wall wart) and managed to damage the 8266 (due to external problem, not power). Didn't realize what had happened, just couldn't connect to 8266 or BT module on same board. Noticed little power supply module was rather warm. Testing showed 8266 was holding 3.3V rail below 2V, obviously overloading this cheap PS module. Replaced 8266 and all was good, module survived :)

Maybe, once I have a better understanding, I can create one with 3.3v, 5v, 6v, 9v and 12v output.

It still dose shock me, how rugged those power supply's are on the left, despite being made in cheap china ( and I mean the cheap factory's and not the upmarket ones)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf