Author Topic: Brymen BM857  (Read 13450 times)

Offline PogoTopic starter

Brymen BM857
« on: March 24, 2012, 10:18:52 pm »
Would like to hear readers' opinion of this multimeter.  I've reaqd what I could find on the web but the information is scarce.  I understand that Greenlee meters are rebranded Brymen but I don't know what Greenlee model is the match of the BM857.

It would be great if Dave would give a full review.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: Brymen BM857
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 04:02:34 am »
Martin did a 43 minute video review of the Brymen TBM867 (not the BM857).  The two might be close enough to make inferences?

Offline PogoTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 05:40:08 pm »
Thanks.  I did see this excellent review but hoped that others might be able to speak of the differences.

Offline remy_m

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 11:57:11 am »
I got the BM857a a few days ago.

If the time allows i will make a quick review(standalone review - as i do not own any ultra hi tech multimeters to compare it with) of the BM857a and post it here.

So far is the best quality per buck i have spent on a multimeter i can say.

The specs are almost identical to the BM867 few exceptions (not dual display, not such a great backlight etc)

dziegiel

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 11:06:57 am »
Hallo guys,

I've bought BM857a about 3 weeks ago. It's quite a old-fasion multimeter. In Poland it costs ~500 PLN (150 USD), but producer doesn't include any temperature sensors (I've got it in 9,99 USD multimeter :/) nor RS232 cable. Stand is made of thin and soft plastic - I'm worried not to broke it. LCD backlight is terrible, diodes placed behind the screen light into users eyes, the backlighted screen is fuzzy. I don't like also measurement cables, only very short part of pins is uncovered by silicon, so it's easy to do inaccurate measure.

On the other hand multimeter works fine. I find relative measurements very useful, particularly for small resistances and capacitances measurements. I can check duty cycle and frequency without switching on my oscilloscope. Display is clear in sunny days and enough big. I compared VAC/VDC results with my Tekway DS1062b, BM857a works good for AC and RMS up to 20 kHz in all shapes and up to 40 kHz for sinusoidal shape.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 02:23:33 pm »
Regarding the very short exposed pins, that's to comply with the CATIV rating ... Even wavetek did it (bought by evil danaher then transformed into meterman and then transformed into amprobe)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 02:31:18 pm »
I just bought some probes, and the sleeve on the tip is removable, and it even has 2 sets of sleeves, just the tip, and the tip and a touch of shaft, or the whole shaft visible.

Online Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 04:42:25 am »
"WB" is without battery.

Online Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 10:56:27 am »
Thank you. LOL, it is funny that tme.eu calls it "new".

Online Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 10:58:23 am »
BM829S is sold out. http://www.tme.eu/gb/details/bm829/portable-digital-multimeters/brymen/bm829s/
Because everyone wants it. Why not. I wonder how fast it will come from Taiwan.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 05:37:06 pm »
I own an older BM857a (current production is the BM857S).

In short, it's a damn fine meter. That said, it does have a few niggles.
1. As mentioned, the backlight isn't that wonderful; but it is usable/passable (i.e. you can read the digits, but you see the 4 LEDs behind the digits). Please note mine was made back in 2000.
2. If you have thick fingers, you'll find the selector switch a bit on the small side.
3. Continuity is non-latching, and will sound very scratchy on cheap leads. So make sure you're using a quality lead set.

Positives:
1. Rubber boot is nice and thick, and works well IME (mine's taken quite a few drops, yet there's zero damage).
2. Selector switch has a nice solid feel to it.
3. Very good specs overall.
4. Has decent safety protections.
5. Good value for the money.

The stand is actually OK IMHO; it's wide enough it doesn't fall over with the slightest disturbance.  It is a bit on the thin side, but if you don't treat you gear like a gorilla, it will be fine.  :P

*** Current production of the BM857S has actually fixed the backlight issue (very nice in fact). And it has even better protections to meet current regulations regarding CAT ratings (changed since mine was manufactured). ***

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf