Author Topic: Buying a CNC that is good enough to do SMDs...  (Read 1958 times)

Offline moenadTopic starter

Buying a CNC that is good enough to do SMDs...
« on: March 11, 2015, 05:25:47 pm »
I'm traveling to China soon, and I'm willing to pick up a "quality" CNC for regular use. But I'm mostly interested with SMDs, I read that I need at least 24k+ RPM to be able to achieve good ones.

Can you recommend any CNC? also can someone help with the required details for a good one? Any link to aliexpress/alibaba/taobao will do.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Buying a CNC that is good enough to do SMDs...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 12:12:56 am »
I need at least 24k+ RPM

Don't know about need but faster is better (unless you like boards taking forever to mill). There is a limit to how fast you can go which is determined by the cutting tool material and the stuff you're cutting through, which is measured in Surface Feet per Minute (SFM):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_feet_per_minute

Essentially, it's a measure of the maximum speed at which the edge of the cutting tool can slide along the material you're cutting. Since the speed depends entirely on the diameter of the tool, the smaller the tool the faster you can spin it (and the faster you can push it through the material). When we are talking diameters of maybe 10mil, the limiting factor is not SFM as would be normal on larger tool, but how fast you can physically spin it. Thus a 24+krpm spindle is not necessary but possible to use and desirable.

However, the faster you spin it the more trouble you're likely to have with lubrication and runout. Swings and roundabouts.

As for your requirement to do SMD, you need a) a very fine cutting tip, and b) practically no runout. Suppose you have only 0.1mm runout at the cutters tip: that is half your pad to pad clearance for 0.5mm pitch pads. To stand a chance, you'll need a 0.1mm cutting tip (aka 4 mil) which is going to be a) expensive, and b) prone to breaking.

So, if you get a choice, go for bearing quality over speed. A really good one is unlikely to be cheap.

Offline TSL

• Regular Contributor
Re: Buying a CNC that is good enough to do SMDs...
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 01:32:14 am »
I have one of these....

http://www.carving-cnc.com/cnc-x4800-series/cnc-x4800lpt-router-engraver-drilling-and-milling-machine.html

And bought some 0.8mm end mills to produce cuts, see pic of cut board attached.

Search this forum for more info - all this has been discussed here before.

regards

Tim

VK2XAX :: QF56if :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSATVK

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf