Author Topic: CAT IV rated flashlights from Fluke?!?  (Read 1725 times)

Offline rsjsouzaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
CAT IV rated flashlights from Fluke?!?
« on: October 10, 2018, 02:19:41 pm »
Well, not CAT IV but that is something I haven't seen from Fluke. I guess they are diversifying...

www.fluke.com/en-us/product/intrinsically-safe/fl-150-ex
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: CAT IV rated flashlights from Fluke?!?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 03:16:48 pm »
They say it's rugged but it manages to look incredibly cheap (shiny plastic) at the same time. I guess that's the penalty for having to make it out of plastic for the Cat rating.

As far as I can see, the only noticable feature is the little screw, engaging with the slots in the clear bit, that stops you being able to unscrewing the top.

I guess if it's intrinsically safe it probably has a decent O ring and maybe a magnet and reed switch for the actuator (or a possibly a simple rubber membrane).

That circular orange bit on the side is probably e a safety vent of some type.
Best Regards, Chris

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 03:59:19 pm »
Good observations. I don't have necessarily a particular objection towards the color - after all, it needs to be visible from afar.

In my experience, however, the sliding button with its internal sliding blade contacts are a massive source of problems - I would have rather a clicking quality button (just like the ones featured in Maglites).

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 05:13:53 pm »
Those are intrinsically safe lamps, meant for use in explosive atmospheres. Not CAT something. Different safety standard ... ^-^
They are meant to be used  in same places as Fluke 28 II Ex meter and other tools for dangerous places.

Funny, pretty much all Ex standard Flashlights I've seen look equally cheap. It must be material, it has to be material that will not ignite explosive atmosphere if dropped or if you hit something with it.
Also, switches should have limited arcing...  Nobody is really trying to be creative, just to pass safety standards..

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 06:35:29 pm »
Those are intrinsically safe lamps, meant for use in explosive atmospheres. Not CAT something. Different safety standard ... ^-^
Yeah, I know. I was just being silly...  ;D

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 08:26:29 pm »
Yeah, I know. I was just being silly...  ;D

I know YOU know  ^-^

Take care!

Siniša

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 10:01:30 pm »
Yes, I know too, though the thread title did throw me briefly, looking at the picture not the spec.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:05:22 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 10:08:02 pm »
Yes, I know too, though the thread title did throw me briefly, looking at the picture not the spec.  ::)
:-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf