Author Topic: cheap microscope for soldering & inspection  (Read 10717 times)

Offline FenichelTopic starter

• Contributor
cheap microscope for soldering & inspection
« on: March 13, 2017, 06:58:40 pm »
  For C$73 (about US$54) BangGood (http://www.banggood.com/search/1119592.html) is now selling a microscope that can be adapted for inspection and soldering.  It shows its image on a 6x9 cm 720x1080 color LCD, and it will even capture pictures or short videos to a µSD card.

As BangGood supplies it, its mount allows only two or three centimeters of working distance (too little), and magnifications of no less than a few hundred times (too much).  It can be focused, however, to much greater distances (at least a meter), and it's easy to construct a fixture that provides useful magnification at useful working distances.  For example, it took the attached picture (of an MCP4725 on a millimeter scale) at an objective-to-object distance of about 16 cm.  The image looks sharper on the screen than in this JPEG.

The other attached picture shows the fixture that I built for it, using an existing mounting hole in my Panavise base as its root.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
Re: cheap microscope for soldering & inspection
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 10:14:15 pm »
What kind of software do people use with these cameras?, I bought an andonstar, http://www.ebay.com/itm/371767002110 which seems to work fine, but no software.
Windows find it, and I can use it as an webcamera (skype etc), but I would guess there exists software that enables you to use these cameras in a better way for microscope use?

(sorry to hijack you thread.. )

Offline FenichelTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 11:03:09 pm »
@neslekkim
  I don't consider it hijacking at all; you raise an appropriate question.

The Andonstar that you got seems to be intended for different uses from the device I got from BangGood. 

My device is indeed recognized by Windows (as a "TIGA device"), and Windows finds a driver for it, but it is then barely functional as a Webcam, with a frame rate (at its 720x1080 setting, at least) of about 0.15 fps.  Moreover, when it's connected to Windows, its screen shows only an unchanging USB logo, so images can be composed & focused only via the Windows screen.  That feedback loop is slow to converge, to say the least.  It reminds me of working in an old batch-process programming shop, or in an old wet-process darkroom.  (Yes, I'm old.)

I will connect my device to Windows to recharge its battery from time to time, but probably I'll never try to use the connection for data transfer.  I got the device because of its screen, so that I could use it as a freestanding scope.  If I had a useful driver for it, I might use it differently.

Offline Mark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 11:38:51 am »
What kind of software do people use with these cameras?, I bought an andonstar, http://www.ebay.com/itm/371767002110 which seems to work fine, but no software.
Windows find it, and I can use it as an webcamera (skype etc), but I would guess there exists software that enables you to use these cameras in a better way for microscope use?

(sorry to hijack you thread.. )

This is andonstar software:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/em2txn7gxb4go68/microscope.rar?dl=0

The following users thanked this post: neslekkim

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 08:10:51 am »
This is andonstar software:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/em2txn7gxb4go68/microscope.rar?dl=0

Awesome!!, thanks!

I own one of these andonstar USB microscopes myself, and I get the best image quality using the built-in "Camera" app/sofware in Windows 10. You can also use VLC (File -> Open Capture Device), but the image quality is horrible for me.

Anyone have good recommendations for cheap optical microscopes? I personally find it way too difficult to do work with a USB/digital microscope, anyone have any experience with the cheaper stuff? Like:

www.ebay.com/itm/252825012307 or www.ebay.com/itm/252825009640

The following users thanked this post: neslekkim

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 08:54:45 am »
I tried and bought many options of  digital microscope

The best deal is not to buy a digital microscope and buy regular  scope

Mine is this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056X4RRS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you insist on the digital one, and don't have up 5K available, a reasonable one is this one and will be in promotion in 2 days

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/new-2016-Andonstar-HDMI-microscope-long-object-distance-USB-microscope-double-output-soldering-tool-bga-smt/32614052280.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.IWP23x

One that I dream is the Tagarno

https://www.tagarno.com/digital-microscope-tagarno/tagarno-fhd-zap

But don't have pocket for that

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:56:46 am by ebclr »

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 09:06:15 am »
I own one of these andonstar USB microscopes myself, and I get the best image quality using the built-in "Camera" app/sofware in Windows 10. You can also use VLC (File -> Open Capture Device), but the image quality is horrible for me.

One more reason to upgrade Windows I see..

Offline Gary350z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 12:25:01 pm »

I recently bought the "Opti-TekScope OT-HD" which appears to be the same as the Andonstar.
http://opti-tekscope.com/ot-hd-usb-microscope/

The best software I have found is "AMCap.exe", which is recommened by Opti-TekScope.
You can set the resolution, exposure, etc., and has fast refresh rate.
http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=video#AMCap

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 12:42:29 pm »
My advice is to go for an optical STEREO microscope. The difference is huge, and you can find a used stereo inspection microscope for about the same price. The 3D view and the image clarity of a stereo optical microscope are huge advantages.

Once you looked through a stereo microscope, you will never want to go back to a WebCam with display.

Later edit:
If you want to take pictures or movies, then a trinocular optical microscope would be even better, but you can still do it with a binocular one.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 12:46:34 pm by RoGeorge »

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 01:12:17 pm »
My advice is to go for an optical STEREO microscope. The difference is huge, and you can find a used stereo inspection microscope for about the same price. The 3D view and the image clarity of a stereo optical microscope are huge advantages.

Example of any usefull ones?

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 01:20:02 pm »
The AMcap software works, but it leaves a watermark. Samples below.

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 02:04:00 pm »

Example of any usefull ones?

I bought mine for about 70-80 USD after about 3 weeks of searching here and there. I don't have a tip right now, but ebay and Craig's list might be a good start. Not saying this is the best, but it took 1 minute of search:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dissecting-dissection-inspection-binocular-microscope-lab-metal-frame-20X-new-/382010707394
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dissecting-dissection-inspection-binocular-microscope-/380333251526
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boreal-Trinocular-Inspection-Microscope-Head-Binocular-/302164856073
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 02:06:25 pm by RoGeorge »

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 02:47:55 pm »
Has anyone found polarizer add-on filter for the Andonstar microscope and the likes?
The lens / ring light assembly is so small that it's quite difficult to find anything that could fit.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 03:15:35 pm »

Once you looked through a stereo microscope, you will never want to go back to a WebCam with display.

Later edit:
If you want to take pictures or movies, then a trinocular optical microscope would be even better, but you can still do it with a binocular one.

Be  aware that 10%-15% of people cannot see in stereo. Such people perceive depth using the many other clues in the normal environment (e.g. smaller => more distant, bluer => more distant).

A quick test is to ask someone whether they were hopeless at ball games at school. If, for example, they swung at tennis balls and often completely missed them, then it is likely they can't perceive stereo pictures.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 03:17:35 pm »

Later edit:
Be  aware that 10%-15% of people cannot see in stereo. Such people perceive depth using the many other clues in the normal environment (e.g. smaller => more distant, bluer => more distant).

A quick test is to ask someone whether they were hopeless at ball games at school. If, for example, they swung at tennis balls and often completely missed them, then it is likely they can't perceive stereo pictures.

For that reason, and others, this whole topic is subject to individual preferences.  Thus "try before you buy" is highly recommended.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 03:45:13 pm »

Later edit:

YMMV. I have severe amblyopia, ('lazy eye') so I can't see in stereo, and I have always been hopeless at ball games - BUT I found to my surprise I can get some sort of depth/stereo effect when using a stereo microscope, after a bit of acclimatisation. This is very wierd, as it's not something I normally experience. I also find that my astigmatism does not need correction when using the microscope - this also holds for binoculars. Probably something to do with which part of the eye lens gets used, so different eyepieces may make a difference. I use an Olympus SZ40.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 04:16:22 pm »

Later edit:

YMMV. I have severe amblyopia, ('lazy eye') so I can't see in stereo, and I have always been hopeless at ball games - BUT I found to my surprise I can get some sort of depth/stereo effect when using a stereo microscope, after a bit of acclimatisation. This is very wierd, as it's not something I normally experience. I also find that my astigmatism does not need correction when using the microscope - this also holds for binoculars. Probably something to do with which part of the eye lens gets used, so different eyepieces may make a difference. I use an Olympus SZ40.

That kind of experience is why I added the statement, which you snipped "For that reason, and others, this whole topic is subject to individual preferences.  Thus "try before you buy" is highly recommended."

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 08:46:03 pm »
didn't want to start a new post, but those with the Olympus SZ40, how is the optics quality. I ask because I see one listed for $200 and sounds interesting...

Offline amanda1

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 02:13:30 pm »
Good and budget option: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/new-2016-Andonstar-HDMI-microscope-long-object-distance-free-shipping/32614052280, I like it.
I will recommend you Altami Studio program (http://alelso.com/projects/altami-studio/), you can display everything on the big screen and it's very convenient.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:19:24 pm by amanda1 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf