Author Topic: Cheap Soldering Iron and Tip Recommendation  (Read 8874 times)

Offline HobblesTopic starter

Cheap Soldering Iron and Tip Recommendation
« on: June 19, 2015, 02:38:16 pm »
Hello everyone, new to the site but I have a pretty simple question I need help with that I couldn't find by searching. I do some soldering work here and there, don't really need anything crazy, iron wise, so I just usually get a cheapo 3m from Walmart ( hey it works).  The thing that bugs me is they don't have replacement tips for these irons and should have something. I was thinking of buying a better soldering iron, like a Weller, that you can get replacement tips for but the tip replacement alone costs the same price as my cheapo iron. I was curious if anybody knows if there are some cheap tips for these 3m irons or if they could recommend an iron that makes sense to get price wise. Like I said I don't need anything fancy I just don't feel right getting rid of a whole iron just cause I need a new tip lol.

Offline picandmix

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Cheap Soldering Iron and Tip Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 08:54:09 pm »
There are a heck of a lot of Wellers on Walmarts site, are you talking about getting a similar iron or one of the solder stations ?

Also what budget are you thinking of ?

Did notice they had on of these '936' clones which you can get on ebay for half that price and they have a range of lo cost tips.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/30PC30-Soldering-Station-Analog-60W-120V/44953468

Search the whole forum for 'soldering irons'  loads of similar posts and answers.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 02:45:38 am »
There are a heck of a lot of Wellers on Walmarts site, are you talking about getting a similar iron or one of the solder stations ?

Also what budget are you thinking of ?

Did notice they had on of these '936' clones which you can get on ebay for half that price and they have a range of lo cost tips.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/30PC30-Soldering-Station-Analog-60W-120V/44953468

Search the whole forum for 'soldering irons'  loads of similar posts and answers.

For that price, you can get a real Hakko FX-888D.  Since you are talking about Walmart.com, do I assume correctly that you are in the USA?  Setting your country of origin will help greatly as prices/availability vary greatly with geography.  There is information in abundance on this forum about the perils of cheap clones.  Tip prices for the Wellers and Hakkos are as expensive as your 3M cheapo but, with care. last for years.  I have genuine Hakko tips that are about 7 years old.  A soldering iron like the Weller WESD-51 or Hakko FX-888D will last for years with occasional use and give you more flexibility in what you can do.  Ultimately, only you can decide what is best.  Try thinking long term value against short term wants. 
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 03:24:15 am »

This iron is perfectly good. Dave begins by bashing it and comparing it with an iron about 5 to 7 times more expensive (the iron it's supposed to imitate) but in the end, we (him and I) conclude it's 16 bucks, really, and this is great value for 16 bucks, because it does the job and ou can actually control the temperature.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 03:31:53 am by ivan747 »

Offline picandmix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 09:14:54 am »

This iron is perfectly good. Dave begins by bashing it and comparing it with an iron about 5 to 7 times more expensive (the iron it's supposed to imitate) but in the end, we (him and I) conclude it's 16 bucks, really, and this is great value for 16 bucks, because it does the job and ou can actually control the temperature.

+1    ;)

As you say for I do some soldering work here and there the 936 clones ( under various makers names) are  ideal.

Offline HobblesTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 12:01:44 pm »
Man that sounds spot on. The thing that was bugging me was that some replaceable tips are like 5 bucks a piece, this one looks like you can get 10 for $5 from some sellers. I've just used cheap $5 irons from Walmart forever without any problems so I'm sure these irons would be worlds better. Thanks a lot everyone.

Tac Eht Xilef

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 12:50:32 pm »
Man that sounds spot on. The thing that was bugging me was that some replaceable tips are like 5 bucks a piece, this one looks like you can get 10 for $5 from some sellers.

Yeah, no, don't scrimp on tips.

The thing with the cheap Hakko clones is that with the standard "10 for $5" tips they work ~60% as well as a genuine Hakko for ~20% the price. Put a genuine Hakko or good quality 2nd-source (e.g. Plato) tip on them, and that 60% jumps to ~90%, turning an average iron into a pretty damn good iron.

Pay the 5 bucks a piece for good tips. It's well worth it, even if the iron only cost $15-$20.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 12:52:36 pm by Tac Eht Xilef »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 03:43:45 pm »
Yeah, no, don't scrimp on tips.
+1  :-+

Also, good tips will last a good while (years) for a hobbyist with just a little care (keep it tinned).

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 11:42:41 pm »
+2  :-+ :-+.  A tinned tip is a happy tip.  When done, I turn off my 936, wipe the tip off and apply solder while rotating the iron then keep rotating until the solder cools enough to stay put.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Biff383

• Regular Contributor
  • Oh Crap!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 12:48:42 am »
  What would be the point in replacing the tip.....when you can get a new iron for less?

Just get a good iron and be done with it.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 01:16:20 am »
I have 4 stations running the Yihua 936 and the genuine Hakko $5 tips here.

The Hakko 888D are double the price of the US here. Considering it could last a decade of punishment even in a commercial situation if you are in the US consider buying from tequipment.net with eevblog discount and getting the 888D station with tips and possibly shipping thrown in all for $100. Worth it in my opinion.

The genuine tips make all the difference and are only a fraction of the price.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf