Author Topic: Home soldering station with tweezers.  (Read 1592 times)

Offline jchw4Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Home soldering station with tweezers.
« on: December 31, 2022, 04:47:08 pm »
If I need a soldering station for home use with tweezers, what are my options today?

I have a little bit of experience with Metcal MX500 (STTC cartridges) and OKI (now Metcal too) MFR 1100 station (SFP cartridges).
I used MFR tweezers too.

High-frequency stations have a lot of power and I probably never had an issue with [imprecise and limited] temperature.

But for home use I probably want a more flexible solution with adjustable temperature. And buying cartridges for different temperatures quickly add up to the price.

Summing up my experience with this forum I see 4 options:

1) Metcal MX

2) Metcal MFR

3) JBC

4) Pace ADS200

1) Older MX series stations are very cheap on ebay. Also ebay probably has the widest selection of used MX cartridges including the exotic ones. It might not last for long, but right now there are a lot of them.

But used MX tweezers are rare. New tweezers+stand are about $400.

New STTC cartridges are about $30, new tweezers cartridges are about $60-70 (like 2x STTC).

On the negative side the unit is bulky, each cartridge has fixed temperature.

My guess would be the initial cost to be about $200 (station) + $400 (tweezers) + (soldering iron + cartridges ~$300) = $900.

Heating power is 40W (?).

2) Older Metcal MFR series often appear on ebay too, but less common than MX. MFR tweezers seem to come to ebay more often than MX but still rare.

New cartridges and tweezers/handpieces cost the same as MX.

Unit is smaller than the MX series.

Initial cost maybe $800.

Heating power is 60W (?).

3) JBC sounds like the most expensive option, but surprisingly JBC tweezers are pretty common on ebay.

What I don't understand is which 1-tool soldering station supports tweezers. I.e. will CP series station work with some regular soldering iron handpiece? Will CD station work with PA120 tweezers?

Tweezer cartridges are about $50, which is even less than the Metcal ones.

New CP station (set) is about $800. If it supports soldering irons, then maybe additional $200 - $300 for the (used?) iron and cartridges. ~$1100 total.

Heating power is 80W (?)

4) Pace ADS200 is brand new, does not appear on ebay.

$450 for initial 3-tip set + tweezers set for $525 (!). Total is $1000.

Tweezer tips are $65 (more than JBC!)

Heating power 120W (?)

Given that it has no used parts on ebay, exotic tips are very expensive and seems to have a long (half a year) lead time.

This way Pace is an exotic option itself. But new and attractive.

This way I don't see anything significantly cheaper than $1000.

JBC surprisingly sounds like a nice option with respect to a set of used cartridges on ebay.

Am I right with my calculations? Are there other options that I missed? Are there any JBC clones capable of driving tweezers?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 04:48:46 pm by jchw4 »

Offline Alti

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Home soldering station with tweezers.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 05:59:09 pm »
New tweezers+stand are about $400.
You can lift the component by grabbing it with regular metal tweezers with curved tips. Just use wide solder tip, heat tweezers with component and lift.
For bigger components - use two soldering irons.

I did use Weller tweezers once and no - not practical enough to justify purchase.
Maybe if I had single 0402 surrounded by tall electrolytic caps..
Otherwise, regular tweezers are more practical. IMHO.

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 10:33:28 pm »
ersa "chiptool" series might be an option. The older version of the tweezer (for a digital 2000 station) is available for 265€ at Reichelt. Those stations can often be found quite cheap on Ebay. The tweezers are sometimes called "pincette 40"

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 12:25:17 pm »
New tweezers+stand are about $400.
You can lift the component by grabbing it with regular metal tweezers with curved tips. Just use wide solder tip, heat tweezers with component and lift.
For bigger components - use two soldering irons.

Tweezers are way more convenient than two irons! I recenly lifted half of the pad for the C-size tantalum cap using "two irons" approach.  :-\

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 12:48:29 pm »
ersa "chiptool" series might be an option. The older version of the tweezer (for a digital 2000 station) is available for 265€ at Reichelt. Those stations can often be found quite cheap on Ebay. The tweezers are sometimes called "pincette 40"

Interesting. ERSA is not very popular in the US, which means that tips are probably also rare/expensive.

I don't see any 110V digital 2000 stations now, so it seems to be a rare option.

Tequipment has new https://www.tequipment.net/Ersa/i-CON-2V-CT/Desoldering-Equipment/Rework-Stations/ for $1000. But it seems to be even more exotic than Pace ADS 2000.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 01:08:49 pm »
Could somebody explain whether JBC "compact" stations (CP / CD / CDS) support both tweezers and soldering irons in one station?
I.e. can I buy CP station and plugT210/T245 handle into it?

Or are there "alternative" stations that support both JBC tweezers and soldering irons?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 09:53:36 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/hakko-rf-soldering-tweezers-fx-1003-$240/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/affordable-smd-hot-tweezers/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/manufacture/soldering-iron-tweezers/

The AM120 tweezers use normal JBC plug:
AM120 Adjustable Micro Tweezers can be used with DI, DDE and DME Control Units by using AMS Stand and they can also work with CP Precision Rework Station.

But the peak power of the CP station is listed as 80W, which is less than a T245 can use. CDS only 40W so that won't work for sure. Kinda dumb that they don't explicitly tell you what handles do or do not work with the station. I would send them an email and ask. My guess is it will show an error.

There are definitely stations that support both though.

I did use Weller tweezers once and no - not practical enough to justify purchase.
Maybe if I had single 0402 surrounded by tall electrolytic caps..
Otherwise, regular tweezers are more practical. IMHO.

The reason is more if you need to replace multiple SMD parts on a regular basis, it can be done much faster.
Also less chance of damaging the component.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 09:56:11 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 10:02:07 pm »
Could somebody explain whether JBC "compact" stations (CP / CD / CDS) support both tweezers and soldering irons in one station?
I.e. can I buy CP station and plugT210/T245 handle into it?

Or are there "alternative" stations that support both JBC tweezers and soldering irons?

As far as I know, only the premium line stations support all the tools directly, that means stations like the DDE. The compact stations all have different connectors and tool holders.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 11:57:43 pm »
Last time I checked JBC cartridges were sold as a single, while Pace is selling a pair for the price... Just saying.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2023, 12:40:57 am »
Last time I checked JBC cartridges were sold as a single, while Pace is selling a pair for the price... Just saying.

Tequipment prices for pair:
JBC - C120 $80-100
Pace - MT200 $64
Hakko - T38 RF $71, T16 $75
Metcal - PTTC RF $81

Not much in it.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf