Author Topic: Cheap tools for shrinking heat shrink tubing  (Read 42466 times)

Offline adam1213Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Cheap tools for shrinking heat shrink tubing
« on: February 08, 2013, 10:10:27 pm »
How well do cheap heat guns work for shrinking heat shrink tubing?

e.g. how well might this $35 one work? http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_heat-gun-ozito-2000w-var-temp-ozhg2000wak_P6290113.aspx

Alternatively how well do hair dryer work? I might be able to borrow one for this purpose - though not sure if a hair dryer is in the right temperature range for this.

Offline DavidDLC

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Cheap tools for shrinking heat shrink tubing
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 10:11:18 pm »
I just saw a Ben Heck video using a lighter to do this, you may want to try.

David.

Offline ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 10:12:51 pm »
I've used a hairdryer. Not quite as hot as a heat gun, but it's hot enough to work. Cigarette lighter works too but it's pretty easy to burn the heatshrink this way, also often leaves soot on nearby insulation. Not my favourite way.

I use this cheap one that I got on sale for $10. It works fine, though stank up the place the first couple times I used it...: http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8259210/Dial-%26-Switch-Controls/Electric-Heat-Gun
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:20:11 pm »
I use a little mini propane torch with a builtin igniter.  A few quick flicks and the stuff is shrunk.  No soot.

Course, you don't want the flame to linger on anything for any length of time.

Offline jeroen74

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 10:30:06 pm »
Use a heatgun, it's the proper tool for it. Especially if you use hot melt lined shrink tubing.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 12:12:23 am »
A hot air gun like the ones used for paintstripping is fine as long as it has a power control, as full power is nearer to "Incinerate" than "Shrink"
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 12:42:01 am »
Most hot air guns have two settings. The lower is ideal for heat-shrink tubing. I use the high setting to get the BBQ started within 5 minutes.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 01:15:41 am »
i just use a small butane blowtorch. Ya just have to keep the right distance or you char grill the wires
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Alana

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 01:20:12 am »
I already have hot air rework station so this is my main tool for heatsrinks. But before i got it simple cigar lighter was more than OK, especially when i tweaked it a bit to have longer flame.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 03:17:17 am »
Sparkfun Heaterizer XL-3000 (aka random no-name Chinese heat gun re-badged and sold through Sparkfun).  Seriously, it's $10USD.  It gets hot enough to rework SMD too if you get really close and wait a while.  Sparkfun made their own box and instruction sheet, which are really funny, so check that out.  I got one just as a cheap add-on while checking out one time.  Turns out I used it all the time.  Perfect for heat shrink.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10326

Offline adam1213Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 03:28:40 am »
Thank you for all the suggestions.

I might try using a flame (e.g. lighter / candle) at this stage.

If I was to get a hot air gun it would need to be suited for use in Australia e.g. ~240v.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 04:20:04 am »
I went to a local craft store and bought one for doing Embossing.  Works fine on heat shrink.  I have a hot air station now but still use this cheap one most of the time. $15 U.S.

http://www.widgetsupply.com/product/XSS8-1199-10.html?gclid=CM3U7aCvqLUCFYdT4AodZmoAqA

I'm sure most craft stores carry them.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 04:41:02 am »
at my work i have to use a-lot of heat-shrink, and i also use a small butane lighter, as a recommendation, if you really want your joints to last, look into "double wall" or "adhesive lined" heat-shrink, the glue activates at the same temp the stuff shrinks and it makes a very very good seal, and even after years in a hot engine compartment i have never seen it swell and fail,

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 04:51:12 am »
I have a temp controlled hot air gun, but most of the time, I use a gas soldering torch with a hot air attachment. The actual one I got was from Aldi so it probably cost $20-$30 - I doubt I would have paid more.

With the hot air attachment, there is no flame at the nozzle. It is near instantaneous, it is compact so I can move it around the wire easily, it needs no electricity, and the torch can also solder so it is great for quick field repairs.

The maximum air temp from the hot air nozzle of the torch is 500 degC, but is is easy to turn the gas down for 350 degC at the nozzle and 130degC at a distance of 2cm. By regulating the distance of the torch from the heatshrink, there is no risk burning of wires or heatshrink.

The temperatures needed to shrink heatshrink goes from about 90degC for polyolefin, 100 deg for PVC up to 250 degC for Teflon TFE.

I have also used the very cheap "Gas Soldering Pencil Torch" that you can get on ebay for $3 inc postage, but they do have a significant flame, they have no igniter and the gas flow control is very erratic.

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 06:27:47 am »
Check out butane powered Iroda flameless hot air gun, there are also a lot of cheaper clones

http://www.pro-iroda.com/MJ600.htm

http://www.pro-iroda.com/MJ950.htm

This might not be cheap but it has lasted me quite a while, size and portability is a plus. For me, it work out to be quite cheap in the long run. I used to char heatshrinks with butane micro jets, I learn how to move the flame quickly to avoid the problem but these offer better control.

SMD hotairgun takes a while to heat up, and thermal cycling reduce the heater life. These are really instant and I use them for what they are built for. A great tool indeed if you deal with heatshrink regularly.

Offline jaqie

• Regular Contributor
  • Genuine Girl Techie
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 06:48:21 am »
proper practiced usage of a standard disposable butane lighter will never burn or char quality heatshrink tubing, and any soot that is deposited on it is easily removed with a damp paper towel.

Very cheap, completely portable, ubiquitous, totally non-harmful to target materials, and completely economical in every way.  I personally see nothing better than this for this use...

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 12:43:33 pm »
Thank you for all the suggestions.

I might try using a flame (e.g. lighter / candle) at this stage.

If I was to get a hot air gun it would need to be suited for use in Australia e.g. ~240v.

Get one from Bunnings ,they're so cheap it's not worth trying to get one online.
They are a bit hotter than the ones expressly sold for this use,but you just have to cut the time you heat the tubing a bit.
A hairdryer works OK,but takes longer.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 06:17:24 pm »
I went to a local craft store and bought one for doing Embossing.

This. I have one too for the same purpose. The craft store embossing heat guns are smaller and more precise than the bigger and more powerful paint stripping guns.

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC

Offline Mediarocker

• Contributor
  • If it ain't broke, open it anyway!
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 07:05:17 pm »
Personally, I just use a butane torch. I can direct the heat where it needs to go easily, but sometimes when I'm out of fuel or can't seem to find my torch I just use a lighter. I keep both in my bench.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 07:50:33 pm »
I used to use a hair drier.  I don't like the hot air blowing on other electronic parts which prefer to be cool; (and most of all, my hands.  Heat guns pump out too much heat).  These days, I prefer to use a cigarette lighter.  Quick and convenient.

As to burning and soot darkening other wires (or the color tubing), I came up with an easy way to avoid that:  I wrap the tubing area with a small piece of aluminum foil before applying the flame to it.  There is no soot and reduce (not eliminate) the chance of burning the wire.

Make sure the foil wraps at least once around, or the flame can get in between the wrappings and burn the wire.

Very portable, very cheap, very quick, and very convenient.

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 08:51:19 pm »
proper practiced usage of a standard disposable butane lighter will never burn or char quality heatshrink tubing, and any soot that is deposited on it is easily removed with a damp paper towel.

Can't agree more, we use Wurth heat shrink tubes at work and it comes with a butane lighter, I don't see any problem using a lighter: See here

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 10:23:23 pm »
The cigarette lighter method works good for me, too. You have to keep moving the lighter, don't stay under one section of the tube too long or it wil start to melt. Also don't touch your work with the naked flame as this will leave soot.
I recommend BIC lighters, they're superior in any way to cheap brands.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 10:32:16 pm »
I've used lighters but the embossing heat guns can be used at any angle.  It's sometimes tough using a BIC lighter inside a chassis and close to other components.

I have a new Weller portable butane soldering iron with a heat shield for heat shrinking but have not tried it yet. It's about $45 though but it is a nice working soldering iron.

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 11:12:42 pm »
I've used lighters but the embossing heat guns can be used at any angle.  It's sometimes tough using a BIC lighter inside a chassis and close to other components.

I have a new Weller portable butane soldering iron with a heat shield for heat shrinking but have not tried it yet. It's about $45 though but it is a nice working soldering iron.

I got the old blue and the new red one SLJ, the thing is, it too much hassle to change the nozzle every time specially if you are outside and just used the soldering iron and want to shrink, the soldering is too hot to take out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf