Author Topic: Chromebook - how do you like it?  (Read 9444 times)

Offline Rick LawTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Chromebook - how do you like it?
« on: May 20, 2015, 10:27:26 pm »
Any user of Google Chromebook here?  What do you think about the UI (Manufacturer doesn't matter) and general friendliness as a web browser, youtube player, listening to audio and watching video on line?

While I do not particularly care for Google, I think they are rather intrusive.  I am however thinking about it as an XP laptop replacement for my wife.

I rather see the opinion of folks here than reading a review done by someone unknown.

Thanks for your input!

Rick

Offline smjcuk

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Chromebook - how do you like it?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 10:32:09 pm »
Got one here. Acer C720. It's horrid.

Inflexible, unreliable and basically a large brick if you have to go offline for any period of time. Constant tab crashes, youtube hangs, noisy audio output and it's really badly made; you can bend it when it's closed easily.

I'm only keeping it because our product has a web interface and the font metrics are different to Chrome on windows and OSX so we need to test our stuff on it separately.

Sure there are better ones out there than the C720 but the software is cripplingly bad.

Offline chad

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 11:03:43 pm »
I have an acer c720p and I really like it. I have fast other devices tabs,pc and It isn't them but for~200 usd it a great little "web appliance" If you don't go in thinking you are getting a macbook pro then you will be fine. I bought it on a whim just to play with and I find myself using it quite a bit. I have had a couple of youtube crashes in general haven't found a major bugs. Smjcuk would disagree, but I have been happy with mine.
So there you go, one person hates it, one person likes it. 50/50 Flip a coin :)

chad

Offline MapleLeaf

• Contributor
  • Why don't wands have Si in them? Real Magic!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 12:30:03 am »
I also have an Acer 720. I really like it. I use it about two times a day. Boots in seconds so i can surf the web. It has never  crashed, plays videos just fine. I also play videos off the web out the hdmi port to my big screen TV. Nice. The battery lasts about 6 hours. It is not a laptop PC. It will not run PC apps. But that is not what i needed.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 01:02:38 am »
I am also reading and writing this on an Acer C720. I really like it for web browsing, youtube watching and the fact it turns on instantly.

It gets some time to get used to a few missing keys such as Del (Alt-Backspace), End (Ctrl-Alt Down Arrow) and Home (Ctrl-Alt Up Arrow), while others are very handy (which replace the Fn keys on the top of the keyboard).

All in all, it is not a PC for apps but it is great for entertainment.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 01:50:29 am »
 Why does everybody has the same model?

Not much that I can contribute with except mentioning I never liked Acer's built quality. They'rr very cheap and unnecessarily heavy and bulky, so keep an eye on those flaws when looking for Acers.

Online all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 01:59:03 am »
I did consider ChromeBook  but end up going with refurbised netbook, Asus X200CA (win8).  The last laptop few year back was also a netbook from gigabyte, it was a XP machine.  They have been very good value for money.

My luck and my friends' luck with Acer was not good, from laptop to DVD drive, all broke down way too fast.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 03:30:42 am by all_repair »

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 02:05:10 am »
At this sort of money, isn't it good to consider a tablet with a keyboard? Even Android is more useful than Chrome OS.

Like so:
http://www.amazon.com/Vivotab-ME400C-C2-BK-10-1-Inch-Tablet-Office/dp/B00CY9Q8AQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1432173972&sr=1-6&keywords=android+tablet
Infinately more useful. OK, it's not an Intel architecture but it's still miles ahead of Chrome OS. Also it should run Office.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 02:07:32 am by ivan747 »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 02:21:18 am »
At this sort of money,
Your analysis makes sense, but I was very lucky and got mine as a gift...  :-+

(edit) BTW, I have two other Acers and the quality of this model tops the others by a long mile.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 02:23:17 am by rsjsouza »

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline gdewitte

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 02:30:41 am »
I have one of the original Cr-48s and like it. I've been using it for the last 4+ years without problems. True it's not an Intel/Windows box with thousands of programs, but for reading emails, checking websites, and doing the occasional Google doc, it's great.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 03:20:19 am »
At this sort of money,

(edit) BTW, I have two other Acers and the quality of this model tops the others by a long mile.

And now I noticed that even these sub-200 dollar tables have Intel processors. Amazing. I kinda want one now  ::)
But I got no money for it right now  :--
I hope that category of product doesn't fade away in the next years.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 10:59:39 am »
Unless it is a heavy money loss operation for Google, I don't think it will go into oblivion as it holds a captive market for computer iliterate folks that want/need to be on the web for whatever reason.

Also, an advantage over "pure" tablets is that it has a keyboard while keeping the same instant on capability and a long battery life.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 01:59:34 pm »
I have one of the original Cr-48s and like it. I've been using it for the last 4+ years without problems. True it's not an Intel/Windows box with thousands of programs, but for reading emails, checking websites, and doing the occasional Google doc, it's great.
You can turn one into a regular PC netbook by reflashing the BIOS.

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 05:25:43 pm »
I had a Toshiba C30 Chromebook for about 10minutes.
That was the ime it took to reflash the bios , and install Linux Mint  :-DD

/Bingo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 07:21:45 pm »

I had a Toshiba C30 Chromebook for about 10minutes.
That was the ime it took to reflash the bios , and install Linux Mint  :-DD

/Bingo

Ah, I didn't think of that...   I knew folks here will have excellent comments.

This re-BIOSing the machine could be an option.  Before I go the route of Chrome book, I have to research to make sure that particular model can be reflashed!

Thanks!!!

At this sort of money, isn't it good to consider a tablet with a keyboard? Even Android is more useful than Chrome OS.

Like so:
http://www.amazon.com/Vivotab-ME400C-C2-BK-10-1-Inch-Tablet-Office/dp/B00CY9Q8AQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1432173972&sr=1-6&keywords=android+tablet
Infinately more useful. OK, it's not an Intel architecture but it's still miles ahead of Chrome OS. Also it should run Office.

That reminded me my daughter's the tablet like Samsung Notes, every little app has to be purchased.

I am assuming the Chrome book can do something like Youtube, play DVD (disk or net share ISO files), play audio (net shared mp3) without additional app purchase.  This could be a wrong assumption...  Anyone know for sure?

Thanks
Rick

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 11:39:01 pm »
Any user of Google Chromebook here?  What do you think about the UI (Manufacturer doesn't matter) and general friendliness as a web browser, youtube player, listening to audio and watching video on line?

While I do not particularly care for Google, I think they are rather intrusive.  I am however thinking about it as an XP laptop replacement for my wife.

Get her a Mac Air Book and she will love you for eternity.

It's a great mobile machine that is loved by newbies and hackers alike.

My 2c.

Online all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 12:02:17 am »

I did not choose that because I found that the ram, harddisk, etc had to upgraded and that chrome models I seen did not allow easy upgrading, and an upgraded chrome model shall cost more to a netbook.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 02:54:13 am »
At this sort of money,

And now I noticed that even these sub-200 dollar tables have Intel processors. Amazing. I kinda want one now  ::)
But I got no money for it right now  :--

Lol, turns out I DO have money for one of these  ;D It's $80, delivered. Brand-name. Quite capable, apart from the 1GB of RAM. Reportedly you're left with 13GB of usable space.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/HP-Stream-7-Signature-Edition-Tablet/productID.308781500
That should help me a LOT when carrying stuff around campus. I often get muscle pains and even headaches that turn into migraines from a heavy backpack and this should do the trick 90% of the time.

I don't know if this is the sort of thing your wife (I think?) would like though.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 02:57:01 am by ivan747 »

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 03:07:21 am »

That reminded me my daughter's the tablet like Samsung Notes, every little app has to be purchased.

I am assuming the Chrome book can do something like Youtube, play DVD (disk or net share ISO files), play audio (net shared mp3) without additional app purchase.  This could be a wrong assumption...  Anyone know for sure?

Thanks
Rick

The DVD part... not so sure. DVDs are getting obsolete, believe it or not. I highly doubt it will handle ISO files. You need Windows for that, in my humble opinion. The rest of it, I expect it to do that, but I don't have experience with that.
Update: the answer seems to be a pretty big no:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromebook-central/W_biaOHUBD4

If you went the Windows route, it's your familiar x86, 32 bit Windows 8.1, if you choose an Atom processor.
Again, in my honest opinion, Android on tablets sucks. Unlike Apple, which has a huge control over their products, there's no line between phone and tables in the Android world, so you get a very sub-par experience in lager devices, when apps often have to suit the least common denominator. I had that experience with a Kindle Fire, which is Android in the end.

Someone suggested Apple. I'd agree, but only if you have that sort of money to spend on a computer. She will be happy with it, though. The OS makes sense and just works, and more so if you use and like their services.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:10:14 am by ivan747 »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 03:47:27 pm »
Someone suggested Apple. I'd agree, but only if you have that sort of money to spend on a computer. She will be happy with it, though. The OS makes sense and just works, and more so if you use and like their services.

It depends on the chrombook. The Pixel for example costs $1000 and you can get a macbook air for $900. 

BTW, a friend shown me the other day an android app that he was running on a chrome browser running on a mac air 11" using at tool called Arc Welder. He is also runs multiple linux instances on the same machine and uses Vagrant to manage the configurations. I was impressed.

Operating systems become more and more interchangeable but the Mac book is the best mobile hardware IMO.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 04:17:58 pm »
Get her a Mac Air Book and she will love you for eternity.

It's a great mobile machine that is loved by newbies and hackers alike.

My 2c.

It depends on the chrombook. The Pixel for example costs $1000 and you can get a macbook air for $900. 

BTW, a friend shown me the other day an android app that he was running on a chrome browser running on a mac air 11" using at tool called Arc Welder. He is also runs multiple linux instances on the same machine and uses Vagrant to manage the configurations. I was impressed.

Operating systems become more and more interchangeable but the Mac book is the best mobile hardware IMO.

Apple is definitely not in the mix.  My wife doesn't really care for Apple machines - too much of a "kid's toy" in her view.

Thanks
Rick

The DVD part... not so sure. DVDs are getting obsolete, believe it or not. I highly doubt it will handle ISO files. You need Windows for that, in my humble opinion. The rest of it, I expect it to do that, but I don't have experience with that.
Update: the answer seems to be a pretty big no:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromebook-central/W_biaOHUBD4

If you went the Windows route, it's your familiar x86, 32 bit Windows 8.1, if you choose an Atom processor.
Again, in my honest opinion, Android on tablets sucks. Unlike Apple, which has a huge control over their products, there's no line between phone and tables in the Android world, so you get a very sub-par experience in lager devices, when apps often have to suit the least common denominator. I had that experience with a Kindle Fire, which is Android in the end.

I was stupid.  I just assumed it would.  After using it for so long, it seem so much just "part of what a PC should do."  - The inability of playing DVD-ISO from server is a big draw back - likely a show stopper.

I have all our family video tapes on DVD-ISO on a windows server.  I don't want to remake > 10 years of home videos.  And then there is the purchased DVD movies.  I still have a library of old DVD movies.  I sure am not going to re-purchase another set of "Jurassic Park", "Star Wars" or 007.  BlueRay may be an improvement, but not even close to being able to justify the extra expense of replacing old movies.  That is the reason thus far I have not purchased any BlueRay stuff.

I think I was lamenting about this very sentiment in one of my replies in "love old technology" thread.  I am just tired these upgrade treadmill.  Some of my purchased DVD movie (not fake, not copies but original) are less than 4GB and look like VHS transers.  They are not using the full capability of the 8GB DVD.  And now they hope I would upgrade to a >20GB-capability machine to watch a VHS transfer...

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 04:28:25 pm »
I think VLC can play those, and that'll be platform-independent. You might have to find a way to mount the ISO - Mac and Linux can do that natively, Windows has extensions you can install.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2015, 08:29:35 pm »
I think VLC can play those, and that'll be platform-independent. You might have to find a way to mount the ISO - Mac and Linux can do that natively, Windows has extensions you can install.

Windows 8 mounts ISOs natively. MICROSOFT FINALLY GOT SOMETHING RIGHT, OUT OF THE BOX.

Now it just needs real PDF support (the way Preview does it... I can't even crop a PDF document and save it on another PDF file without buying freaking Acrobat), photo sorting, PDF previews, better compressed file support and a screenshot utility. Mac need paint. Linux needs consistency.

Call me conspiratorial but I think Microsoft doesn't include any of that 'cause it's being lobbied by Adobe and the likes.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 08:34:29 pm by ivan747 »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2015, 08:39:16 pm »
Apple is definitely not in the mix.  My wife doesn't really care for Apple machines - too much of a "kid's toy" in her view.

I don't see how Chromebook is considered an 'adult's toy' but what do I know.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2015, 08:49:22 pm »

I was stupid.  I just assumed it would.  After using it for so long, it seem so much just "part of what a PC should do."  - The inability of playing DVD-ISO from server is a big draw back - likely a show stopper.

I have all our family video tapes on DVD-ISO on a windows server.  I don't want to remake > 10 years of home videos.  And then there is the purchased DVD movies.  I still have a library of old DVD movies.  I sure am not going to re-purchase another set of "Jurassic Park", "Star Wars" or 007.  BlueRay may be an improvement, but not even close to being able to justify the extra expense of replacing old movies.  That is the reason thus far I have not purchased any BlueRay stuff.

I think I was lamenting about this very sentiment in one of my replies in "love old technology" thread.  I am just tired these upgrade treadmill.  Some of my purchased DVD movie (not fake, not copies but original) are less than 4GB and look like VHS transers.  They are not using the full capability of the 8GB DVD.  And now they hope I would upgrade to a >20GB-capability machine to watch a VHS transfer...

Seems like you're gonna go the Windows route. Please allow me to suggest some stuff from the Windows Store. We had a good experience with them when we went to a store in Puerto Rico. The devices come with no crapware preinstalled, many of these low end devices bundle Office for a year for free.
This one's a bargain, at $200, the thing is, it comes in blue: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/HP-Stream-11-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.309174400
The same thing, but 2 inches larger. Screen resolution is the same, though, so no advantage there, in my opinion:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/HP-Stream-13-c077nr-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.309174500
I had a great experience with the first Asus EeeBook ever, so I get fuzzy feelings about this one:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/ASUS-EeeBook-X205TA-US01-BL-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.311268400
I havent looked into it, though. On the surface it seems very nice, and the battery capacity is very good, unlike the HP counterpart. The color scheme is more adult as well.
This thing is very sweet as well:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/ASUS-Transformer-Book-T100TAF-B1-MS-Signature-Edition-2-in-1-PC/productID.309074700
Beats the hell out of an iPad if you ask me. And to me it's more useful than Android, but that's just me, the engineer.
Just so that you get an idea of what's out there  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf