Author Topic: CNC Router software for dummies  (Read 2758 times)

Offline akisTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
CNC Router software for dummies
« on: June 24, 2015, 09:30:29 pm »
I have an old Roland CAMM-2 PNC-2001A router and would like to see if I can use it to do anything with it. Could you please recommend (free/ware) software for Windows?

Offline lincoln

• Regular Contributor
Re: CNC Router software for dummies
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 11:28:48 pm »

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 08:39:24 am »
What are the connections on it? It might be something proprietary.

Simplifying the whole process hugely:
  • To draw something and generate g-code I'd recommend CamBam.
    G-code is simple, so if you just want to test it by moving the machine in a square you could write it by hand.
  • To take g-code and generate the dir and step pulse to drive a stepper motor I'D recommend Mach3 (or LinuxCNC)
  • You might need a PC with a proper parallel port. Dells are good for this.
  • You'll need a stepper motor driver which might be built in to the machine but might not.

Offline akisTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 10:14:13 am »
Unfortunately the Roland CNC Router was broken with dodgy external wiring between main unit and router so that it did not detect the end run from the microswitch sensors resulting in terrible noises coming out from the stepper motors. In addition the left-right movement's cog wheel is made of plastic and many teeth were mangled and the movement was not all that great eitrher. Finally it does not use an ordinary collet and drill bits but rather a custom/long drill bit around 3mm diameter, in the end it was too much for me and I threw the whole thing out.

I did come across Mach3 and Mach4 and I think that's the way to go to work with a CNC router at home.

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 01:00:01 pm »
If it had a plastic gear wheel for one of the axes then it wouldn't be able to mill very much. Just googled and it does look like a very old engraver. Wouldn't be able to do much other than maybe mill wax so you can do casting.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf