Author Topic: Component identification  (Read 1503 times)

Offline FloopyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • I'm going to need another oscilloscope to fix that
Component identification
« on: September 30, 2018, 05:05:18 pm »
I'm sorry if this is another one of those "what is it?" post, but I really have no clue and it's intriguing me.

I found this in my "unknown box". It's some kind of transistor? Does anyone know what it could be? I can't see any markings on it.
 :-//
I also have a connector I need to find another one. Does anyone know the name of it?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Component identification
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 06:26:39 pm »
Transistor is the sensor for a passive Infra red sensor, basically a Jfet with the gate coupled to the output of a pair of IR thermodetectors, behind a germanium window.

Offline FloopyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • I'm going to need another oscilloscope to fix that
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 09:16:55 pm »
Transistor is the sensor for a passive Infra red sensor, basically a Jfet with the gate coupled to the output of a pair of IR thermodetectors, behind a germanium window.
Wow I would have never guessed. I'll try using it, I'm wondering if it's sensible enough to see infrared emotions from something like a body.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 09:20:42 pm »
No, it's looking for rapid changes. those sort of PIR detectors normally have a segmented Fresnel lens in front of them to detect movement (by causing transitions).
Best Regards, Chris

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 03:30:49 am »
Wow I would have never guessed. I'll try using it, I'm wondering if it's sensible enough to see infrared emotions from something like a body.
Do a search for something like 'PIR motion circuit'; there should be plenty.
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf