Author Topic: Dangerous Li-ion charger  (Read 1825 times)

Offline sg-oTopic starter

• Contributor
Dangerous Li-ion charger
« on: October 19, 2018, 04:54:01 pm »
I bought a cheap Chinese LED torch that works of a single 18650 li-ion cell.
Included with the light was a li-ion charger that works of mains power. The charger felt very light and cheap so I decided to have a peek inside before using it. That was a very good idea. The clearance between mains and low voltage was ridiculously low (< 1mm). Have a look at the attached images.

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
Re: Dangerous Li-ion charger
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 11:08:49 pm »
That is awful, so many things wrong with that design.

The sticker made me laugh on it though, amazing bit of Chinglish  :-DD

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 12:30:05 am »
Unlikely to be a real problem in practice unless you're the type to touch metal parts while the power is on. :o

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 12:31:37 am »
Unlikely to be a real problem in practice unless you're the type to touch metal parts while the power is on. :o

I wouldn't put an 18650 in that.

Offline sg-oTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 01:54:30 pm »
If you want to insert a cell into the charger you have to touch metal parts. Many people that buy a charger like this won't have a clue how dangerous this device is and just leave it plugged in.
I also wasn't able to find any data on the charge controller ic. I think that there is a good chance that it could overcharge cells and cause fires, etc.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 02:49:50 pm »
The clearance between mains and low voltage was ridiculously low (< 1mm).
If you want to insert a cell into the charger you have to touch metal parts. Many people that buy a charger like this won't have a clue how dangerous this device is and just leave it plugged in.
i've bought many china led torch throughout the years, they usually malfunctioned due to wear on the button switch, but the cheap charger that came with em is hard to damage electrically, so i kind of accumulating those. i've repurposed 2 unit of em, removed the circuit and only take the casing to become battery charger and discharger, to manually connected to my PSU or e-load etc. i still have like 3 unit unused in the box, and currently one in operation, charging my discharged lion batteries etc. the previous one failed mechanically due to dislocated plug after many years of service. i can fix it somehow but since i have many stock why bother? electrical functioning? i have ZERO issue.

its galvanically isolated. the only possible issue is creepage failure which i never see it happening on my units. ymmv. ps: i'm in 240Vac country, not the lower type.

you are free to do whatever you think appropriate for your and your money safety. i saw people using fancy intelligent mcu per battery lion charger that costs hundreds, but i only need those cheapo charger its fine and did the job for me, ymmv.

I also wasn't able to find any data on the charge controller ic. I think that there is a good chance that it could overcharge cells and cause fires, etc.
they are using HT3582DA lion charger chip (DIP8 at least on my units, yours seems different footprint) you'll need cantonese class though. if anything, this guy should fail first but i never see it happening in my entire real life time using it. ymmv.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 07:13:24 pm »
The clearance between mains and low voltage was ridiculously low (< 1mm).
i've bought many china led torch throughout the years, they usually malfunctioned due to wear on the button switch, but the cheap charger that came with em is hard to damage electrically, so i kind of accumulating those. i've repurposed 2 unit of em, removed the circuit and only take the casing to become battery charger and discharger, to manually connected to my PSU or e-load etc. i still have like 3 unit unused in the box, and currently one in operation, charging my discharged lion batteries etc. the previous one failed mechanically due to dislocated plug after many years of service. i can fix it somehow but since i have many stock why bother? electrical functioning? i have ZERO issue.

its galvanically isolated. the only possible issue is creepage failure which i never see it happening on my units. ymmv. ps: i'm in 240Vac country, not the lower type.

you are free to do whatever you think appropriate for your and your money safety. i saw people using fancy intelligent mcu per battery lion charger that costs hundreds, but i only need those cheapo charger its fine and did the job for me, ymmv.

they are using HT3582DA lion charger chip (DIP8 at least on my units, yours seems different footprint) you'll need cantonese class though. if anything, this guy should fail first but i never see it happening in my entire real life time using it. ymmv.

I bought a Pila IBC back in 2013, been in use all day every day and my batteries just keep going. Best charger I've owned, paid for itself 10 times over.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf