Author Topic: Dangerous Metcal MFR-1351  (Read 3439 times)

Offline PA4TIMTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
Dangerous Metcal MFR-1351
« on: June 18, 2017, 07:28:03 pm »
Since 2 years I have a MFR-1351 with soldering and desoldering handpiece. I use it professional. Within a year the desoldergun died and the soldering handpiece strainreleave broke (that was after a week or so)
Farnell gave me a new station under warrantie. 

A few months ago I noticed the wire from the replaced soldering handpiece was warm. But that got worse. Last time I used it (a few weeks ago) I burned my arm. The wire temperature just outside the handpiece was over 100 degrees Celcius (the temp water boils for the imperialists ;-) )

Farnell told me the warrantie is 2 years, the first year via Farnell, the second via Metcal direct

But Metcal USA reacted a bit bizar:

- First, it was a known problem solved in the handpieces sold now. But they wanted the number on the connector. I mailed that and I had good hope
- The answer, Sorry, warranty is only one year and yours is older
- They adviced  to buy a new handpiece.

It is not the money but the fact that they know their gear is dangerous and do nothing. I bet that if I was in the USA this would end in court and would cost them much more as 70 euro for a new iron... to bad I live in the Netherlands.

Does someone know what is going wrong in the iron and if there is a risc my desolder handpiece will get the same problem ?

In the mean time I gave my trusty old MBT250 a good overhaul (i had kept that as a backup but over 20 years old I wanted something new and faster heating so bought Metcal   :palm: ) , replaced my crusty SX-70 for a brand new SX-100 (wow, that sucks, in the right way  ;)  ) and now use that set as main soldering station (I also have a 10 year old Wellerstation I use for smd) The Metcal had more issues in 2 year as all my other soldering gear over > 10 years.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 06:04:48 pm by PA4TIM »
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
Re: Dangerous Metcal MFR-1351
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 08:47:55 pm »
tell farnell that as the sales agent the warranty issue is there problem, and in europe the minimum warranty is 2years by law.

The following users thanked this post: Yansi, tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 07:43:14 pm »
An update, I never went through  the trouble to force them to warranty but today I opened my handpiece because I wanted to know what the problem was. Because it was a know problem according to Metcal. 
I found the problem. A very bad QC.

There are 2 cores and a shield.
The red wire goes to the center of a simple  "coaxial connector " that holds the tip-cartridge. If you have a lath you can make it yourself. This looks like brass and a very simple construction
The black one, is soldered  to the outside of the connector. Both parts are separated by a plastic sleeve. The shielding of the "coax" is soldered to a green wire.

The black wire measures between 4 and 6kOhm if I move the cable so it is probably broken. It still worked because they put it very bad together. There is a metal tubing pressed to a hex shape above the connector in the handpiece. This sharp metal had partly cut through the black cable shorting it to the shield . So now the shielding carried the return current. I think this is the reason the cable got over 100 degrees C (and maybe why it killed a new cartridge in a few weeks ?) The connector part that goes in the PSU was also not done very well.

So I'm now very curious how they solved this production fault.

If someone is interested I can make some pictures of the construction. You can get them apart by cutting of the end of the handpiece.  If I can find some time I want to make a new handpiece-end from aluminum and teflon so I can take it apart easy and use if for brute force stuff and as a back-up for my Pace. (the quality of the Metcal sucks but it solders very good) That is, if I not sell the two Metcal stations and  buy a ADS200.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:25:00 pm by PA4TIM »
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 09:19:37 pm »
Take some photos of it anyway for prosperity.

Probably best to just get a Pace ADS200 with the ISB, all the work has been done for you on the handle and you get the adjustable temp and nice gui. Then hold out until we see where the Accudrive line heads and if there is a successor to the MBT series and go from there.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: Yansi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 05:23:18 pm »
Here some pictures. The paper has drawings how it is constructed. The place the wire was broken was easy to find. It was the location it got over 100 degrees. The copper was much darker there. I had to cut of about 10 cm extra before it was normal.
I soldered everything and mounted it in the handpiece. I did not bother at the moment to make a new handpiece. It works, all I have to do is being careful not the pull it apart because the shrink-tubing does not hold it very strong but good enough for now. (as a spare station) I  know  a new handpiece is not very expensive but Metcal will never get any money from me again for this junk.

Edit: pictures to big: http://www.pa4tim.nl/?p=6082 on my site you can see the rest.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 06:05:07 pm by PA4TIM »

The following users thanked this post: Shock

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 01:44:45 am »
If the handle is not holding up, might be worth buying a replacement then ebaying it. Better to get the money tied up in it now than later.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Acecool

• Regular Contributor
  • -Acecool
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 05:17:47 am »
If you still have the same problem, and you did try to get warranty support for the unit and you were denied within the 2 year legally mandated warranty period - you can still get a replacement...

By law they have to - tell the place you purchased that you've been trying to get warranty support for the last ( however long it has been since you tried ) and have received no help.. Also state the law in Europe requires 2 years warranty and if the manufacturer isn't going to cover it, they will need to...

This will light a fire up under them and they'll be obligated to help you resolve the issue... At the least, you can have the dangerous items blacklisted from Farnell and the seller / manufacturer for not honoring a legally binding warranty agreement or the Law in the EU...

Since you tried to get support for the problem you have within the first 2 years, they still have to resolve it even if it has been 3 years because you've followed the law and protocol but they didn't... Because you've been through this, you will need to fight it and get a solution so others that go through this problem won't need to ( meaning this fight will help others in the same position ).... If you don't want to do it for yourself, then do it so the dangerous item doesn't hurt someone.. Or do it so they are forced to fix the broken unit..

OR, even better yet - report them and their defective unit so it'll be recalled in all of Europe... Or, you can promise Farnell and the manufacturer that this is a viable solution - if they still won't repair it, follow through.. The laws in Europe are very pro-consumer in a lot of areas, but especially pro safety... The wire can boil water, so it can start a FIRE... it is a hazard and a risk to all that own it so it needs to be resolved.
Just because it works, doesn't make it right -Josh 'Acecool' Moser

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf