Author Topic: Dangerous soldering iron? Or am I to blame?  (Read 8463 times)

Offline roberts.techTopic starter

• Contributor
Dangerous soldering iron? Or am I to blame?
« on: July 28, 2018, 10:23:46 pm »
I recently purchased an American Beauty 'Little Dandy' soldering iron. I took it out of the box and noticed a couple things. The handle did not appear to have any means of securing it to the frame of the iron and it was put on crooked so it looked bent. I decided that's just the way it was and started to use it.
It was a 50 watt with a large tip that I bought to work on pc boards with large traces and ground planes. The tip runs very hot and it was hard to keep it tinned especially with the flux I was using.
I had only used the iron about three times when THE TIP BECAME ELECTRIFIED TO THE MAINS VOLTAGE, 120VAC!
It sparked on the equipment I was working on even thought the equipment was not connected to any power source.
I have a metal soldering iron holder where I can park three irons while working. When I went to put the American Beauty back into the holder it sparked again because it conducted through the other irons grounded tips. I measured the tip with my Fluke and it had 120 volts on it.
I returned the iron to American Beauty and they blamed me. They said I did not keep the tip properly tinned and therefore had to put too much pressure on the iron, bending the handle back and forth until the wires inside came undone. They did give me a refund but would not take any responsibility for what I think is a defective and dangerous product.
I have worked on equipment like this for more that forty years. I have used all types of soldering irons. Not one of them has ever come apart like this and I have not recently changed my soldering methods. I have a Weller, an Unger, and a Radio shack iron all used for the same purpose and they are over twenty years old and have never failed.
So who is to blame? And what should I do? I fear someone may be killed by this iron.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Dangerous soldering iron? Or am I to blame?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 10:29:08 pm »
Their accusation sounds totally ridiculous to me, a soldering iron tip should not become electrified no matter how hard you press on it, that's absurd.

I wouldn't bother with any conventional soldering iron anymore anyway though, proper temperature controlled soldering stations are not that expensive anymore. They are so much better than the basic irons that just run full power all the time. You could have 80-100W on hand but still set the temperature appropriately for whatever you're using it for.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, tooki, roberts.tech

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 11:10:42 pm »
I have taken apart several heaters for soldering irons over the last 40 years.

Many of them (older ones mostly) , including several well known makes, were driven directly from the mains or a triac connected to the line.
The only thing between the mains powered tungsten heater wire and the tip assembly was a thing mica sheet.  They kept the sheet as thin as possible for heat transfer.
So, this scenario is entirely possible.

Is this soldering iron powered directly from the AC line like the old ones or does it have a control system box with a transformer? You can usually tell if the iron wand is rated at 24 or 48V DC PWM or straight 110VAC...
Use an ohm meter and check for continuity between the tip and the AC plug.

Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

The following users thanked this post: roberts.tech

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 11:19:45 pm »
It's curious.

The irons that run directly on mains are almost always 2 plug. And almost every iron that actually runs off a low voltage transformer is grounded.

A grounded tip would have have turned your lights out. In the good way!

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 11:44:44 pm »
You should have kept the one that nearly electrocuted you as evidence. You could buy another and see if you can replicate the first instance if you are really concerned. It's entirely up to you how you deal with it.

Thank god you weren't electrocuted or worse even!   :--
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 12:06:36 am »
This iron does not have a control box. It plugs directly into the 120 volt outlet. It has a three prong plug.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 12:14:20 am »
If it had a three prong plug then any exposed metal parts should have been connected to the ground pin. A short circuit making the tip live should have tripped a breaker.

But 50 W irons that plug directly into the mains are commonly known as "fire sticks". They may be OK for word burning, but not so good for electronics.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 12:43:13 am »
Yes I agree I should have a top quality iron. I solder almost every day. American Beauty products are made in the USA. They have been making industrial grade soldering irons for many years. The list price is $80. I thought this was a pretty high price for just a standard non temp controlled iron but I wanted a quality iron that would just put out a lot of heat. I do sometimes press down on the iron to get good heat transfer but I do this with all my irons that I have been using for many, many years. The 'Little Dandy' iron looked very strange in that there were no screws or anything holding the handle on and the handle was not put on straight. Maybe that should have been a clue that should have just returned it.

The tip of this iron is grounded. This is a feature I wanted as I work on electronic equipment. When the iron was placed back in my stand which is grounded it blew the breaker in the building. According to the American Beauty investigation they said the ground wire came of first and then the hot wire came off and touched the frame. They claim the pressure I used on the iron rocked the handle back and forth causing the wires to break free. I do not lean that hard on my irons. I even checked my other irons and applied pressure to the handles and there was no movement that could dislodge a wire.

Rather than buying another American Beauty iron I would like to see some independent test of this product. I guess I could report this product to some consumer agency?
I will definitely will be doing more research before I buy another iron.
Thank you for all the responses.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 01:56:58 am by roberts.tech »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 01:28:28 am »
For large connections, consider getting a soldering gun instead?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 01:46:48 am »
I do have a soldering gun but I don't use it much anymore. Maybe I should. This discussion has made me think I should only be using soldering stations that are isolated and regulated.
I was very lucky that I was not electrocuted because I did not have my other hand on the equipment I was soldering on. I was very shaken by the incident so I will spend the money and get a good soldering station.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 02:20:37 am »
:o Who even thought naming a company that makes soldering irons American Beauty was a good idea...?

Even a 936 clone doesn't have problems like this.

The following users thanked this post: LeonR

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 02:31:13 am »
:o Who even thought naming a company that makes soldering irons American Beauty was a good idea...?

Even a 936 clone doesn't have problems like this.

LOL! Imagine being electrocuted by a soldering iron with a stupid name like American Beauty! At least if it was called The BIG Shocker or something you wouldn't feel like a big sissy....after you had recovered from the electrocution that is....IF you recovered at all that is!

Thinking outside the box....  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 03:04:45 am »
If you've been in the trade for 40 years, why not buy a good iron and use it for a decade?

OK blueskull... I'll assume your misread my reply....

Yes I have used soldering irons for 40 years plus. Yes I have seen and owned , in the early days, some questionable irons that were standard at the time and repaired them when needed.
(removed, may have been a tad harsh)
Here is my present setup.

Just wanted to point out that it is possible in some designs that do send 110V AC to the tip heater (even with 3 prong plugs if isolated with a 1 meg resistor) to have an issue.

Cheers

« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 03:25:24 am by richnormand »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 03:10:38 am »
Cheers. No issue.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 03:44:36 am »
Well it is worse than that. The company name is American Beauty but the model of the soldering iron is the 'Little Dandy".
Yes, now I am ashamed I ever bought it. Maybe that's why there was no name plate or label on the handle of the iron because they are ashamed of it.
It is obvious this company has put cost over safety.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2018, 04:30:15 am »
China probably learned it from the US, it's certainly nothing new here. Overall product quality went into a decline starting sometime around the early to mid 80s and that downward trajectory has continued.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2018, 05:45:33 am »
The consumer is the one to blame, everyone wants the world at a bargain price, so the companies are on a race to the bottom to try to get those sales from the cheapskates who won't pay a fair price for a good quality product, who then bitch and moan that the thing they bought for pennies from China (or the USA, or anywhere these days) is total crap.

If you stop buying cheap shit, they'll stop making cheap shit.

(That's not a jab at the OP, it's a jab at whoever buys cheap crap in general :D ).
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, blueskull

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2018, 10:10:10 am »
It's possible that this iron had been opened for some reason by a previous owner and then returned and somehow resold to you by accident?

Personally I'd have investigated the handle more before using it, in order to check that it was safe to use. So in that sense, yes you were partly to blame as you should have relied on your senses more in the first place. You yourself admitted to be concerned about the handle not looking right when you took it out of the box.

That said though, the ground wire should always be longest wire on a termination point so that is the last connection to fail if pressure is applied that causes wires to be come disconnected. Same reason why the ground pin should be the longest one so it makes ground connection first and breaks last for safety.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M, roberts.tech

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2018, 04:09:59 pm »
When the tip that was supposed to be grounded gets eletrically hot  :-DD  this would need a double fault: one wire getting loose and one wrong connection. This should not happen, under essentially no circumstances, even if you misuse it as a hammer.  Claiming that too much pressure because of a poorly tinned tip could cause that kind of defect is what makes me scared of that product - even more than a single unit failing, for what ever reason (e.g. wired the wrong way from the start, poor repair,...).

However in an electronics lab there should be a GFI for the outlets - that should have tripped, when touching the stand and similar. So there is a second fault.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 04:13:37 pm »
i'm feeling lucky i havent spent $1400 in 10 years span just for a iron. maybe $100-200 tops incl maintenance everything.

I've probably spent $200 over the 18 years I've had my Edsyn soldering station, including the $150 I paid for it at the time. It was used but in good shape, seems like new ones were around $300-$400 back then.

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 06:05:22 pm »
Yes I do take some responsibility. I have worked in the electronics industry all my life and I know junk when I see it. When I first looked at the iron and saw it was bent and saw no means of support I then looked to see if by chance it was UL approved. No UL stamp, no name on the handle, looked a bit dodgy as Dave would say and I still used it.

As far as the grounded tip goes per Dave video #596 if the ground had stayed attached then it should have blown the bench circuit breaker when the tip became electrified. So yes to have both wires dislodge is pretty awful and proves a very poor and unsafe design.

Given that this is from a very well established American company and that this type of iron is very common, it may be a good subject for Dave to cover just from a safety standpoint.
They may call them fire sticks but are they really all potential lighting sticks?

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 07:58:18 pm »
I guess what you bought is similar to this? https://americanbeautytools.com/soldering-iron-3112/8/features

I think in general this kind of iron tends to run hot and will smoke flux. If it is pumping 50 W of heat into the tip all the time even when not touching the work then that 50 W has nowhere to go, so the tip will get hotter and hotter and hotter until the convective cooling in the air balances it. That means every part of the iron is potentially vulnerable to heat damage. If the iron is parked tip downwards (for example in a stand), then heat will tend to rise up towards the handle and affect any wires or connections at the handle end.

There is a place for irons like this in hobby and craft work, but probably not for electronics.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2018, 08:09:15 pm »
Wow, that thing is crazy expensive. For not much more you can get a Hakko temperature controlled soldering station. I used an iron like that when I was a kid, they were about 10 bucks at Radio Shack and proper soldering stations cost several hundred at the time but I wouldn't use one now.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2018, 08:17:53 pm »
Buy a metcal! I’ve got the cheaper PS-900 station and I could solder the wheels on my car with it then with the same tip hit some 0402s.

https://youtu.be/x10hW9qvT8E

To note, every fire stick I’ve ever used is a pile of crap. I had a 200W for doing glass work with and it melted itself if you didn’t use it for more than 5 minutes. The whole idea of a non temperature controlled iron is just bad in 2018.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 08:23:08 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59, thm_w, roberts.tech

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2018, 09:02:12 pm »
I guess what you bought is similar to this? https://americanbeautytools.com/soldering-iron-3112/8/features

I think in general this kind of iron tends to run hot and will smoke flux. If it is pumping 50 W of heat into the tip all the time even when not touching the work then that 50 W has nowhere to go, so the tip will get hotter and hotter and hotter until the convective cooling in the air balances it. That means every part of the iron is potentially vulnerable to heat damage. If the iron is parked tip downwards (for example in a stand), then heat will tend to rise up towards the handle and affect any wires or connections at the handle end.

There is a place for irons like this in hobby and craft work, but probably not for electronics.

Yup....it's called THE BIN my friend  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf