Author Topic: DataBase Software for electronic parts  (Read 2256 times)

Offline HarbTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
DataBase Software for electronic parts
« on: May 25, 2018, 12:59:19 pm »
No even sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes.

I am looking for some software, preferably Mac to sort/list a parts inventory.

I have about 3000+ IC tubes full of IC's that are currently just stacked in shelves randomly......you cant begin to imagine how difficult it is to find anything....some of these chips would be quiet rare and useful but finding them is another story completely.

I would like software that I simply add the IC part number in, and add a short description, location and then it lists them numerically automatically so I don't have to get them in any order as I enter the info and it does the sorting.

I would also use this for other bulk parts as well.

This is definitely not my area of expertise.....I use chips not list them, but the problem is getting bigger and bigger !!

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
Re: DataBase Software for electronic parts
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 01:05:52 pm »
for that you can make a simple spreadsheet or database using the free libreoffice app.
it's more difficult when you have more tables that must be linked.

The following users thanked this post: Harb

Offline packetbob

• Contributor
    • zappedmyself.com
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 11:43:30 pm »
I use partbox.io (https://partsbox.io/) He has a free service for hobby users...

You basically determine some way to identify the various storage locations. I use various sized plastic storage boxes on shelves. Each box has a letter identifier for the shelf and a number for the box. So location D-12 id box number 12 on shelf D. Each box is labeled as such.

I then sorted through all my stuff (this took a long time) and stored in the various storage boxes after entering the data into partsbox.

It has many other features (like data sheet lookup, cost tracking, project parts lists) but I'm quite happy to be able to enter a part number/name/descriptor and get back a list of box locations with matching items...

And it is free.....

The following users thanked this post: Harb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 12:36:16 am »
Sounds good.....I might have a look at it  :-+

*****I did have a look and it didn't have enough space for everything I need to list unless I went for a monthly paid version******
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 12:54:25 pm by Harb »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 12:46:14 pm »
Just for the record, I ended up buying an app from the app store called "Stock Control 2"

Its very adaptable , is NOT cloud based which I like , and does everything I could want, for a one time cost of $41 AU.

I will let you know how it goes long term after I have entered a few thousand parts !

There is a free version that only does 15 listings if any Mac users want to have a look at it.

cheers
Harb
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 12:49:42 pm by Harb »

The following users thanked this post: Synthtech

Offline packetbob

• Contributor
    • zappedmyself.com
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 08:30:02 pm »
What limit did you think you would hit with the free version? ......

*****I did have a look and it didn't have enough space for everything I need to list unless I went for a monthly paid version******

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 02:44:12 am »
What limit did you think you would hit with the free version? ......

didn't really care because I was prepared to pay for it, but I didn't want monthly payments, I wanted to Pay for it outright regardless of the cost, and I def didn't want a cloud based solution.
Probably the main reason for not taking it further was the monthly subscription.......I tend to steer away from those.....call it old fashioned, but I just like to own the software and buy once cry once if you know what I mean.
It looked good though and would no doubt suit some people for sure.
The one I have got now is perfect for what I need....really happy with it.
Thanks for everyones help.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 02:53:36 am by Harb »

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 04:24:55 am »
I use partbox.io (https://partsbox.io/) He has a free service for hobby users...

You basically determine some way to identify the various storage locations. I use various sized plastic storage boxes on shelves. Each box has a letter identifier for the shelf and a number for the box. So location D-12 id box number 12 on shelf D. Each box is labeled as such.

I then sorted through all my stuff (this took a long time) and stored in the various storage boxes after entering the data into partsbox.

It has many other features (like data sheet lookup, cost tracking, project parts lists) but I'm quite happy to be able to enter a part number/name/descriptor and get back a list of box locations with matching items...

And it is free.....

This would be nice if it had BOM imports from other CADs and Barcode scanner support, at least.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf