Author Topic: Dataman-40Pro: power supply issue ?  (Read 2388 times)

Offline CRiTopic starter

Dataman-40Pro: power supply issue ?
« on: October 03, 2014, 01:08:41 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have just bought a Dataman-40Pro eprom programmer and I'm having some problems with it.

The first time I connected the programmer, everything went fine. When I disconnected it, I felt an electric shock (I was touching the case of the computer and the USB cable coming from the programmer). The second time I connected the programmer, it was dead, not recognized by Windows (USB device unknown) !

Upon further investigation, I discovered that the negative side of the power supply is floating at 85V AC above earth potential!
I measured a 85v AC potential between the ground of the usb cable coming from the Dataman and the case or usb ground on the computer side.

I ordered a second unit and the symptoms are exactly the same !
Dataman support basically told me "that's ok, it's how floating PSU work"... but I'm clearly not satisfied with this answer.

What do you think, is it defective ?
If that really is "how it's supposed to work", what can a do to prevent it to break again?

Thanks in advance !
CRi

Offline denelec

• Regular Contributor
Re: Dataman-40Pro: power supply issue ?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 08:55:30 pm »
I checked with my desktop computer and there is continuity between ground, the case and the negative (black wire) of the power supply.
That's what I expected.

But my MacBookPro has no ground connexion. And the plug is not polarized.  So it's floating.

Offline CRiTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 09:40:20 pm »
Hi denelec, thanks for checking !
My computer is a dell notebook and it is grounded...

The problem comes from the dataman PSU that is floating.

Can I safely connect the Dataman case to earth? Or am I going to encounter earth loop issues?

Offline CRiTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 12:41:21 pm »
No one has any idea about his? :-BROKE
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:08:34 pm by CRi »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf