Author Topic: Quality crimpers /dies for "dupont" connector systems. Die interchangeability?  (Read 3799 times)

Offline FrankETopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I've an immediate need for a set of ratchet crimpers for dupont connectors, only I can't find an commercial quality ones. Those ebay ones are awful, results are not repeatable apart from being variably poor..
I can't find dies for any of my DMC crimpers and my several other pairs of ratchet crimpers don't really have interchangeable dies. My carry case is too heavy with all the crimpers I have.

So I'm looking at a getting a new pair  of crimpers (or two) with interchangeable dies. TE / Pressmaster / Knipex / Weidmuller Do any of these have dupont/ molex dies available?

I've been offered a pair of TE Connectivity Pro-Crimper III at a good price. £70 list price is decent enough but look at the prices of dies! Upwards of £100 for all but one (130USD)!

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp-tools/0849114/

What's the benefit of the angled business end of the TE Connectivity Pro-Crimper III and similar designs? Does that configuration reduce fatigue? That's quite important  to me. If so anything similare for brands with a wide range of cheaper dies?

Are any of the dies from any of the quality brands interchangeable with other brands?

What even are those molx / dupont connectors called as everyone I know knows them by their colloqial name molex or dupont

The following users thanked this post: arvidj

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
Interested
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

The following users thanked this post: FrankE

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
I've an immediate need for a set of ratchet crimpers for dupont connectors, only I can't find an commercial quality ones. Those ebay ones are awful, results are not repeatable apart from being variably poor..
I can't find dies for any of my DMC crimpers and my several other pairs of ratchet crimpers don't really have interchangeable dies. My carry case is too heavy with all the crimpers I have.

So I'm looking at a getting a new pair  of crimpers (or two) with interchangeable dies. TE / Pressmaster / Knipex / Weidmuller Do any of these have dupont/ molex dies available?

I've been offered a pair of TE Connectivity Pro-Crimper III at a good price. £70 list price is decent enough but look at the prices of dies! Upwards of £100 for all but one (130USD)!

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp-tools/0849114/

What's the benefit of the angled business end of the TE Connectivity Pro-Crimper III and similar designs? Does that configuration reduce fatigue? That's quite important  to me. If so anything similare for brands with a wide range of cheaper dies?

Are any of the dies from any of the quality brands interchangeable with other brands?

What even are those molx / dupont connectors called as everyone I know knows them by their colloqial name molex or dupont
FWIW, I own a mix of crimping tools from AMP/Tyco, DMC, Panduit/Wezag, Engineer, and a Pressmaster MCT with multiple dies (insulated, non-insulated, 2.5"/6.3mm open barrel, .187"/4.8mm open barrel, and .110"/2.8mm open barrel).

Now the Pressmaster does a decent job on Molex open-barrel IME as a general rule IME. Unfortunately, the 4300-3150 die which is made for .110"/2.8mm terminals, doesn't crimp the insulation on Dupont terminals properly (wire side is OK). See here for terminal photos (thank Lomax).  ;)

FWIW, I find my Amp 58448-2 does a better job (specifically made for TE/Tyco/AMP D sub terminals). Adhesive heat shrink dresses them up well IMHO. Found one for a decent price in the UK (here). It's from the US, but seems a very decent price (new, it goes for ~$247 in the US on Newark/Farnell).

Of course, decent (well made) terminals make a world of difference. At a price of course, but it's worth it to me due to far fewer problems & aggravation.

Regarding Dupont type terminals, I'd recommend taking a look at JST's RE & RF terminals. You'd even get proper results on these with an Engineer PA-09 as well (well made). It's not ratcheting, and you have to crimp the wire & insulation separately. But they're better for variances between terminal brands IMHO (particularly on the no-name stuff from Asia). They do make a ratcheting model, but I don't know the correct die set you'd need. :-//

As per the angle, some people find it more ergonomic in repetitive work. One to a few terminals however, it's not an issue IME.

Offline arvidj

• Contributor
I have used this one ... http://www.hansenhobbies.com/products/connectors/tools/crimp_dx/ and been quite satisfied.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf