Author Topic: Dear Metcal senpai, please help me accesorize a MX-5000  (Read 3124 times)

Offline DC1MCTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Dear Metcal senpai, please help me accesorize a MX-5000
« on: March 28, 2018, 08:20:21 pm »
If the DHL will not screw it (again) I'll be the proud owner of an MX-5000, as delivered it comes with a MX-H1-AV handpiece and a (most likely semi-useless) tip STTC-536, along with a tool holder that I don't know yet the series, but probably not the most cool one. Also, I have some concrete models on the bottom of the message, please tell me if they are compatible with or useful for the MX5000.

So it's clear that some cash will need to be burned, so kindly recommend me the following accessories, plus what you consider useful for a METCAL soldering point:

- The best compatible hand-tool, to cover the the other input and spread the load of the handpieces (use them in turn depending on task). Eventually some more power oriented.
- A set of must have tips, with an accent on trough-hole and hoof type wave solder, both lead free and leaded variants.
- Is it possible to use a Metcal desoldering tool with the MX-5000 base, and if so which one and what else needs to be added (small compressor ?) ?
- Any improvements, weak point removal or useful mods to be done on the base station ?
- Schematics of the base station ?
- A tool holder with stand-by function, are those magnetic tool holders compatible, useful, or what should be done to have a nice standby holder with this base ?
- Is this station capable of using a pinzette desoldering tool for SMD, if yes, what model ?
- What other recommendations do you have, sponge, metallic or classic, tips and handle recommended maintenance and so on...
- WHERE CAN I BUY ALL THE STUFF ABOVE IN DE/EU AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE, THIS STUFF IS BLOODY EXPENSIVE AND I'M NOT RICH, compatible models, shameless rip-offs and clones are welcome, as long as they don't destroy anything and you have experience with the recommended model !!!
I have shouted to show how important is cheap, DE/EU delivery and did I mention that is shouldn't cost too much  ;) ?

-----
Actual things that I found:

MFR-H2-ST2 handpiece, 50EUR, is it compatible with MX5000, worth the money ?
STTC-036 tip, 15EUR, worth having, price is good ?

To anybody that had the patience to read to the end and offer some advice, many thanks. For the others, sorry for the wall of text.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

• Super Contributor
Re: Dear Metcal senpai, please help me accesorize a MX-5000
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 08:34:43 pm »
Thanks for advice, please keep them coming...

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 11:24:12 pm »
Yes you can use the MX-DS1 desoldering gun with the MX-5000 power supply. You need compressed air at 60 to 80 PSI. The flow rate needed is low, so a small airbrush compressor might even work if you don't want a "real" one. You must not exceed 90 PSI so you will need a compressor with a built-in regulator or add one of your own. The MX-DS1 is a truly fantastic desoldering tool. Besides the amazing thermal response you'd expect, you also get powerful instantaeous vacuum from the air-powered venturi.

The following users thanked this post: DC1MC

Offline Gilbertnut

• sbo
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 04:48:52 am »
I agree with you should be added. I'm waiting for it

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 06:17:13 am »
Thanks for the desoldering tool tip :), added to the wish list.
@Gilbertnut: Could you share where did you get yours and for how much ?

Also @everybody, please share your everyday tip selection and help a Metcal newbie navigate the sea of options  ^-^

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline RobBarter

• Regular Contributor
    • Bedrock Systems Ltd
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 11:21:08 am »
Being a seasoned Metcal user...bought my first one 7 days ago  ::) .... I bought these tips:-
STTC-126 TIP, BENT SHARP, 0.4MM
STTC-101 SOLDERING TIP, CONICAL & SHARP, 1MM
STTC-125 CHISEL TIP, 30DEG, 0.8MM
STTC-136 CHISEL TIP, 30DEG, 2.4MM
STTC-138 CHISEL TIP, 30DEG, 1.2MM

Been soldering RG402 N-types since it arrived and the 2.4mm is perfect.
minimal sig so a single msg doesn't take up the entire page!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 12:55:00 pm »
Being a seasoned Metcal user...bought my first one 7 days ago  ::) .... I bought these tips:-
STTC-126 TIP, BENT SHARP, 0.4MM
STTC-101 SOLDERING TIP, CONICAL & SHARP, 1MM
STTC-125 CHISEL TIP, 30DEG, 0.8MM
STTC-136 CHISEL TIP, 30DEG, 2.4MM
STTC-138 CHISEL TIP, 30DEG, 1.2MM

Been soldering RG402 N-types since it arrived and the 2.4mm is perfect.

Source/prices :) ?

Offline RobBarter

• Regular Contributor
    • Bedrock Systems Ltd
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 01:00:16 pm »
All from Farnell UK - £18.68 for each tip
minimal sig so a single msg doesn't take up the entire page!

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 02:39:27 pm »
MX-DS1 is a truly fantastic desoldering tool

+1, pay attention if you use it once you will never go back again.

For the air compressor, I got a used dentist one for 150€ on Ebay (oil free so I can use it to clean circuit boards) and squeezed a pressure reg. at the end.
I got on Ebay a very cheap set of "not working/sold as is" MX-DS1 tips: after cleaning them I got 80% of them back to life, most of them were just clogged.
I think they were coming from a rework lab, the stupid users never clean them after use so after failing they throw them away. I imagine a drawer full of new tips so who care to clean them....

I have all the Metal MX-5x00 system in my lab. It's hard to tell you what you need but right now I can finally say all my soldering dreams become true:

- MX-5000
- MX-5200
- two MX-H1-AV
- MX-DS1
- MX-PTZ

I sold the MX-H2-UF and got another MX-H1-AV, it was too small for me.

it all depends on what you do solder. In general a MX-H1-AV with one big and one fine tips togheter with a MX-DS1 (you need an air compressor) is a very good start. The rest depends on what you do.

- Any improvements, weak point removal or useful mods to be done on the base station ?
- Schematics of the base station ?

it's hard to improve something which is already perfect for many customers.
Schematics would be nice but I never needed them. 

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:23:29 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 05:41:10 pm »
OK, found in the old thread recommended by @zucca, regarding Thermaltronics - Metcal compatibility, worth repeating here:

The color on the tips is the temp range
Blue - 325°C - 358°C
Yellow - 350°C - 398°C
Red - 420°C - 475°C

As for which series of tips
P - work with MFR-PS1100, MFR-PS2200, MFR-PS1K, MFR-PS2K
S - SP200, MFR-PS1100, MFR-PS2200 (SSC Tips)
M - MX-500, MX-5000, MX-5200
K - The K series only works on the Thermaltronics systems.

Now, any compatible desoldering gun around ;) ?

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 11:32:48 pm »
The Thermaltronics desoldering gun is quite rare while you can find the Metcal version on EBay.
The correct part number to look for is MX-UK5 which is the whole kit (MX-DS1 is just the gun, not useful by itself). I got mine new-old-stock for $211 with 3 cartridges a couple of years ago on EBay.

You do need a compressor, which is a pain.
There are a couple of threads on the topic.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/pressure-(and-compressor)-for-metcal-desoldering-gun/

You can use a cheap paintbrush compressor, but you won't get to the specced 80psi. If noise is not an issue, any big oil-less garage compressor will do. If you like quiet, you'll want an oil-lubricated Silentaire (Italy), Bambi (UK) or Jun-air (Denmark), but they'll cost you.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 11:39:02 pm »
I should add that for cartridges, you can get really good deals on EBay. The Metcal system is so common in production/manufacturing that EBay is flooded with new-old-stock, barely used, remanufactured (or worn-out) cartridges.

You'll also find a lot of threads on EEVblog arguing about whether to use 0/6-series (675F) or 1/7-series (775F) cartridges. I have sets of both and, since I use leaded solder most often, I find the 0-series better at not flash-boiling some types of flux. If you're doing most lead-free, then the 1-series is probably what you want.

Offline TD-Linux

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 01:24:03 am »
You can use a cheap paintbrush compressor, but you won't get to the specced 80psi. If noise is not an issue, any big oil-less garage compressor will do. If you like quiet, you'll want an oil-lubricated Silentaire (Italy), Bambi (UK) or Jun-air (Denmark), but they'll cost you.

I use a Silentaire with my DS-1 and it's great, though it is possible to outrun it if you're doing a 200 pin connector.

The tips do clog easily, but they are pretty easily cleaned. The worst clogs I fix with a 1/32" drill bit. I think this is true for pretty much any desoldering gun.

That said, I mainly have the air compressor for airbrushing - the DS-1 is nice, but its huge thermal mass means it's not really at much of an advantage compared to e.g. Hakko desoldering stations with integrated vacuum pumps.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 01:46:03 am »
I use a Silentaire with my DS-1 and it's great, though it is possible to outrun it if you're doing a 200 pin connector.

After being mostly on CO2, I just went through a few different Silentaire models this week and found the 1/5hp models (like the otherwise excellent and classic 20A) to have too slow a recovery for sustained use of the DS-1. I ended up with a 1/2hp model (a bit noisier at 40dB, but still pretty quiet) and that seems to be just about ideal.

Now I hope to be finally done with the solder suckers and use the DS-1 exclusively.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf