Author Topic: Desk/Lab lighting tips?  (Read 48508 times)

Offline jahonen

• Super Contributor
Re: Desk/Lab lighting tips?
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2013, 10:35:23 am »
Higher color temperatures generally require more light to look good, see Kruithof curve. That said, I have 8000K Osram skywhites in my lab :). They look bluish compared to lower color temperatures but are quite comfortable to work with as long you have enough light.

Regards,
Janne
Oh dear. How much were those?

I did order them from any-lamp.com (or actually from lamppuexpress.com which is Finnish version of any-lamp.com):

http://www.any-lamp.com/osram-t8-l-58w-880-lumilux-skywhite-g13/ or http://www.any-lamp.com/osram-t8-l-18w-880-lumilux-skywhite-g13/

Regards,
Janne

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2013, 10:42:28 am »

For close up work I have a magnifier with a fluorescent ring lamp about the same color temp. 

This is what I use, at this point it's the only real lighting I have over my desk. I do have a plan to add some lighting above my desk along with some shelving for more equipment and storage of some often used components.

+1 for mag lens with light ring of some sort.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2013, 11:37:24 am »
Be careful with cold light if you often spend time in you lab in the evening.

Cold light (blue-enriched light) greatly suppresses the human bodys production of melatonin and hence affects your sleep if you're exposed to blue-enriched light in the hours before going to sleep.

Recent studies by Centre for Chronobiology at Psychiatric Hospital of the University of Basel, Switzerland among others has shown negative effects on human sleep by exposure to blue-enriched light in the evening. But might also be contributing to a host of diseases.
http://www.chronobiology.ch

Article in New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/05/health/05light.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
In Eyes, a Clock Calibrated by Wavelengths of Light
By LAURA BEIL
Published: July 4, 2011

Just as the ear has two purposes — hearing and telling you which way is up — so does the eye. It receives the input necessary for vision, but the retina also houses a network of sensors that detect the rise and fall of daylight. With light, the body sets its internal clock to a 24-hour cycle regulating an estimated 10 percent of our genes.

The workhorse of this system is the light-sensitive hormone melatonin, which is produced by the body every evening and during the night. Melatonin promotes sleep and alerts a variety of biological processes to the approximate hour of the day.

Light hitting the retina suppresses the production of melatonin — and there lies the rub. In this modern world, our eyes are flooded with light well after dusk, contrary to our evolutionary programming. Scientists are just beginning to understand the potential health consequences. The disruption of circadian cycles may not just be shortchanging our sleep, they have found, but also contributing to a host of diseases.

“Light works as if it’s a drug, except it’s not a drug at all,” said George Brainard, a neurologist at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia and one of the first researchers to study light’s effects on the body’s hormones and circadian rhythms.

Any sort of light can suppress melatonin, but recent experiments have raised novel questions about one type in particular: the blue wavelengths produced by many kinds of energy-efficient light bulbs and electronic gadgets.

Dr. Brainard and other researchers have found that light composed of blue wavelengths slows the release of melatonin with particular effectiveness. Until recently, though, few studies had directly examined how blue-emitting electronics might affect the brain.

So scientists at the University of Basel in Switzerland tried a simple experiment: They asked 13 men to sit before a computer each evening for two weeks before going to bed.

During one week, for five hours every night, the volunteers sat before an old-style fluorescent monitor emitting light composed of several colors from the visible spectrum, though very little blue. Another week, the men sat at screens backlighted by light-emitting diodes, or LEDs. This screen was twice as blue.

“To our surprise, we saw huge differences,” said Christian Cajochen, who heads the Center for Chronobiology at the University of Basel. Melatonin levels in volunteers watching the LED screens took longer to rise at night, compared with when the participants were watching the fluorescent screens, and the deficit persisted throughout the evening.

The subjects also scored higher on tests of memory and cognition after exposure to blue light, Dr. Cajochen and his team reported in the May issue of The Journal of Applied Physiology. While men were able to recall pairs of words flashed across the fluorescent screen about half the time, some scores rose to almost 70 percent when they stared at the LED monitors.

The finding adds to a series of others suggesting, though certainly not proving, that exposure to blue light may keep us more awake and alert, partly by suppressing production of melatonin. An LED screen bright enough and big enough “could be giving you an alert stimulus at a time that will frustrate your body’s ability to go to sleep later,” said Dr. Brainard. “When you turn it off, it doesn’t mean that instantly the alerting effects go away. There’s an underlying biology that’s stimulated.”

Still, nobody is suggesting that we all turn off the lights at dusk and sit in the dark; research into this area is in its infancy. “We are only beginning to understand what really happens under natural conditions,” said Mark Rea of the Lighting Research Center at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York.

Artificial light has been around for more than 120 years. But the light emitted by older sources, like incandescent bulbs, contains more red wavelengths. The problem now, Dr. Brainard and other researchers fear, is that our world is increasingly illuminated in blue. By one estimate, 1.6 billion new computers, televisions and cellphones were sold last year alone, and incandescent lights are being replaced by more energy-efficient, and often bluer, bulbs.

In January in the journal PLoS One, the University of Basel team also compared the effects of incandescent bulbs to fluorescents modified to emit more blue light. Men exposed to the fluorescent lights produced 40 percent less melatonin than when they were exposed to incandescent bulbs, and they reported feeling more awake an hour after the lights went off.

In addition, the quantity of light necessary to affect melatonin may be much smaller than once thought. In research published in March in The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, a team at the Harvard Medical School reported that ordinary indoor lighting before bedtime suppressed melatonin in the brain, even delaying production of the hormone for 90 minutes after the lights were off, compared with people exposed to only dim light.

What do these findings mean to everyday life? Some experts believe that any kind of light too late into the evening could have broad health effects, independent of any effect on sleep. For example, a report published last year in the journal PNAS found that mice exposed to light at night gained more weight than those housed in normal light, even though both groups consumed the same number of calories.

Light at night has been examined as a contributor to breast cancer for two decades. While there is still no consensus, enough laboratory and epidemiological studies have supported the idea that in 2007, the World Health Organization declared shift work a probable carcinogen. Body clock disruptions “can alter sleep-activity patterns, suppress melatonin production and disregulate genes involved in tumor development,” the agency concluded.

Blue light’s effects might be particularly pronounced for shift workers and others who get little natural daylight, some researchers say. Consider one small trial that appears the June issue of The Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. Among 28 elderly nursing home residents, those exposed to just 30 minutes of blue light on weekdays for four weeks showed improvement in cognitive abilities, compared with patients exposed only to red.

Researchers like Dr. Brainard hope the science may lead to a new generation of lights and screens designed with wavelengths that adjust according to the hour of the day.

Among those interested are officials at NASA, who have approached the neurologist about designing light on the International Space Station in a way that promotes alertness during waking hours and encourages sleep during times of rest.

“I think we’re on the verge of a lighting revolution,” said Dr. Brainard. If the hormone-sparing lights can be made to work during spaceflight, he said, “people will use it here on the ground.”

A version of this article appeared in print on July 5, 2011, on page D5 of the New York edition with the headline: In Eyes, a Clock Calibrated by Wavelengths of Light.

Acute exposure to evening blue-enriched light impacts on human sleep http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jsr.12050/abstract
Summary
Light in the short wavelength range (blue light: 446–483 nm) elicits direct effects on human melatonin secretion, alertness and cognitive performance via non-image-forming photoreceptors. However, the impact of blue-enriched polychromatic light on human sleep architecture and sleep electroencephalographic activity remains fairly unknown. In this study we investigated sleep structure and sleep electroencephalographic characteristics of 30 healthy young participants (16 men, 14 women; age range 20–31 years) following 2 h of evening light exposure to polychromatic light at 6500 K, 2500 K and 3000 K. Sleep structure across the first three non-rapid eye movement non-rapid eye movement – rapid eye movement sleep cycles did not differ significantly with respect to the light conditions. All-night non-rapid eye movement sleep electroencephalographic power density indicated that exposure to light at 6500 K resulted in a tendency for less frontal non-rapid eye movement electroencephalographic power density, compared to light at 2500 K and 3000 K. The dynamics of non-rapid eye movement electroencephalographic slow wave activity (2.0–4.0 Hz), a functional index of homeostatic sleep pressure, were such that slow wave activity was reduced significantly during the first sleep cycle after light at 6500 K compared to light at 2500 K and 3000 K, particularly in the frontal derivation. Our data suggest that exposure to blue-enriched polychromatic light at relatively low room light levels impacts upon homeostatic sleep regulation, as indexed by reduction in frontal slow wave activity during the first non-rapid eye movement episode.

Quote from the NY Times article:
Researchers like Dr. Brainard hope the science may lead to a new generation of lights and screens designed with wavelengths that adjust according to the hour of the day.
f.lux is a freeware computer program based on this idea. It runs in the background and automatically adjusts the screen color temperature according to time of the day and your location. It's available for both Windows, Mac, Linux and iOS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.lux
http://justgetflux.com

I've been running f.lux on my laptop for a couple of years. It's a bit weird in the beginning as white backgrounds turns more red during the evening, but you soon get used to it and the transitions happens slowly so you don't notice sudden changes when sitting in front of the screen.
Activating f.lux while doing color sensitive work like graphics and photo/video editing is probably not a good idea. But you can turn it of temporarily. But for most internet browsing, office work, PCB design etc. it's fine.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:44:08 am by AndersAnd »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2013, 01:28:29 pm »
I just downloaded f.lux.  Andsrsand, you got me curious enough to try it.  I will give my impressions tomorrow as I use my computer throughout the day and evening.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2013, 01:51:30 pm »
I just downloaded f.lux.  Andsrsand, you got me curious enough to try it.  I will give my impressions tomorrow as I use my computer throughout the day and evening.
Notice there's two settings settings for transition speed: Fast (20 seconds) and slow (60 minutes).
I much prefer the slow 1 hour setting, otherwise you will get a sudden color temperature change, which you will really notice and I find this sudden change unpleasant. Not sure why there's even this option, 60 minutes works just fine.

I have set it to 6500 K (daylight) at day and 3400 K (halogen) at night, but settings can easily be changed.

Also remember to set your location correctly so it knows when the sun rises at sets where you are.

It might take longer than a day to get used to f.lux running, especially on white backgrounds that you often see in e.g. office programs and internet forums like this one. They aren't true bright white at night but turn a bit more red and the light output seems much lower at night than during the day. It's easy to tell the difference when you manually turn it on and off.

I just noticed under "extras" that f.lux can also be used to control Philips Hue lights and Philips Color Kinetics IntelliWhite fixtures, but I don't have any of those. But I like the idea of changing the color temperature of the lighting as well as the computer / tablet screens.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 02:03:38 pm by AndersAnd »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2013, 06:37:07 pm »
Thanks for letting me know about the time.  I just would have gone with the default settings.  I will give it a few days to see how it goes.  The first thing I did do was set the location.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2013, 03:10:21 am »
AndersAnd, I really like f.lux.  I like it enough that I am going to install it on my laptop also.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2013, 05:47:33 am »
AndersAnd, I really like f.lux.  I like it enough that I am going to install it on my laptop also.  Thanks for pointing it out.
Me too.  I've installed it yesterday.. it's quite an interesting color change from morning to night, but I admit that I like the warming up at night and when working late.

Thanks for the pointer.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2013, 09:12:28 am »
If you get a magnification lamp, just be careful where you mount it in relation to the window and sun.

There have been cases of the sun setting fire to things on peoples desks when it gets into the right position.

Some brands have a flipout cover to prevent this.

Offline Joule Thief

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2013, 09:44:19 am »
If you get a magnification lamp, just be careful where you mount it in relation to the window and sun.

and your ant farm too!    :scared:
Perturb and observe.

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2013, 10:48:48 am »
I looked at LED T8 tubes that would fit my light fixture.  The problem is that they are typically around 1900 Lumens or less.  My bulbs in the fixture now are rated at 3150 Lumens.  That and the cost difference, as Dave would say, fail!  waa waa waa waaaaaaaaa!  I could scrimp and save to replace them if the Lumens rating were a lot closer.

It is closer if you have non-deal reflective troffs, as I measured in a recent video. My lab is now entirely LED lit.

I have been looking at running some LED lighting, are yours directly driven or any form of PWM, I am susceptible to migraine and any flickering sets me off.
I am stuck with CCFL monitors.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2013, 11:28:06 am »
i'm no expert at the medical side of migraine induced by flashing lights but im pretty sure that only happens when the pulse rate is slow enough for the brain to sense it at some level.

Above 100Hz most people cannot consciously observe flicker so LCD monitor backlight pwm tends to be in the 100-120Hz.
But you can PWM LEDs at pretty much any frequency you want.  1000Hz is a good target but you could do 10,000Hz if needed. Its less efficient because your swiching transistor spends more time in a transitional state between on and off which is where heat is generated.

I would be extremely surprised if 1khz PWM caused any sort of migraine
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 11:03:38 am by Psi »

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2013, 11:48:17 am »
I have been looking at running some LED lighting, are yours directly driven or any form of PWM, I am susceptible to migraine and any flickering sets me off.
Have you tried one of the newer flicker free LED backlit monitors?
Eizo and BenQ both make a range of flicker free LED monitors.

The Latest on Computer Screens and Eye Fatigue http://www.eizo.com/global/library/basics/eyestrain/index.html
LED backlight causes eye fatigue?

Since the popularization of LED backlights, the number of people who report eye fatigue caused by flicker has increased. Some people perceive the high speed at which the LED backlight flashes as flicker. Of course, even those who cannot perceive flicker may also be affected by it without realizing it.

How does flicker work?

Dimming (brightness control), is separated into 2 categories: PWM (pulse-width modulation) and DC (direct current).

LED monitors often use PWM. The design is simple and easy to mass produce.

Does flicker really cause eye fatigue?

We conducted an experiment to find out how users felt about viewing variable light.

Source: Kitasato University (Japan), School of Allied Health Sciences (n=10)

Did you perceive flicker?

Did you feel eye fatigue?

Lastly, which was the easiest to view?

At EIZO…

We have developed a hybrid model that combines the pros of PWM and DC dimming.

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/flexscan/ecoview_microsite/easy_on_the_eyes/index.html
Flicker-Free Images

Due to the way brightness is controlled on LED backlights, a small number of people perceive flicker on their screen which causes eye fatigue. The FlexScan EV series utilizes a hybrid solution to regulate brightness and make flicker unperceivable without any drawbacks like compromising color stability.? Availability varies by model.

Lower Blue Light Reduces Eye Fatigue

In the visible light spectrum, blue light has wavelengths adjacent to ultraviolet light. Compared to the factory preset setting of 6,500 K of typical LCD monitors, Paper Mode is closer to the spectral distribution with long reddish wavelengths so it reduces the amount of blue light, a cause of eye fatigue, and helps prevent eyestrain when reading documents. Availability varies by model.

http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/bl2710pt/
BenQ BL2710 World's First Custom-built CAD/CAM Monitor

BenQ BL2710, the first tailored CAD/CAM monitor is the ultimate solution carefully designed to meet all demands of every professional working with PTC, SolidWorks, AutoCAD, Maya or other CAD/CAM software.

Flicker-free

The Flicker-free technology eliminates flickering at all brightness levels and effectively reducing eye fatigue. Conventional LCD screens flicks 200 times per second. Your eyes may not see flickers, but they can certainly feel them. Free your eyes from flickers by switch to CAD/ CAM Monitors and let your eyes do less work while you are working on CAD/ CAM designs.

BenQ currently has 16 ”flicker-free” monitors on the market [Danish article from December 10]: http://www.flatpanels.dk/nyhed.php?subaction=showfull&id=1386661177
Business:
GL2450HT 24” / Full HD
BL912 19“ / 1280x1024
BL2211M 22” / 1680x1050
BL2211TM 22” / 1680x1050
BL2405HT 24” / 1920x1080
BL2411PT 24” / 1920x1080
BL2710PT 27” / 2560x1440

Standard:
GL2023A 19,5” / 1600x900
GW2265M 21,5” / 1920x1080
VW2235H 21,5” / 1920x1080
GW2320 23“ / 1920x1080
GW2760HM 27” / 1920x1080
GW2760HS 27” / 1920x1080
EW2740L 27“ / 1920x1080

Gaming:
XL2411T 24” / 1920x1080
XL2420T 24” / 1920x1080
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:01:56 pm by AndersAnd »

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2013, 12:04:10 pm »
LOL @ 80% of people saying they saw "a little" flickering in a DC driven led display.

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2013, 12:12:15 pm »
LOL @ 80% of people saying they saw "a little" flickering in a DC driven led display.
The LCD panels themselves still have a screen refresh rate (typically 60 Hz) even if the backlight is DC driven. So it not unlikely they still see some flickering. The DC driven backlight is just not contributing to it.

Notice they only made the test with 10 persons, so the percentages might not be very accurate.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:21:39 pm by AndersAnd »

Offline Dawn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2013, 12:29:21 pm »
I thought I'd jump in with an observation on chronobiological effects of "blue light" that's been in the press recently. I'm taking a leap here as I have no idea what the spectral distribution of old B&W crt's were, but the general perception was bluish. For those of you that grew up in that era, that familliar blue glow in an otherwise dark house was televison being watched in the evening, usually in the dark. That was also a time when there were no warnings about being too close to a TV set as children were wont to do and a familliar posture in the evening until color TV sets came out and the hysteria about "radiation" from the high acceleration voltages found in larger color TV's. In the 50's and 60's, it was typical for most families to essentially use tv in the evenings to zone out and most parents wound up carrying asleep kids from the living room to their beds. Same thing with the adults, especially men fire-staring into the box and nodding off. TV was sort of the general tranquilizer of it's time. That was pretty intense blue light by my recollection and a white wall would have the appearance of a UV sterilization light source by today's comparision. Just a thought. It didn't seem to be causing problems with sleep cycles when the average bedtime for children was around 8-9pm in the states, unlike nowadays where a primary school kid often stays up past 10pm between changing attitudes about kid's bedtime and homework loads that kids never had before that often occupy them all night unlike 40-50 years ago.

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2013, 02:29:40 pm »
Wow thanks for that information :)

I am getting constant headaches and 24/7 vertigo which worsens by certain factors, I have had 4 MRI's, Lumbar punctures etc, they don't really know what's going on but some things trigger it like mad, such as LED monitors, Macbooks (tried a few and could not use them), they all seem to be okay at full brightness but it's as soon as I dim them I can see the flicker and get intense headaches, which is obviously due to the duty cycle of switching the LED's, this other technology looks interesting.

Some shop lighting drives me mad, I can't shop in Tesco due to their lighting, incandescent lighting is fine even if driven by PWM, but due to the nature of those lamps you would probably never see the flicker as they will glow between stages, where as an LED is instantaneous.

I have a Ducky mechanical keyboard, but cannot use the backlighting as the flickering is obvious, years ago I couldn't use a PC with the refresh rate on a CRT @50/60hz, would drive me nuts.

Have you tried one of the newer flicker free LED backlit monitors?
Eizo and BenQ both make a range of flicker free LED monitors.

The Latest on Computer Screens and Eye Fatigue http://www.eizo.com/global/library/basics/eyestrain/index.html
LED backlight causes eye fatigue?

Since the popularization of LED backlights, the number of people who report eye fatigue caused by flicker has increased. Some people perceive the high speed at which the LED backlight flashes as flicker. Of course, even those who cannot perceive flicker may also be affected by it without realizing it.

How does flicker work?

Dimming (brightness control), is separated into 2 categories: PWM (pulse-width modulation) and DC (direct current).

LED monitors often use PWM. The design is simple and easy to mass produce.

Does flicker really cause eye fatigue?

We conducted an experiment to find out how users felt about viewing variable light.

Source: Kitasato University (Japan), School of Allied Health Sciences (n=10)

Did you perceive flicker?

Did you feel eye fatigue?

Lastly, which was the easiest to view?

At EIZO…

We have developed a hybrid model that combines the pros of PWM and DC dimming.

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/flexscan/ecoview_microsite/easy_on_the_eyes/index.html
Flicker-Free Images

Due to the way brightness is controlled on LED backlights, a small number of people perceive flicker on their screen which causes eye fatigue. The FlexScan EV series utilizes a hybrid solution to regulate brightness and make flicker unperceivable without any drawbacks like compromising color stability.? Availability varies by model.

Lower Blue Light Reduces Eye Fatigue

In the visible light spectrum, blue light has wavelengths adjacent to ultraviolet light. Compared to the factory preset setting of 6,500 K of typical LCD monitors, Paper Mode is closer to the spectral distribution with long reddish wavelengths so it reduces the amount of blue light, a cause of eye fatigue, and helps prevent eyestrain when reading documents. Availability varies by model.

http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/bl2710pt/
BenQ BL2710 World's First Custom-built CAD/CAM Monitor

BenQ BL2710, the first tailored CAD/CAM monitor is the ultimate solution carefully designed to meet all demands of every professional working with PTC, SolidWorks, AutoCAD, Maya or other CAD/CAM software.

Flicker-free

The Flicker-free technology eliminates flickering at all brightness levels and effectively reducing eye fatigue. Conventional LCD screens flicks 200 times per second. Your eyes may not see flickers, but they can certainly feel them. Free your eyes from flickers by switch to CAD/ CAM Monitors and let your eyes do less work while you are working on CAD/ CAM designs.

BenQ currently has 16 ”flicker-free” monitors on the market [Danish article from December 10]: http://www.flatpanels.dk/nyhed.php?subaction=showfull&id=1386661177
Business:
GL2450HT 24” / Full HD
BL912 19“ / 1280x1024
BL2211M 22” / 1680x1050
BL2211TM 22” / 1680x1050
BL2405HT 24” / 1920x1080
BL2411PT 24” / 1920x1080
BL2710PT 27” / 2560x1440

Standard:
GL2023A 19,5” / 1600x900
GW2265M 21,5” / 1920x1080
VW2235H 21,5” / 1920x1080
GW2320 23“ / 1920x1080
GW2760HM 27” / 1920x1080
GW2760HS 27” / 1920x1080
EW2740L 27“ / 1920x1080

Gaming:
XL2411T 24” / 1920x1080
XL2420T 24” / 1920x1080

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2013, 02:50:41 pm »
Also check out this:

Flicker Free Monitor Database http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/flicker_free_database.htm

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2013, 08:22:13 pm »
The LCD panels themselves still have a screen refresh rate (typically 60 Hz) even if the backlight is DC driven. So it not unlikely they still see some flickering. The DC driven backlight is just not contributing to it.

Notice they only made the test with 10 persons, so the percentages might not be very accurate.

true, but a display flickering due to it displaying some flickering pixel data is hardly the monitors fault. Testing for monitor flicker should be done with a static image or the results are meaningless.

yeah i did wonder if the sample size was small. All the percentages were suspicoulsly whole numbers and ther was many zero percents

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2013, 01:28:35 am »
I'm also LOL @ the gamers (not from that study) that say in some other forums that "they bought the HP monitor over the ASUS monitor because it has 2us input lag (propogation delay) and the ASUS has a whole 2 frames of lag (> 30us @ 60FPS games)

Good thing he bought that one... otherwise the opponent on the other side of the world 100ms away might shoot first in that 2us window.

With the ASUS, he'd surely die more, but at least he'd have the monitor to blame.

:palm:

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2013, 11:55:06 am »
f.lux - cool program.  Doesn't seem to support dual monitors.   |O

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2013, 02:54:47 pm »
f.lux - cool program.  Doesn't seem to support dual monitors.   |O

aww, what?  dammit.

Offline enz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2013, 03:46:39 pm »
For me it works with dual monitors without problems.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2013, 04:31:04 pm »
I'm using a dual head graphics card.  What are you running?

Offline KuchateK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2013, 02:00:42 am »
I can recommend Ikea JANSJÖ flexible led work lamps.
I've spent some time lighting my workbench with these and IMHO they are the worst lights I had. Not very bright. It is single point source which means big contrast. A lot of bright reflections and sharp dark shadows. For electronics it is painfully bad.

I've used fluorescent lights before, so I knew what to look for. Unfortunately I didn't have good way of mounting traditional fixture so after a little bit of searching I've found this:
http://us.daylightcompany.com/product/daylight-triple-bright-lamp-32500/
http://www.amazon.com/Daylight-U32500-Triple-Bright-Lamp/dp/B0052OT64K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387588726&sr=8-1

That was great upgrade. Large area light with even distribution on the work area. Uses three 14W T5 (21", 525mm) tubes. More spec at the link above.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf