Author Topic: desktop work light questions  (Read 1436 times)

Offline tkuhmoneTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
desktop work light questions
« on: March 18, 2017, 09:51:38 pm »
For the SMD soldering practice, I already noticed that few challenges will come with my eyeglasses (and the current status of non-perfect vision). The ones I own near distance work (+3) do currently work best under 1m distance. The best sharpness is on the lower section on glasses (for distances less than 0.3m). It is not enough to move my eye, also need to turn head. For the long term solution with SMD solder practise / SMD stuff - I do need to get some solution for the home use also (in parallel to that, I will teste the stereo microscope at local ham radio club).

For the magnifying work light (with adjustable arm), many of those have traditional big glass (or plastic) lens. I do not have here one to test - so I ask do they offer sharp wiew overall the lens area or is it needed to put the point where you work on SMD - to the center of your magnifying lens ?

Also, is there any similar work light offered in fresnel lens ? Just wondering if that type of lens offer better views on wider area ? I can see with google, that there is some desktop stands (with a fresnel lens) what you put on table. And there is some space below that - I am not fully sure if that is very usable on PCB soldering, ie does the PCB plus solder tools fit properly under that?

One solution might be to check if suitable headband magnifying lenses exist...
Timo, OH7HMS

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: desktop work light questions
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 11:00:22 am »
Best is to get a set of reading glasses, preferably slightly stronger than you really need, and keep them at the workbench. Use when you work there, and you will find it a lot easier. My optician told me this, rather than changing my stable script, just to buy cheap readers for close up work. Plus is the shop typically has a simple reading chart at eye level so you can try the glasses out till you find a suitable value then choose a style you like.

The following users thanked this post: sotos

Offline tkuhmoneTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: desktop work light questions
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 01:35:56 pm »
Renewing reading glasses is one option. I still would need them (propably in a near future) even without SMD work ???. When using laptop, noticed my eyes need to "work" lot more than on desktop monitor (24" Eizo). Eyes need to rest for while...

Need to check - if I have a option to test those desktop magnifying lens lights, before buing one...
Timo, OH7HMS

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf