Author Topic: Desoldering Irons  (Read 11429 times)

Offline tjb1Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Desoldering Irons
« on: March 17, 2014, 02:32:58 pm »
I've been on a kick after watching Dave's video about the solder sucker gun from Rhino Tools but would not like to spend the $100 or more that those cost at this time.  While searching on ebay, I found quite a few of the soldering irons with the manual sucker built right in.  Has anyone tried these and had any luck?  I've only been able to find 30w and very few are 110v.

Edit: Started finding a few 40w models.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:34:29 pm by tjb1 »

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Desoldering Irons
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 03:00:44 pm »
Every soldering iron I've seen with a manual suction device uses the "squeeze bulb" type.   These don't work very well, in my opinion.   There isn't enough suction to be useful.  Typically, they are attached to crap irons as well.

The only manual de-soldering device I've found to be worth using is the "soldapullt" from Edsyn.  I used one of those for years when I worked at the TV/VCR repair shop, before the boss got me a surplus desoldering iron that connected to shop air.   

I'd recommend getting a good soldering iron (there's a lot of good advice on the forum" and one of these Edsyn devices as a bare minimum - "ultra low budget" choice.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 03:09:34 pm »
I've got a WES51 which has gotten me along nicely but I have trouble getting some things with multiple pins out even using a "soldapullit" type device or solder wick.

The ones I am talking about on ebay are basically a soldering iron with the "soldapullit" device built in, you load it, stuff it on the pin and then push a button like the ones without heat.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 03:18:17 pm »
Every soldering iron I've seen with a manual suction device uses the "squeeze bulb" type.   These don't work very well, in my opinion.   There isn't enough suction to be useful.  Typically, they are attached to crap irons as well.

I used to do computer repair/service calls, etc while I was skipping grade 9-10 classes, the store was pretty cheap with their soldering stuff as it wasn't used that often, but I did replace a *lot* of caps from the socket A era, I used one of those manual bulb desoldering irons by placing it underneath the board and with a normal radioshack firestarter iron on top. it got the job done, but it's a bit tricky since ideally, you'd need 3 hands. 2 to hold both irons and 1 more to squeeze the bulb and the desoldering firestarter needs to be held tightly so the suction works.

I don't desolder much now, but when I do, it's just solder wick and a metcal stss.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 04:45:46 pm »
The inexpensive one from Radio Shack works pretty well (catalog #: 64-2060, $15). I have stripped a board of all its components with this iron with great ease.

Downsides are that it takes some time to get up to working temperature (5-10 minutes or so), and that once it is heated up you need to be careful where you put it down (it comes with a crappy "rest" that barely deserves the description).

Upsides include plenty of suction from the bulb, and no solder clogging. Replacement nozzles are available for when they wear out.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 07:03:16 pm »
 I had one of those rat shack desoldering irons.  I happily threw it away when I got my ZD-985.  That thing was an aggravation to use though I did get pretty good at using it 1 handed.  +1 to IanB, it took ages to heat up, the stand was worse than crappy and all that bare, insanely hot metal was always just waiting to contact a part of my body through a momentary lack of attention.  |O  The only plus side was the complete cauterization of the wound. :-DD  I am much happier with the ZD-985.  Go ahead and get it.  I still keep desoldering braid if I only have to remove 1 or 2 components, but I won't trade the ZD unless someone wants to give me a nice Hakko FM205  ;D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 07:25:09 pm »
Where are you finding the ZD-985 for sale at?  I can't locate any on eBay and haven't really found anything with a Google search besides the Rhino Tools in Australia.

Offline johnwill

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 09:46:38 pm »
Well I've never heard of a desolderer, but I'm guessing it has some means for removing the solder for the board once its liquid, and it probably isn't as precise as a soldering iron. My freind has a soldering iron and a little tool. Its a spring loaded vacuum pretty much. Just this little tube, you push it down, and when you push the button, it releases and springs back up sucking up the solder, this may be a desolderer for all I know.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 09:52:07 pm »
Just this little tube, you push it down, and when you push the button, it releases and springs back up sucking up the solder, this may be a desolderer for all I know.

That is a vacuum desoldering tool, sometimes known as a "solder sucker".

A desoldering iron combines the sucking and the heating in one tool. Heat and suck at the same time, no separate soldering iron needed, no need to use two hands.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 10:02:27 pm »
I've got a WES51 which has gotten me along nicely but I have trouble getting some things with multiple pins out even using a "soldapullit" type device or solder wick.

+1 for the soldapullt. The trigger of the DS017 is better than the P109 IMO (the P109 clicks half way without a release).

I have a Hakko 808 but rarely using it due to the DS017.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 12:22:28 am »
The inexpensive one from Radio Shack works pretty well (catalog #: 64-2060, $15). I have stripped a board of all its components with this iron with great ease.

Downsides are that it takes some time to get up to working temperature (5-10 minutes or so), and that once it is heated up you need to be careful where you put it down (it comes with a crappy "rest" that barely deserves the description).

Upsides include plenty of suction from the bulb, and no solder clogging. Replacement nozzles are available for when they wear out.

Well I grabbed the Radio Shack one because I am impatient and cheap.  It does quite a good job for the price, as been said here and on multiple reviews, the stand is terrible but everything else works decent and tips are cheap.

Online sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 03:45:41 am »
I think that the OP is probably talking about these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=desoldering+iron&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Basically a mashup of the typical plunger sucker and a fire stick soldering iron.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline Holograph

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 03:00:38 pm »
I had a $20-30 Radio Shack desoldering iron with the bulb suction device and it was almost totally useless. Low wattage, didn't work for much, and the bulb had very little suction. And this was in addition to the obvious flaws of no adjustability (unless you have a variac you can use for it, heh) and no stand. I threw it out after only a couple attempted uses. My old Weller WES51 with a regular tip along with a solder sucker, while not that great either, was better than the cheapie desoldering iron. Total waste of money.

I just got a JBC CD-1BC soldering station, btw, and the only time I can recommend something like the WES51 is if it's rarely going to be used or if you're not soldering difficult things. The JBC was 4-5x the price, but I'd have a hard time recommending the WES51 now, even with the significant price difference.

As for the Rhino product Dave reviewed, I don't think I'd be willing to buy such a low-quality product.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 03:34:51 pm »
I had a $20-30 Radio Shack desoldering iron with the bulb suction device and it was almost totally useless. Low wattage, didn't work for much, and the bulb had very little suction. And this was in addition to the obvious flaws of no adjustability (unless you have a variac you can use for it, heh) and no stand. I threw it out after only a couple attempted uses. My old Weller WES51 with a regular tip along with a solder sucker, while not that great either, was better than the cheapie desoldering iron. Total waste of money.

I just got a JBC CD-1BC soldering station, btw, and the only time I can recommend something like the WES51 is if it's rarely going to be used or if you're not soldering difficult things. The JBC was 4-5x the price, but I'd have a hard time recommending the WES51 now, even with the significant price difference.

As for the Rhino product Dave reviewed, I don't think I'd be willing to buy such a low-quality product.

I've never had any issues with the WES51, heats up fast, holds temp and gets the job done..

But to continue, where do you buy the ZD-985???

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 04:45:35 pm »

I've never had any issues with the WES51, heats up fast, holds temp and gets the job done..

But to continue, where do you buy the ZD-985???
Memotronics have it in the USA.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 08:52:56 pm »
Where are you finding the ZD-985 for sale at?  I can't locate any on eBay and haven't really found anything with a Google search besides the Rhino Tools in Australia.

I bought it from eBayer memotgronics_llc but he is showing 0 on hand
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 09:30:53 pm »
www.hotair.pl has them,  so it might be an option for people from Europe. I dunno whether they ship internationally though.
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 01:20:56 am »
hakko 808

'nuff said!

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 03:04:46 pm »
did not know they are coming out with a new model.  nothing wrong with the old one.  wonder why they re-invent the wheel so many times? ;)

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 03:38:50 pm »
did not know they are coming out with a new model.  nothing wrong with the old one.  wonder why they re-invent the wheel so many times? ;)

So far it looks like it will be somewhat cheaper than the old model, atleast here in europe.
I'm just not sure if I want to waste more money on Hakko's, their way of making business around here is not something I like very much..

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 03:48:24 pm »
hakko makes the real deal, though.  they are trustable in their parts and design.  that's why there are so many 'quakko' fakes out there, such as this:

what a laugh!  in english, a 'quack' is someone who operates without a license or skill set.  so approporiate for fake merchandise! ;)

real hakko is not cheap but I do trust their stuff.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 05:45:17 pm »
Yes, but that's the problem, here in Norway the hakkos are often 2-4 times the price as in US, and if you buy it from US or other places, you are sure to get fakes.
The hakko 808 for instance, $810 here.. since the new fr300 is coming, they are offering it for $417 (if you know it, and ask, otherwise you are going to pay premium)
The new FR300, they are asking $634 for..

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 05:49:58 pm »
HOW MUCH??

that's insane!  I can see why people don't want to pay that much.  wow.  just wow ;(

might be cheaper to book a plane ticket, buy things here and carry them back in a suitcase ;)

(I know some people do that for NY camera stores).

at my previous company, we had lots of chinese employees come to stay at our US corp office for weeks on end.  while here, they'd order all kinds of stuff from amazon and you'd see amazon boxes all over the office floor (kind of funny).  they'd buy things that are even made in china, to take home to china, and its cheaper here than in china.  go figure!

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 06:16:37 pm »
neslekkim, order from an authorized distributor de 110v version . See Adafruit, Sparkfun, NEI on eBay etc... it's 180$ at authorized seller on eBay.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf