Author Topic: Desoldering tweezers for Weller WESD51?  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Pack34Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Desoldering tweezers for Weller WESD51?
« on: December 29, 2016, 04:18:04 pm »
I'm in the market for some soldering tweezers. The use-case is to perform mods during production.

My electronics have been designed to be flexible to be able to interface with a variety of external sensors and misc equipment. These tend to use different voltage levels and interfaces. So the circuit boards can be modded by changing a resistor value or populating/de-populating a sense resistor to put the firmware into different modes.

I've seen on the newer WX and WT series there seems to be tweezers that you can just plug into the stand, does anyone know of one that would work with a WESD51?

I've seen these and the connector looks the same.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WELLER-T0051317199-WTA50-TWEEZERS-SMD-DESOLDERING-/272464005826?hash=item3f701ecac2:g:u~gAAOSw3mpXMj4q

Now, using tweezers isn't a requirement but I felt it would be more "idiot proof" to just instruct the technicians to pluck the resistor off with tool A and populate new resistor with tool B. It could be done using a fat screwdriver tip on a second iron but felt tweezers would require less finesse.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
Re: Desoldering tweezers for Weller WESD51?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 06:25:43 am »
Sorry to add opinion that doesn't answer your question:

BR tip
Knife tip
2.5 mm bevel tip
screwdriver tip
bottom of the list:
hot tweezers

Offline Pack34Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 08:54:42 pm »
I don't know the answer, I'd like to know myself what tweezer tools might be available to fit basic irons from Weller or Hakko.

But it seems like "you're doing it wrong" if you get the PCBAs mass produced and often end up with the wrong assembled components for a variant and plan to do rework to get the right component on there.

What about just:
(a) placing a socket on the PCB as standard and just sliding THT 1/8W or 1/4W resistor leads into the socket (some PCB sockets can basically just accept such leads).

(b) placing a socket on the PCB as standard and just placing a pluggable "module" into the socket that contains your particular passives?

(c) placing a screw terminal block onto the PCB and just screwing down the leads of THT resistors / capacitors?

(d) same as (c) but with spring clamp type terminal blocks instead of a screw terminal strip.

(e) Like (d) but with screw down type terminal blocks or plugable headers.

Volume isn't enormous as we'd likely only need 250 units of this board a year. However, out of this 250 would be 140 of one configuration, 100 of another, and 10 of a third. If it's just a resistor swap it's something that a technician would have no problem doing within a couple minutes and it would allow me to jump up to the next volume discount.

I'm mainly concerned with the higher cost of the 5 units a year. Those get real expensive per unit and put a real dent into the profit margin.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 09:53:21 pm »
It doesn't look like it.  :--

According to Weller, the WTA50 works with the WD 1, WD 2, WD 1M, PUD 81, PUD 151, PU 81, WR3M, WR 2, and WAD 101 (what they term as Silver Series).

It may be modifiable though (think the pin-out is different). Silver series is also higher power (80W).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf