Author Topic: DIY Solder paste dispenser???  (Read 18557 times)

su_pyrow

DIY Solder paste dispenser???
« on: April 19, 2013, 07:04:08 am »
I would really like to see a teardown of a Solder paste dispenser, this would be a first in this area as far I know.  I do realize one can be picked up for around $120.00 USD   however, I; like most makers, hackers, want to make it our own. WE and I do believe I speak for a number of individuals would LOVE to see the guts of this fascinating device.  Possibly someone can give some advice besides a "pressure regulator"  it is more to it than that.  pictures are good.  links are good. ...      ATTN:  "DAVE" (Desperately seeking TEARDOWN)

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU

su_pyrow

Re: DIY Solder paste dispenser???
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 12:00:31 am »
Thank you so much for that first video, just what I needed to see.  I had already seen the second video, but thanks for that as well!  Take Care, Be Well!

Offline mike_58

• Regular Contributor
  • LEGO playground
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 07:25:03 am »

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 12:19:17 pm »
I would really like to see a teardown of a Solder paste dispenser, this would be a first in this area as far I know.  I do realize one can be picked up for around $120.00 USD   however, I; like most makers, hackers, want to make it our own. WE and I do believe I speak for a number of individuals would LOVE to see the guts of this fascinating device.  Possibly someone can give some advice besides a "pressure regulator"  it is more to it than that.  pictures are good.  links are good. ...      ATTN:  "DAVE" (Desperately seeking TEARDOWN)

You could have read this thread right?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/solder-pasteflux-manual-syringe-applicator/

Couple of messages in, there is this, an link to an instructable which takes apart and modifies one of these
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/solder-pasteflux-manual-syringe-applicator/msg736469/#msg736469

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 12:52:18 pm »
however, I; like most makers, hackers, want to make it our own.

The requirement for air pressure supply is also a barrier for many makers. Not just the cost but the hassle of having to run a compressor.

One thing I found with syringe dispensers is that the quality and freshness of the paste does matter, more so than with a stencil. Some pastes I tried preferred to hang on the needle rather than sticking to the board.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 02:13:52 pm »
Some pastes I tried preferred to hang on the needle rather than sticking to the board.

I was thinking about ordering some with teflon coating, wonder if they could be better, or have you already tested those?

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 02:40:10 pm »
Some pastes I tried preferred to hang on the needle rather than sticking to the board.

I was thinking about ordering some with teflon coating, wonder if they could be better, or have you already tested those?

Didn't try them yet but rx8pilot seems to like them. You can ask him for more details. He has some professional settings so probably using shop air supply.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/choosing-solder-pastes-and-needles/msg646428/#msg646428

There are also those tapered plastic needles which can also improve the flow. Never used they either.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:42:35 pm by zapta »

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 02:45:00 pm »

Didn't try them yet but rx8pilot seems to like them. You can ask him for more details. He has some professional settings so probably using shop air supply.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/choosing-solder-pastes-and-needles/msg646428/#msg646428

Yes, but then I think he is using better solderpaste also :)
Didn't cost so much on ebay, so maybe I'll buy some, just have to find out the sizes on them, wasn't so big selection on sizes it seemed.
Typically these I find: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321534066470

Offline packetbob

• Contributor
    • zappedmyself.com
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 11:29:25 pm »

The requirement for air pressure supply is also a barrier for many makers. Not just the cost but the hassle of having to run a compressor.

While you do need compressed air for the 983A style of solder dispenser, it is viable to use a refillable air tank rather than an actual compressor. The caveat is that you have to take the tank to a auto service station to fill it up. I have used a 10 gallon portable air tank and I got a good 1200 shots out of the solder dispenser before the air tank needed to be filled up again. This would allow you to get several boards pasted up I expect.
Of course you do have to physically take the tank somewhere to get it filled up repeatably but it saves you the noise and cost of a compressor.

More details of what I did with the portable air tank are here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-set-up-repair-adjust-and-use-a-solder-paste/

If you had access to a SCUBA tank setup then you would probably get 10-30 times (just guessing) more air as I believe they are quite high pressure (several thousand PSI). I believe you can get an adapter that would let you connect a small pressure regulator to the buoyancy compensator connector but I have not seen it done...

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 12:24:23 am »
Doesn't compute to me. Who would not want an air compressor? How do you guys clean underneath your bench? :)
Gimme the air compressor, first. You can keep the solder paste dispenser. To possibly save 10-20% of time (on a good day, when your paste works just right) versus hand soldering on a proto here or there, I am not going to keep it around. For volume, I would use a stencil. And even the stencil isn't exactly sliced bread.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 12:35:24 am by KL27x »

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 11:06:07 am »
Regarding the 983A/986A dispensers:
1) I understand to switch between timer and manual modes you need to fiddle around with the DIP switches on the back while the analog (555 based) models had a big switch on the front for that
2) I figure to create the vacuum, these devices (also the analog ones of course) need a continuous air flow from the compressor even if you're not dispensing. Is this correct?
3) Is there any real reason (apart from being nerdy and loving LED displays) to actually use the digital version? This mechanical way of setting the digits seems somewhat crude and the time/volume relationship is not so simple anyway that you'll wish or need to set an exact time.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline packetbob

• Contributor
    • zappedmyself.com
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 06:12:07 pm »
Regarding the 983A/986A dispensers:
1) I understand to switch between timer and manual modes you need to fiddle around with the DIP switches on the back while the analog (555 based) models had a big switch on the front for that
2) I figure to create the vacuum, these devices (also the analog ones of course) need a continuous air flow from the compressor even if you're not dispensing. Is this correct?
3) Is there any real reason (apart from being nerdy and loving LED displays) to actually use the digital version? This mechanical way of setting the digits seems somewhat crude and the time/volume relationship is not so simple anyway that you'll wish or need to set an exact time.

1) The 983A has various modes but typically you would leave it in the "one shot per one trigger" (F5) mode. Other than testing I can't see you ever having to change it. Attached is a jpg of the various switch settings and what they do.
2) The vacuum is generated by a venturi so it does need to bleed a steady amount of air. However since solder paste is quite thick I don't use the vacuum "pull back" feature at all and leave it turned off.
3) I have the digital version but you are correct in that the analog version does the same thing. I find I tend to continually adjust the pulse width of a shot during the pasting of a board anyways so it may be easier on the analog version. This is due to several things like the paste thinning out as it warms up from my hand, different pad sizes and components needing differing amount of solder.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 09:19:50 pm »
I'm aware of the DIP switches, I just wonder why they removed the big fat auto/manual switch on the front.
Anyway, I figure that my assumption is correct that to achieve the same with the digital version, the DIP switches are needed (or to be more exact: S1 to switch between F1 and F5).

Side note: there is also a newer (?) version available called TD2000D which has the same crappy digital time setting (no interval though) but which has the manual/auto switch again.
All in all this makes you wonder what is wrong with the Chinese manufacturers that they didn't clone a proper design as the Fisnar SL101N just as they did years ago with the analog version.

@mike_58: I understand that your version doesn't use a stepper but a DC motor and the motor is rotating as long as you press the key. Correct? Honestly, I was/am tempted to give it a try, but the 3cm max stroke in combination with the improvised cable ties attachment made me stop.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 09:24:54 pm by 0xdeadbeef »

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 12:32:34 am »
RE: Compressed air..

When I was in a house, I had big compressor in the garage, it was fantastic and very useful. Now I'm in an apartment and can't really run a noisy compressor here.   A portable tank is doable, but I use the bus system to get around and I don't relish the thought of carrying a tank onto the bus (at what will likely be short intervals between excursions)

Why do all compressors run at high-speed, high-noise, and low volume?  is there any compressor that runs at low-speed, low-noise and high volume? Even low-speed, low-noise, low-volume... like a bicycle hand pump with a slow driver.....I'd like that one in my apartment :)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 01:00:15 am »
I stopped today at Home Depot, they have a few nice electrical compressors + tanks at very reasonable prices, however, it seemed to be so overkill for powering a 10ml syringe. I think I will stick with the $2 5V stepper motor.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 05:24:30 am »
Why do all compressors run at high-speed, high-noise, and low volume?  is there any compressor that runs at low-speed, low-noise and high volume? Even low-speed, low-noise, low-volume... like a bicycle hand pump with a slow driver.....I'd like that one in my apartment :)

Well, you can get up to 3,000 psi, relatively quietly, if you work hard enough at it.
http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=43598.0 :)

Ahh, I was an apartment dweller til quite recently. As my tool collection and interests got progressively louder, I always thought I was horrible to my neighboring apartment dwellers. I always made a point to tell them to let me know if I was making too much noise. And when I moved, I made a point to ask them about it. Mostly I was worried about my air compressor and belt sander. When I asked about noise, all I got was a puzzled look and a question about the "rumbling" sound. "No not an air compressor." That was my tumbler, which is very quiet but goes on for hours.

If you turn the compressor on only during the later mornings and in the afternoons, I think people just assume there's a contractor in your unit doing some rennovations. :) If I was still in that situation, I might rig up a timer to automatically turn on the compressor at a certain time each day to top off the tank.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 05:27:03 am by KL27x »

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 05:45:21 am »
After some investigation, I also concluded that a compressor in the appartment is not imposssible. There are airbrush compressors like the Sil Air 20A or 20D which are only about 30dB and still supply 6 Bar. Obviously they are not made for high volumes, but for solder paste dispensing they should be ok.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 06:22:30 am »
If you can build an effective enough oil separator, a fridge compressor does a good job too. Be careful though as they are easily capable of 400psi, so you absolutely need a pressure relief valve somewhere. Plenty of stuff out there on small DIY fridge compressor based air compressors. Low volume, but ultra-quiet and almost free if you're clever.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 06:52:02 am »
I have found someone that looks like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CLARKE-SHHH-0-88CFM-QUIET-COMPRESSOR/dp/B00KKQZ82E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_121_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AN0B44PAC2EH76D81M8&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

But the ones I have found so far here in Norway is very expensive, like $1000 or so.
Do this type have other names that is easier to search after?

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 10:36:43 am »
Thanks! good ideas about the compressors, I'll look into some of them, especially the fridge compressor, they are very quiet.

That's video with the reciprocating handpump was very cool!

Offline mike_58

• Regular Contributor
  • LEGO playground
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2015, 07:55:13 pm »
@mike_58: I understand that your version doesn't use a stepper but a DC motor and the motor is rotating as long as you press the key. Correct? Honestly, I was/am tempted to give it a try, but the 3cm max stroke in combination with the improvised cable ties attachment made me stop.
[/quote]

My version IS USING A STEPPER !! 5V  NOT DC motor!!

With abt. 3cm  stroke you can do plenty of PCBs - it is a lot of paste.... I can say you can discharge almost all from typical syringes that are sold on the market (or sold by Farnell) including Chinese paste.
It is about 5-7mm missing to discharge all from syringe - you can add in a plastic toothpaste plug and you will discharge all ... 
See photo here:

The advantages I see are :
- No noise (no compressor), 5V stepper motor is very quiet  :wtf:.
- Easy to handle - small size,
- you can plug down the needle  and leave it for next PCB..,
- Simple easy power supply 5V charger + USB cable (you can use USB from computer,...)..
- Cable ties look strange but -this is the only way to keep it simple and low cost, I had previous model   with aluminium holder but costs... and than you are limited with syringe size - diameter and.... problems start...
-   and stepper motor with gearbox is strong -no maintenance needed, ...

I think it is handy all-doe not very fancy looking - but it was made for use not for beauty contest   :-DD

Try it out .... http://www.ebay.com/itm/271979673060?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Larger and nice looking (as well 5V stepper but larger motor+gearbox) I have here : but not on eBay where I sell my.... photo attached: Ask for price to my email-.....

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:13:05 pm by mike_58 »

Offline mike_58

• Regular Contributor
  • LEGO playground
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2015, 08:15:15 pm »
you can read more on blog here : https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/solder-pasteflux-manual-syringe-applicator/90/  with some videos...
BR
Mike

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf