Author Topic: DIY Weller 5 pin controller?  (Read 9731 times)

Offline JonnyMTopic starter

• Contributor
DIY Weller 5 pin controller?
« on: November 02, 2016, 06:39:54 pm »
Hi! I'm new to this forum but I'm a longtime EEVblog fan. :)

Today I found this brand new Weller LR-21 soldering iron in the dumpster :D

http://imgur.com/a/jhbKj

I'm using a Weller TPC-S at the moment but I only have 700 Fahrenheit tips for it :palm: So this 5 pin iron would be perfect!
Now i just need a controller for it. Here's a pinout of the 5 pin connector.

http://imgur.com/a/G0gU5

I confirmed that it's working just by applying 24v directly to the 12 ohm heater pins and it got hot in 20 sec, the thermistor changed from 21ohms to around  40ohms.

Would those hakko 936 clone or t12 controllers work with this iron or do I have to make something myself? I have a lambda 24v power supply, an arduino and some mosfets from my 3d printer builds laying around.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 06:42:57 pm by JonnyM »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: DIY Weller 5 pin controller?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 07:11:19 pm »
Hi, and welcome,

I suspect that you would have reasonable success with one of the ebay controller kits. I believe the Hakko etc sensors are PTC, so at least your resistance is going in the right direction.  :)

The only issue might be temperature calibration. I doubt if the source for the firmware for those controllers is available so you might be reduced to adding series / parallel resistors to get within their calibration range, that doesn't sound impossible though.

Maybe a little internet research to see if you can find a T12 temperature sensor curve....
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: JonnyM

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 07:37:48 pm »
google is your friend.... search for "weller controller schematic" gives several designs that will help you...

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 04:44:30 pm »
Hi, and welcome,

I suspect that you would have reasonable success with one of the ebay controller kits. I believe the Hakko etc sensors are PTC, so at least your resistance is going in the right direction.  :)

The only issue might be temperature calibration. I doubt if the source for the firmware for those controllers is available so you might be reduced to adding series / parallel resistors to get within their calibration range, that doesn't sound impossible though.

Maybe a little internet research to see if you can find a T12 temperature sensor curve....

My weller goes from 21-45 ohms while the hakko goes from 70-120 ohms. The resistance increases abit more per degree C on the hakko. I guess I could put a 50ohm resistor in series and just make a new temperature scale if I order the hakko controller.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 04:47:36 pm »
google is your friend.... search for "weller controller schematic" gives several designs that will help you...

I'm not sure if I'm capable of making the pcb for the stock controller yet. But thanks for your suggestion, maybe I have to watch some Kicad tutorials on youtube :D

Offline rbm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 11:52:16 pm »
This design is for the DSX80 but might work for your LR-21.

http://silicium31.chez.com/Electronique/DS80/DS80.htm
- Robert

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 12:03:25 am »
Hi, and welcome,

My weller goes from 21-45 ohms while the hakko goes from 70-120 ohms. The resistance increases abit more per degree C on the hakko. I guess I could put a 50ohm resistor in series and just make a new temperature scale if I order the hakko controller.

A hakko clone handle, complete with tip and heater costs less than a 50ohm 50w resistor...

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 02:31:46 pm »
Hi, and welcome,

A hakko clone handle, complete with tip and heater costs less than a 50ohm 50w resistor...

I'm just going to put the resistor in series with the PTC sensor not the heating element.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 03:17:08 pm »
Ooops, what was I thinking...

Nevertheless... lol...

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 05:14:30 pm »
I ordered the $3 hakko 936 controller. I'll use a 50ohm resistor in series with the sensor and maybe add a resistor to one side of the pot to limit the max temperature. I'll have to tinker when I receive the controller unit. My old weller WTPCs transformer should work great. Thanks for your suggestions!

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 09:28:24 pm »
My old weller WTPCs transformer should work great.

I'd try to keep your WTPC setup intact. Fit a SSR to take the load off the thermo switch contacts and buy it a 600'F tip - it will love you forever.  ;D

Edit: I just wanted to place this link here so it can be found in future. It might be of use to other Weller TCP owners...

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67035
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 10:03:32 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Ton

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 09:44:59 am »
Hi

you could also take inspiration from some Weller designs, here is some for the PU80 the power unit for WSP80.

Very similar to the LR21 except the heating element is 80W, thermistor looks the same.

First time for me to do attachments, so hope it works

Br ton

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 07:33:19 pm »
I believe that Weller irons that use that 5 pin connector use a Platinum RTD as a sensor, not a plain thermistor. This means that there is a high degree of consistency from iron to iron, so you can use any iron on any base without the re-calibration necessary for a thermistor. I have a very similar iron, a FE-80 (looks identical to yours, with the addition of a fume extractor), and I use it with a base that is definitely not designed for it, but it works perfectly.
I have no idea what sensor other brands use.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf