Author Topic: Do You Need A New Solder Sucker  (Read 19024 times)

Offline George_RaceTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Race Consulting
Do You Need A New Solder Sucker
« on: November 28, 2015, 03:40:50 pm »
Ran across a really good deal on a Solder Sucker.  My 40 year old one from Sweden has seen better days!

Just could not pass up an Engineer SS-02 for $14.87 from Adafruit!  That includes a 15% extended Black Friday discount.   Their shipping is only by UPS, but you still end up getting it for the cheapest price available from Japan, and don't have to wait 2 weeks for it to be delivered.

Here is a link to their product:  https://www.adafruit.com/products/1597

Offline v8dave

• Regular Contributor
Re: Do You Need A New Solder Sucker
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 03:58:18 pm »
I've got 2 off these and although they work very well, they do tend to block up easily and you find you need to use something to clear the silicone tube often.

In saying that, if you can live with having to clean it more than you would any other solder sucker, they do a damn good job if you don't want to invest in an actual desoldering gun.

• Regular Contributor
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 02:03:20 am »
Anything will probably work better than the 40 year old one that is being held together by blue plastic tape!
I don't do that much work any more, so for an occasional use I am sure it will do just great.

Pleased to hear it works well!  Have my eye on one of the Chinese hand held vacuum pumps, but really don't think that it would get used enough to have just sitting around on the work bench.

Thanks for your comments

Offline v8dave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 02:08:57 am »
It will be perfect for your sort of use.

By the way, the spring is pretty heft so it will give your thumb a good work out   :D

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 02:29:58 am »
I still am using my first one as well.  It's not 40 yet but getting close.  Looks like they still make it.

http://www.amazon.com/EDSYN-INC-DS017-Delux-Soldapullt/dp/B000PDNOZU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448763673&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=soldapullt+model+ds+017

At the price, do they still have the same quality?

Curious, looking at this picture, how many of you notch the tip to fit around the iron for better suction?   I was showed this when I was just getting started.  Nice trick.

Offline v8dave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 02:36:15 am »
Curious, looking at this picture, how many of you notch the tip to fit around the iron for better suction?   I was showed this when I was just getting started.  Nice trick.

With the Adafruit one, the fact that the tip is a piece of silicone tubing, it deforms nicely around the soldering tip and I've found that this gives better suction.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 05:21:22 am »

With the Adafruit one, the fact that the tip is a piece of silicone tubing, it deforms nicely around the soldering tip and I've found that this gives better suction.

I have damaged circuit boards before with mine because of the hard tip (Teflon?) when I slipped.   Rare, but happens.   The soft silicone tube may prevent this as well.

Offline djQUAN

• Frequent Contributor
    • My DIY website
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 05:48:14 am »
I have this one which has been in use for more than 10yrs

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/userid/307576/car/402622/1969845/parts.aspx

and bought a spare but haven't used it yet.  Seems to work ok all these years, works much better than the chinese crap.

Will it be a decent upgrade to get the one in the OP or just use my spare?

Or just get a silicone tube and "upgrade" mine? :) I like the idea of the soft tip.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 05:56:36 am »
That's a rather touchy subject!

"I swear baby, it's not mine!" - Austin Powers

;D ;D

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 05:17:30 pm »
Does anyone remember the scene in the Woody Allen movie "Sleeper" where the rebels give Allen's character a sedative using a Radio Shack solder sucker (repainted into different colors)?

• Regular Contributor
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 01:59:50 pm »
It arrived yesterday and I am impressed with the overall quality.  And yes, it does have a very strong spring!  The overall size of the unit is about one half the size of my 40 year old one.  Need to see how it works on a circuit board, like the way the soft tip can be cut to fit around the tip of the iron.  Seems to fit in my hand nicely, will make some further comments after I have had a chance to try it out.  My overall rating is great, especially for the price I paid.

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 09:24:37 pm »

I (and the guy who showed my this trick) DO notch the tip. I cannot see the image, but I understand what you are writing about.
I have the same tool (EDSYN blue one) and just to-day I ordered a second one.
No other pump I've tested works so well (there is one from JBC that is very similar, but more expensive).
Best regards
Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 12:51:23 am »
^ Jonard/OK Industries DP-100 appears to be 99% identical, at $18.00 from Mouser. Practically indestructable, these things, yeah.

Edsyn Soldapult 3 is a little smaller but seems to have about the same level of suction. Also indestructible.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 12:53:57 am by KL27x »

• Regular Contributor
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 07:24:39 pm »
Here is a picture of the new and the old, actually purchased the old one in 1970.

Offline amc184

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 06:44:18 am »
These look really good, I'll be getting one.  I use an Edsyn SS750LS at the moment, and while it removes solder really well, it's not durable enough.  With the SS-02's aluminium body and easily replaceable tip, that shouldn't be an issue.

Offline brillopad

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 09:32:18 pm »
Amazon UK sell them - I bought two - I like them for the silicone tube and the small size - much easier operate and reset.
UK price as usual is $1 = £1.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002MJMXD4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2015, 09:44:28 am »
I thought most of these were an esd hazard.
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Offline amc184

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 07:16:22 am »
I followed through an bought an Engineer SS02.  First impression is that it's good but small.

Pros: The quality is very good, with the sort of materials and finish I'd expect on something ten times the price.  The action is quite powerful, and it gets the job done without jamming.  The silicone tip works quite well, but I'll be interested to see what the life is like.  A length of spare tube is included, enough for about 6 changes.

Cons:  It is small, the body is only 85mm long.  For me, a guy with slightly under average sized hands it's okay .... just.  If you have above average sized hands, don't bother buying this, it won't work.  I also found the spring pressure to be on the high side, a bit more than an average desoldering pump.  Might cause fatigue issues with prolonged use.

All up, looks good, I don't regret buying it.

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 09:17:29 am »
Just buy this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141175414871

Buy the 2mm * 4mm
It will last you forever
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:24:28 am by nukie »

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 10:05:44 pm »
Amazon UK sell them - I bought two - I like them for the silicone tube and the small size - much easier operate and reset.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002MJMXD4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
I just ordered one from that vendor, too, but through amazon.de — only slightly higher numerals, but with € in front of them instead of £!!!

They actually had to create a separate SKU for me, though, because "Fulfillment by Amazon" doesn't ship to Switzerland!  |O |O |O

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 10:52:23 pm »

I just ordered one from that vendor, too, but through amazon.de — only slightly higher numerals, but with € in front of them instead of £!!!

They actually had to create a separate SKU for me, though, because "Fulfillment by Amazon" doesn't ship to Switzerland!  |O |O |O

you could do it direct fom their shop: http://www.precisehandtools.com/

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 12:56:30 am »
Yep, I know that, but the price on their own website is significantly higher than their price on amazon.de (€24.32 including shipping, vs. €27.56).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 12:59:49 am by tooki »

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2016, 04:21:26 pm »
Actually now the price is the same between Amazon.de and their own website :( Not sure about the shipping cost through Amazon, though.

Offline BobbyK

• Regular Contributor
    • GameDesignIdeas
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2016, 11:25:55 pm »
I still am using my first one as well.  It's not 40 yet but getting close.  Looks like they still make it.

http://www.amazon.com/EDSYN-INC-DS017-Delux-Soldapullt/dp/B000PDNOZU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448763673&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=soldapullt+model+ds+017

At the price, do they still have the same quality?

I second that sucker! it is very powerful even after two years of use. Got in on Amazon, and haven't had a complaint, except maybe the size (it's huge)....and the fact that its hard to operate with one hand. But it certainly sucks as it should.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2016, 04:37:56 am »

I (and the guy who showed my this trick) DO notch the tip. I cannot see the image, but I understand what you are writing about.
I have the same tool (EDSYN blue one) and just to-day I ordered a second one.
No other pump I've tested works so well (there is one from JBC that is very similar, but more expensive).
Best regards

The spring in mine is quite stiff and after cleaning and lube, there is enough suction to catch a fly with it.   

I also found the spring pressure to be on the high side, a bit more than an average desoldering pump.  Might cause fatigue issues with prolonged use.

I second that sucker! it is very powerful even after two years of use. Got in on Amazon, and haven't had a complaint, except maybe the size (it's huge)....and the fact that its hard to operate with one hand. But it certainly sucks as it should.

Now I am curious how people use them.    If I have a lot of work to do, I hold the iron in one hand and the sucker the other.  I rotate my wrist and bang the plunger on my leg to set it.  I made a short video to better explain it.    The Soldapullt can take a fair amount of abuse. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf