Author Topic: Drawer carousel/turntable  (Read 2684 times)

Offline DaveWTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • WattCircuit
Drawer carousel/turntable
« on: August 31, 2014, 05:18:45 pm »
I ran into the normal issue with trying to store far too many components in a home lab. After accumulating 8 cabinets and filling them, I decided to build a rotary turntable to hold another 8.

The key was picking up a bearing suitable for the job-managed to find a nice one from ebay for £15, 18" diameter suited the cabinets perfectly. Had a quick test to make sure it'd stand up to the weight, and then a quick mod to
extend the holes right through the bearing-this doesn't affect the operation at all on the bearings I had.

Next up was something to hold the drawers together. I was originally going to use some plywood with some cheap aluminium angle round the edges to provide a lip, in the end a mate bent some stainless steel sheet up. If you
can get it done this way, would highly recommend it, looks really great.

After that just used a few bits of plywood to make reinforcements for the top and bottom as well as a base, some assembly and it's all built. I was a bit worried about stability with 4 layers initially, but in use it's absolutely fine.

I've attached a picture of the bearing and some of the (far too few) in progress pics I took,

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Drawer carousel/turntable
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 07:57:14 pm »
Looks quite nice. Nice and solid build there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf