Author Topic: Dremel Makes a 3d-Printer?  (Read 8813 times)

Offline Falcon69Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Dremel Makes a 3d-Printer?
« on: December 11, 2014, 08:51:23 pm »
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but recently I visited my local HomeDepot (a Home Improvement center here in the northwest of the United States).  They had a display for Dremel, selling a 3d-printer. But, it looks like 3d-Printers have now hit the retail market. No longer "buy online only".

https://3dprinter.dremel.com/

$1000 is pretty pricy.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-Idea-Builder-3D-Printer-3D20-01/205448581

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
    • Circuitology - Electronics Assembly
Re: Dremel Makes a 3d-Printer?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 08:53:36 pm »
After my experiences with the dremel drill press I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 08:54:30 pm »
Oh, i agree.

They make a good rotary-tool, but they should just stick with that imo.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 09:41:44 pm »
IIRC it is a rebranded Forge printer.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 09:47:21 pm »
They look pretty close. You may be right.

http://www.ff3dp.com/#!dreamer/cwdv
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 06:48:30 am by Falcon69 »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 02:25:46 am »
After my experiences with the dremel drill press I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole.

You stole my thunder
 :)
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 02:54:24 am »
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but recently I visited my local HomeDepot (a Home Improvement center here in the northwest of the United States).  They had a display for Dremel, selling a 3d-printer. But, it looks like 3d-Printers have now hit the retail market. No longer "buy online only".

https://3dprinter.dremel.com/

$1000 is pretty pricy.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-Idea-Builder-3D-Printer-3D20-01/205448581

Why do you say it's pricy?  What would be a comparable printer that is cheaper?

(And it's very easy to get a Home Depot 10% off coupon.)

BTW, here's some information/reviews:

http://www.about3dprinters.com/dremel-idea-builder-review.html
http://makezine.com/2014/09/17/dremel-3d-printer-idea-builder/
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-Idea-Builder-3D-Printer/dp/B00NA00MWS
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 06:58:31 pm by edavid »

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 03:02:41 am »
Looks to be $100 cheaper than oem.
And as mentioned, HD are pretty good with discount coupons.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 06:49:24 am »
can build one for way less than that.

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 07:17:55 am »
Dremel is overpriced crap. Their rotary tools are less precise than Proxxon, their glue guns are worse than for example Steinel, and so on while the price is roughly the same if not higher.
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 05:23:46 pm »
Dremel is overpriced crap. Their rotary tools are less precise than Proxxon, their glue guns are worse than for example Steinel, and so on while the price is roughly the same if not higher.

That's irrelevant since this product is not made by Dremel.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 06:30:07 pm »
can build one for way less than that.

What matters is if you can *sell* one like this for way less.

Offline hagster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 07:31:45 pm »
It's PLA only and doesn't have a heated bed.

What I would say is that you can't really choose these things based upon the spec sheet. You really need to read as many real user reviews as possible and ignore all the "top ten 3d printers of 2014" style so called reviews you see if you see online. Most of these are just based on marketing hype, with no actual testing. The exception might be Make magazine.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 08:25:04 pm »

What I would say is that you can't really choose these things based upon the spec sheet. You really need to read as many real user reviews as possible and ignore all the "top ten 3d printers of 2014" style so called reviews you see if you see online. Most of these are just based on marketing hype, with no actual testing. The exception might be Make magazine.

Sure, but the nice thing about buying from Home Depot is that you can return it.

Offline hagster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 09:20:16 pm »
Going against what I just said about internet 3d printing reviews this looks like a fairly good one. http://www.3dhubs.com/best-3d-printer-guide

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 11:55:04 pm »
But, it looks like 3d-Printers have now hit the retail market. No longer "buy online only"...
$1000 is pretty pricy.
Why do you say it's pricy?  What would be a comparable printer that is cheaper?
the diy prusa is $300 cheap and it can do 20x20x20cm, dremel only 14x15x23cm + PLA only? how dissapointing. i know we have to assemble prusa our own but i wont pay $700 other people if i can do it my own. even if one day our kids are doctrinized to think that $1000 is a normal price for that nice ready-built printer, they also need a way to make 3d software as easy to learn as word processor software. so people can make there own desire model/project/work and print. otherwise its just a "thingiverse limited subset models" of 3d printing device like shirt hanger and trouser button. i mean even many models in thingiverse are not print-ready right off the server.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 01:02:31 am »
the diy prusa is $300 cheap and it can do 20x20x20cm, dremel only 14x15x23cm + PLA only? how dissapointing. i know we have to assemble prusa our own but i wont pay $700 other people if i can do it my own. even if one day our kids are doctrinized to think that $1000 is a normal price for that nice ready-built printer, they also need a way to make 3d software as easy to learn as word processor software. so people can make there own desire model/project/work and print. otherwise its just a "thingiverse limited subset models" of 3d printing device like shirt hanger and trouser button. i mean even many models in thingiverse are not print-ready right off the server.

1. Where do you get a Prusa kit for $300?

2. Is it a stand alone with display and SD card?

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 01:10:42 am »

Unless you buy a $2000+ makerbot class printer, choosing a 3D printer is a torture. There are so many of them and each has major cons so no clear winners. I went through that same process earlier this year and ended buying a popular open source kit with good support (Makerfarm I3V).  Performance is so/so, mostly because it's open frame and the ABS curls (no problem with PLA) but building and tweaking it taught me a lot. In 20/20 hindsight, maybe the ABS thing was a distraction that consume a lot of time and settling in advance on PLA only would make things simpler (main problem with PLA is that it's not sandpaper friendly).

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 01:15:24 am »

You stole my thunder
 :)

+1

I have that POS too.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2014, 10:49:23 pm »
1. Where do you get a Prusa kit for $300?
gazzillions in ebay... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Folger-Tech-RepRap-Prusa-i3-Clear-Frame-Full-3D-Printer-Kit-RAMPS-GT2-/231301357105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35daa29e31#ht_1434wt_1756

2. Is it a stand alone with display and SD card?
it can be standalone with sd card, but no display. actually it can, buy separately and tweaking the arduweeno firmware :P. anyway i'm currently design and reprapping bigger than objet1000 from my pc and my smaller prusa. hopefully with display, standalone and battery backup. pray me success...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:56:18 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline MickM

• Regular Contributor

Offline ex-parrot

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 04:32:21 am »

My understanding is that these are equivalent to the Flashforge Dreamer printer (they were developed by Flashforge for Dremel).

Deconstruction on other forums has shown them to be very poorly designed (e.g. the thermal break heatsink wasn't even touching the hot end!). It's basically an older Makerbot style mechanism in a fancy plastic case without the mod-cons that the industry (and even the hobby market) have picked up on in the last few years (e.g. heated bed) and a few pretty serious problems (the above heatsink issue has led to units melting out internally apparently, and would certainly lower performance in general).

If you're looking for a relatively low fuss 3D printer, Ultimaker has some good options, or Flashforge themselves have some other printers which are more or less clones of the later generation Makerbots with some decent improvements (stiffer bed, three point leveling etc).

I would avoid the Dreamer / Dremel printer unless you're buying for e.g. very young children to play with who need the safety of a full enclosure and who won't care about only being able to print very small, misshapen items :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:34:26 am by ex-parrot »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf