Author Topic: Easyjumper(TM) Multi-function Portable Car Jump Starter  (Read 19552 times)

Offline max666Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Easyjumper(TM) Multi-function Portable Car Jump Starter
« on: January 31, 2015, 12:19:51 am »
So I just watched Photonicinduction's commercial vid

Just wanna hear what you guys think?

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
Re: Easyjumper(TM) Multi-function Portable Car Jump Starter
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 02:50:06 am »
I do not trust the presentation.

I wonder how well things will work when 19v is connected to the car.

I am guessing the box has a bunch of hobby grade Li-Po batteries that will catch on fire.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 09:22:46 am »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 09:34:59 am »

Where's the teardown?  I feel cheated.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 10:12:39 am »
And no explosion (yet).

The notebook output and the laptop outputs are separate so you won't be seeing 19V on your car accumulator connections. I do however have concerns about the power density in that thing, a short circuit will dissipate a lot of energy in a very small space.

Li-Po, maybe, four in series will give you 14V,  or perhaps it uses vacuum energy  ;D
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 10:22:30 am »
Battery life, 3000 circles! Hilarious engrish.

Also, not sure that a modern diesel uses glow plugs when starting except in extreme cold.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:31:38 am by Someone »

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 10:31:25 am »

Most like the same.  Most electronics in a car can handle 19 volts for a good long time.  Voltage regulators on alternators often fail - and when they do, sometimes they go high for a while.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 10:47:27 am »
Car electrics have to survive a 24V jump start for 30s without failing ( headlamps and other bulbs exempt as they typically are disabled by the ignition switch during starting) so this likely is just 4 Lipo cells in series without a charge controller on the battery jump output. Looks like there is a big diode on the positive lead though, in the cable, probably to prevent charging from the alternator.

Funny thing is the SL engine uses a reduction starter, so the current drawn is not terribly high. If you want a real test use an older vehicle like a 1960's V8, which would have used a direct operating starter and a Bendix, not a pre engaged starter. Any V6 or V8 with a push button starter relay in the engine bay will severely test that unit, as those use a massive battery to supply the current needed.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 05:36:43 pm »
What's the peak discharge current for lead acid batteries? 10C?
So with Lithium-Ion-Cells capable of 45C and even 90C for a few seconds these days, I guess it would be technically possible to do this correctly. However somehow I doubt that this thing for £59.95 has cells capable for doing this. Plus if you connect it to a flat battery AND start the engine, the battery will suck it's fair share as well.

I would have thought the thing in the positive lead cable is some over current protection maybe ... curious to see what would happen if you short the leads.
During the last few seconds of the video I suspect Photon was tapping the leads a little, but the bastard doesn't really show it  :D

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 06:53:03 pm »
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?391602-what-LiFePO4-configuration-are-used-in-these-jump-start-power-banks
Teardowns reveal that the batteries are basically R/C batteries, and most likely the cheapest kind. Therefore, you might as well just buy some from Hobbyking and get a lot more for your dollar.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 07:18:59 pm »
Poorly managed Li-Po batteries are dangerous. Wondering if a respectable lab signed off on that CE label.

When operated at MAX current, the Li-Po's don't have much of a life from what (little) I know. At the asking price, I am guessing the cheapest cells available are in there. Not what I want in my engine compartment where in-extinguishable fire is not welcome.

Offline Zepnat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 09:02:40 pm »

I am guessing the box has a bunch of hobby grade Li-Po batteries that will catch on fire.

He's right nothing dodgy going on, we have a very similar jump pack at the garage where I work and I've used it a few times.

It's not designed to crank the car for any period just get enough power into the car to start it.

The 19v is probably a boost converter ours measures 12v on those clips probably 3 cells in series.

Ha probably so.

[/quote]
What's the peak discharge current for lead acid batteries? 10C?
So with Lithium-Ion-Cells capable of 45C and even 90C for a few seconds these days, I guess it would be technically possible to do this correctly. However somehow I doubt that this thing for £59.95 has cells capable for doing this. Plus if you connect it to a flat battery AND start the engine, the battery will suck it's fair share as well.

I would have thought the thing in the positive lead cable is some over current protection maybe ... curious to see what would happen if you short the leads.
During the last few seconds of the video I suspect Photon was tapping the leads a little, but the bastard doesn't really show it  :D

If the battery is totally flat I leave it connected for a minute to put some juice into the vehicle battery.

The thing in the positive lead is a bunch of schotky diodes probably to prevent the alternator charging the jump pack batteries when the car starts. I know this because they melted off the PCB when we were cranking a non running ford transit, a new a lead was needed! The clips are pretty poor by my standards, being made of plastic but seem to last ok. I don't think there's any over current protection.

I reckon max amps is around the 200 mark, ours will start any petrol engine and small (1.4-1.6) Diesel engines. It's been used it to start a couple of 2.0 diesels it cranked kinda slow but got them started easily enough.

If there's a underlying issue where the car won't start then this jump pack is no good. But if someone's left their lights on or if the battery is just too weak to start the engine then these come into their own.

So why bother might you say, what's wrong with a car battery and pair of jump leads?
Well convenience. I've had to carry a battery and leads 100yards around the back to get a motor going and it soon gets a chore. Plus customers are amazed when you pull this out your pocket and it gets their car going!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:06:20 pm by Zepnat »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 12:01:56 am »
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?391602-what-LiFePO4-configuration-are-used-in-these-jump-start-power-banks
Teardowns reveal that the batteries are basically R/C batteries, and most likely the cheapest kind. Therefore, you might as well just buy some from Hobbyking and get a lot more for your dollar.
Thanks for pointing out that thread! Interesting read  ;D
So yeah, apparently schottky diodes in the positive lead, no current protection, and cheap Li-Ion packs ... why am I not surprised.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 02:31:29 am »
It looks like they are at least balance-charging the cells, but one test in the linked thread reveals only 2400mAh capacity.

Their ability to catch fire is certainly scary:
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51563
(That fire was caused by unbalanced charging...)

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 05:25:07 pm »
Yep. I would never want that stored in the back of my car, just above the fuel tank.

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 06:25:27 pm »
Not buying it...literally and figuratively...
A lot of batteries that go bad only have a single dead cell killing the whole battery.  Doesn't take a lot of external juice to cover for that dead cell and get it going again...until the next time you turn it off.
In addition, all other things being equal, it's not going to take a whole lot of juice to turn over an engine that's otherwise in good shape in decent weather.
Not like this thing is even remotely going to fire up an engine that's 100,000 miles overdue for a tune-up, been sitting out all night, -20F outside, low grade gas, and so on.  You know...when you need it most...
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 08:50:45 pm »

There's not 19V connected to the car. It's 3 lithium cells in series, so around 12V.  |O

Also, not sure that a modern diesel uses glow plugs when starting except in extreme cold.

Yes they do. My car is one touch start and the glowplug light illuminates briefly before it cranks the engine. Remember at this time of year in the UK it's around freezing point anyway.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 06:13:11 am »
This unit probably is designed to jump start an electric car.  After you get the car started, you can recharge this unit by the car's engine...

Carry one of this on board, the limited range of electric cars will be a thing of the past.

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 09:05:24 am »
I tore down a powerall rosso but still haven't gotten around to editing the vids.

Yup, it is a 3s lipo pack. Yes, its balance charged, no, there doesn't appear to be any sort of current or voltage protection on the 12v output beyond what is provided by a bunch of parallel mosfets in a little case on the cable which are there for reverse polarity protection, and yes, it works.

When I was researching them I came across a lot of auto mechanics who had one version or another of the LiIon powered ones (no, not AGM LED acid) that they'd use to jump multiple cars a day for diagnosis.

One reason to use a product like these instead of a RC pack, its pretty much self contained. Downside is that you probably shouldn't leave them in your car until you need them because of self discharge and the toll of overheating them.  If you live somewhere with cold winters and leave it in the car, you may find you need to warm it up under your clothes for a while before you can get enough juice to deal with a cold engine.

Offline Zepnat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 10:01:23 pm »
Not buying it...literally and figuratively...
A lot of batteries that go bad only have a single dead cell killing the whole battery.  Doesn't take a lot of external juice to cover for that dead cell and get it going again...until the next time you turn it off.
In addition, all other things being equal, it's not going to take a whole lot of juice to turn over an engine that's otherwise in good shape in decent weather.
Not like this thing is even remotely going to fire up an engine that's 100,000 miles overdue for a tune-up, been sitting out all night, -20F outside, low grade gas, and so on.  You know...when you need it most...

Hmm resisting the sarcastic temptation to say if that's how you treat your cars you shouldn't have one in the first place I feel the purpose of this is exactly as you say, to provide a quick shot of power 150-200amps isn't going to blow any doors off but will get a car with a poorly battery going again.

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 04:00:22 am »
This unit probably is designed to jump start an electric car.  After you get the car started, you can recharge this unit by the car's engine...

Carry one of this on board, the limited range of electric cars will be a thing of the past.

Carry two of these on board, the unlimited range of electric cars will be a thing of the future  :-DD
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 05:49:40 am »
I wish I had something like this the couple of times we somehow managed to drain the 12V battery in our hybrid. Hundreds of pounds of charged NiMH batteries held hostage because the dinky 12V didn't have enough juice to power up the control system.

Offline Kevman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 06:35:34 pm »

Where's the teardown?  I feel cheated.

The Amazon link that cs.dk posted actually has an interior shot if you're curious.

A more reputable version of this is the Noco Genius Boost. Noco has an excellent reputation as a car charger manufacturer (though mine causes FM radio interference...) The boost charges via USB, which is funny to me.

I doubt any of these would be able to start my dad's Power Stroke. Or most of our tractors, for that matter.

Car electrics have to survive a 24V jump start for 30s without failing ( headlamps and other bulbs exempt as they typically are disabled by the ignition switch during starting) so this likely is just 4 Lipo cells in series without a charge controller on the battery jump output. Looks like there is a big diode on the positive lead though, in the cable, probably to prevent charging from the alternator.

Funny thing is the SL engine uses a reduction starter, so the current drawn is not terribly high. If you want a real test use an older vehicle like a 1960's V8, which would have used a direct operating starter and a Bendix, not a pre engaged starter. Any V6 or V8 with a push button starter relay in the engine bay will severely test that unit, as those use a massive battery to supply the current needed.

Reduction starters still have a Bendix. In fact, its more important for gear reduced starters to have them because the gear ratio is even higher. And people use a 24v jump starter on a 12v car? I've never heard of such a thing.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 06:53:52 pm »
I doubt it can handle jumping my car when its dead flat.
Maxwell super capacitors are a dead short when flat.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 07:21:19 pm »
Reduction starters still have a Bendix. In fact, its more important for gear reduced starters to have them because the gear ratio is even higher. And people use a 24v jump starter on a 12v car? I've never heard of such a thing.

You never met a tow truck driver? That is a common thing they do to jump start a car very quickly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf