Author Topic: EEPROM programmer I²C / SPI / Microwire etc  (Read 7107 times)

Offline FivePoint0Topic starter

• Contributor
EEPROM programmer I²C / SPI / Microwire etc
« on: February 25, 2015, 11:12:19 pm »
I'd like to be able to program the odd I²C EEPROM / SPI EEPROM / Microwire EEPROM, you know 24C08, 93C66 etc.

I don't need to do it often and use Pony-Prog (which I love) on an old XP laptop on a serial port!.  I use HxD hex editor when I need to modify files.

How can I replace the system described above on a Win 7 machine?

Cheap is good because I only rarely find myself doing this.

Can Bus Pirate v4.0 do it?

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
Re: EEPROM programmer I²C / SPI / Microwire etc
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 05:47:59 am »
This might :)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/cheap-easy-i2c-dev-kit/msg618200/#msg618200

Prototype board info:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/cheap-easy-i2c-dev-kit/msg617096/#msg617096

But you have to write your own winUSB program because the test program provided only allows you to program random values to the EEPROM.

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:34:04 am »
VirtualBox is your friend: it is free and all your stuff will continue to work on an XP machine inside your Windows7/8 one. Just need an USB to serial I/F.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:35:48 am by Gixy »

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 01:59:02 pm »
Pony Prog still works on Win7 (so I've read). See: http://ponyprog.sourceforge.net/phorum/read.php?2,2249

You might be surprised to see that your modern computer actually has a real hardware serial port. It is unlikely that there is a DE-9 connector on the back panel, but there might be a header on the motherboard to which you attach one of these. Check the documentation or look for the port options in the BIOS (you may need to enable it in the BIOS before it will work). I don't know how well a USB-serial adapter will work since ponyprog probably toggles the handshaking lines at a high rate. It may or may not (probably slow if it works at all).

Bus Pirate will work to read and write the EEPROM, but you won't be able to just load and burn a .hex file. Bus Pirate is intended as a console device, giving you command-based access to the I2C bus. So you can issue the appropriate commands to write data to the EEPROM or read from it, but it doesn't do this automagically. A person could certainly write a script to parse a .hex file and create a listing of commands to dump into the Bus Pirate terminal window...

Offline extensie

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 09:41:08 pm »
I used BusPirate v4.0 to automagically debrick an AtTiny85 on a Gemma using avr-dude and a .hex file so it's certainly possible.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 12:48:27 am »
VirtualBox is your friend: it is free and all your stuff will continue to work on an XP machine inside your Windows7/8 one. Just need an USB to serial I/F.
That unlikely to work. Ponyprog needs real com port.

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 06:36:48 am »
Icd2 works like a charm in these conditions. If there is no real com port on the PC, COM1-4 should be useable by USB to serial virtual port.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 01:52:52 pm »
Icd2 works like a charm in these conditions. If there is no real com port on the PC, COM1-4 should be useable by USB to serial virtual port.
Of course ICD2 works because uses a native com port protocol. Ponyprog uses bit-banging. What it does is I2C / microwire / SPI over COM/LPT port hardware.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 02:04:10 pm by wraper »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf