Author Topic: Ersa icon nano vs GOOT RX 802AS  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Wolfram.ChromeTopic starter

• Contributor
  • !
  • https://goo.gl/h2GXKY
Ersa icon nano vs GOOT RX 802AS
« on: February 01, 2016, 01:03:38 pm »
delete this thread
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:31:37 pm by Wolfram.Chrome »

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
Re: Ersa icon nano vs GOOT RX 802AS
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 03:07:08 pm »
What do you mean by "sucks with fine tips"?

I have the Nano for several years now and no problems, it works great. Fine tips and SMD soldering are just fine with it. I am using leaded solder, though.

On the other hand, if you use a teeensy conical tip for normal soldering, even the most expensive station will "suck" - the fine conical tips simply don't transfer enough heat to make a good joint in most cases. Dave has made several videos on this.

My guess is that those "guys around internet" have bought the finest conical tip for the ERSA they could get their hands on thinking it is necessary for SMD work and then were surprised that it actually isn't that great - because it is the wrong tool for the job. I am soldering SMDs, even fine 0.5mm ones using a regular chisel tip (the one the station came with - about 2.5mm wide) and switching to a small conical one only for things like resistors or caps in difficult to access areas where a chisel is unwieldy (and the worse heat transfer doesn't matter because I am heating only a tiny pad).

The only peeve I have with the Nano is the cable to the wand. It is not the nice soft silicon one that even my cheap-ass Solomon station has. However, that is a minor problem at best.

ERSA is a well known German brand, you can safely buy the station without worrying about your money. Moreover, the Nano is a continuation of their i-Con series of stations, they actually use the same wands. It is a known quantity and well tested. I am actually surprised at the price, I have bought my Nano for more than the Goot costs.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 03:23:01 pm by janoc »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf