Author Topic: Ersatz Hakko FX-951  (Read 4598 times)

Offline pfrcomTopic starter

• Contributor
Ersatz Hakko FX-951
« on: September 25, 2015, 08:44:50 am »
http://www.banggood.com/HAKKO-FX-951-Style-230V-AU-Plug-Solder-Soldering-Iron-Station-p-932704.html

Anyone have any experience with these ?

I'm very tempted - FWIW, has a couple of positive reviews - and it includes a tip  :-+

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
Re: Ersatz Hakko FX-951
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 08:48:26 am »
its a poor quality fake

chinese T12 cartridges are fine on its own, but chinese fake stations tend to have shit controllers that lie about temperature
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 09:23:16 am »
Wow, they've gotten bold with these copies, haven't they? They don't even pretend it's real anymore. Very sleazy.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 12:35:01 pm »
Wow, they've gotten bold with these copies, haven't they? They don't even pretend it's real anymore. Very sleazy.

I agree with John, very sleazy.  If you really want a Hakko FX-951, buy the real thing.  I know it's expensive but it is worth the money.  If you haven't seen it, here is a review I did when I got mine:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/hakko-fx-951-review/
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 12:37:53 pm »
But how can they get away with that? It seems Hakko is doing shit to stop the counterfeiters, no wonder they are copied that much  |O

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 12:49:24 pm »
What can they do? Go to war with China? They're really powerless, though I did notice that they put a counterfeit notice on their website. Unless China steps up and works to stop the counterfeiting, there's really very little a country like Japan could do. I'm not even sure the US has enough influence to do anything. Counterfeit aircraft hardware is big business, and a big problem. Very dangerous, and we can't even manage to stop that. Believe me, aircraft hardware is documented far better than a stupid soldering iron, but somehow counterfeits keep showing up.

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 12:57:28 pm »
I've always wondered that. Is it really perfectly legal in China to do such obvious counterfeiting? Aren't there any laws against that?  :-//
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 01:02:56 pm by continuo »

Offline thefamilyman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 06:26:04 am »
I recently got a whole bunch of T12 tips from Banggood (something like 10 tips for the same price as one genuine T12 tip).
Unfortunately for me that none of them work in my genuine Hakko FX-950, the LED just flashes and the tip wont heat up.
I contacted Banggood and they in turn contacted the supplier; turns out that the tips will only work in their "hakko" copy and not a genuine hakko (they mentioned something about a feedback sensor).
Got a refund quick smart, still like Banggood.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 11:43:31 am »
I really want to know what it is about Hakko that everyone wants to copy it.  You don't see other models being copied-OK, Thermaltronics is a legit company making their own products based on Metcal expired patents.  That's not blatant copy.  Time and time again, I have read here people having issues with copied/cloned Hakko something or other.

I've always wondered that. Is it really perfectly legal in China to do such obvious counterfeiting? Aren't there any laws against that?  :-//

If not legal, the gov't is probably getting their share from taxing the companies doing the cloning.  Money talks so they will continue to turn the blind eye.  The only thing that will fix that is if we as the consumers stop buying the cheap copied/cloned crap.  I don't see that happening because too many are concerned only with price not total cost of ownership.  I understand times are hard, I have had to sell off stuff to get my real 951 and MX-500.  In the age of instant gratification, patience truly is a virtue and those who want it now as cheap as possible, get what they ask for.  Everyone has to remember the golden rule-cheap, fast or good-pick 2.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Fat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 02:04:39 pm »
Hakko has filed suit on some of them, but there are so many they can't keep up.  They did get a judgement on one that I know of, and a stop order for using Hakko branding.  That's about worthless in China, but is pretty enforceable in other countries if someone sets up a sales center to sell them.

We don't help matters when we refer to them as clones.  They are not clones, but a different animal designed to look like the original. Performance will vary by maker and date of production as moving a product is more important than quality control for most of them.

Fat

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 05:05:11 pm »
I really want to know what it is about Hakko that everyone wants to copy it.

It's the Ikea colors, they look so cute   ^-^

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 07:06:09 pm »
I really want to know what it is about Hakko that everyone wants to copy it.
It's the Ikea colors, they look so cute   ^-^

It IS the most colorful thing on my workbench  :palm:

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 01:06:39 am »
But how can they get away with that? It seems Hakko is doing shit to stop the counterfeiters, no wonder they are copied that much  |O
Check out Hakko website they are in court with counterfeits very actively and won most cases in China.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf