Author Topic: Which GTX 970 card to buy?  (Read 3787 times)

Online NiHaoMikeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Which GTX 970 card to buy?
« on: September 22, 2014, 05:15:54 am »
I recently upgraded my monitor to 4K and now I'm looking for a GPU to replace my aging 560 Ti. I decided on the 970 since the 980 only performs 10-20% better but costs almost double.

* Use cases are a lot of desktop work at 4K, some gaming at 1080p 120Hz, and maybe a few CUDA/GPGPU apps. The last part is what I think might be most stressful on the card since it could be running more or less full load for hours or days. Little or no overclocking.
* How helpful are more phases as far as long term reliability go? What about digital vs. analog VRM controllers? I plan to keep using it in my main machine for a few years just like the 560 Ti before it, plus I reuse old cards in older machines. In other words, I hold onto GPUs (and computer hardware in general) until they can no longer serve a useful purpose.
* Are the multi fan coolers really that much better than the reference design style coolers? I do know that the multi fan designs generally put a lot of heat into the case, but the machine I'm putting it in has excellent ventilation.
* I would prefer a card with physical dimensions no bigger than about 10" x 5". More than that and I might have to relocate some other parts in order for it to fit.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline olewales

• Regular Contributor
Re: Which GTX 970 card to buy?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 07:11:19 am »
I haven't tried any recent card with reference cooling (I guess they must have improved it over the years) but I have always had an excellent experience with ASUS GPU's, especially with their "DirectCU" cooling. Their GTX970 card also seems to get good reviews. http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics_Cards/STRIXGTX970DC2OC4GD5/overview/ Dimensions are a bit bigger than your specified maximum though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf