Author Topic: Fake Hakko Solder Tips  (Read 12245 times)

Offline FatTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Fake Hakko Solder Tips
« on: March 29, 2015, 06:10:10 am »
I have been using a Chinese copy of the Hakko 937 for a few years now.  It has worked well for me and I have been happy with it.  I recently purchased a real Hakko FX-888D.  It has been a great iron.  Much easier to solder with and I haven't overrun it's capabilities like I did with the copy of the 937. I'm very happy with it.

While cleaning out my collection of tips I notice I had quite a few non-Hakko tips.  Some aoyue, a few Plato and some that said "Hakko Made in Japan" on the side.  They didn't come in anything that even resembled the proper Hakko packaging, most just came in a small plastic bag.

As I sort through them to determine what to keep, I found a "Hakko" tip that was not that old or well used.  I tried to clean it up a bit and retin it, but it kept oxidizing in spots.  My best guess is this one is a fake.  The ones I bought with the iron, clean and then tin right up.  So I chucked it.  Live and learn, the cheap stuff isn't really that cheap when you factor in solderability and useful life.

Has anyone used Plato tips on a genuine Hakko?  I know very little about them.  Are they keepers (both are still new) or junkers?

Thanks,
Fat

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: Fake Hakko Solder Tips
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 10:10:58 am »
Never used them, however elsewhere on the net they are reported to work fine. If you look around you can get the genuine Hakko tips for around $5 so unless your chewing through the tips there is not much reason to buy the other couple of brands. Won't hurt to keep those tips as spares.

I don't live in the land of cheap Hakko, so I have Hakko tips on clone stations. Most peoples skill lags behind their eagerness to criticize.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 11:39:25 pm »
Has anyone used Plato tips on a genuine Hakko?

Real Plato tips are very good. As a matter of fact some of your real Hakko tips are made by Plato, :)

I have used quite a few fake Hakko tips and getting over-oxidized has not been my experience. For me, the fake is just as good as the real one.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 04:15:48 am »

Real Plato tips are very good. As a matter of fact some of your real Hakko tips are made by Plato, :)
Actual proof? Or just the word of a sales rep?  :-//

I ask, as all the Plato tips I've ever seen were made in Costa Rica, and all the genuine Hakko's made in Japan.

For disclosure, my experiences with Plato tips have been good.  :)

Offline cat87

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 06:36:18 am »
I have had a recent experience with fake Hakko tips so I thought I might share. Having also recently bought an FX-888, I decided to buy from eBay some extra tips. When they came,  looked  as though they were original i.e. nice packaging with the Hakko name on it. But when I took them out, they looked like crap. I then did some research and found out that although fake and  genuine Hakko packages resemble each other, the difference is that the real ones have  the blue  "Hakko" watermark , where as the fake ones have it with yellow.

Offline android

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 07:21:22 am »
I still have the original ball tip that came with my Hakko 936ESD in 2003 and - 12 years later, with occasional (say weekly) use - it's still as good as the day I bought it. A genuine replacement from Element14, RS Components or Mektronics costs between $8 and $12 AUD. So, for me, that works out at around $1 per year. Even though it seems attractive to by 10 tips for $10 on ebay, I think you'd still be better off getting just one known genuine tip.
Lecturer: "There is no language in which a double positive implies a negative."
Student:  "Yeah...right."

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 07:26:57 am »
I started with the finest tip I could find that Hakko made and bent / dulled it.  Did the same to a second one.  Then I figured out that these tips are a bad idea and switched to a Hakko chisel tip and I don't think I have thrown one away yet.  I think it was actually Dave who schooled me on that, plus a few other Youtube videos.  I am much better at soldering now too.  I think the tip geometry matters the most.  Use one built like a tank and it will last forever.
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 07:30:36 am »
I still have the original ball tip that came with my Hakko 936ESD in 2003 and - 12 years later, with occasional (say weekly) use - it's still as good as the day I bought it.

I've recently replaced the tip that came with my Hakko 926 which I was given new in about 1989 (I was in 10th grade). Genuine tips at $15 seem pretty cheap when you look at how long they actually last.

Offline gmit77

• Regular Contributor
  • !
    • Batter Fly
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 09:00:59 am »

I have used quite a few fake Hakko tips and getting over-oxidized has not been my experience. For me, the fake is just as good as the real one.
hello, are you sure Plato makes tips for hakko?
I was in Japan last january and visited HAKKO Tip manufacturing building (actually they have two, one in Osaka and one a bit west side)
I saw all models production lines.
As said in a different thread HAKKO is still making the 900 series and it is still the biggest in volume.
I will double check about Plato.
Batter Fly
never stop innovating

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 04:36:59 pm »
When looking for Hakko tips 'on the interwebs', what's the minimum price under which one can begin to reasonably suspect that it's about a fake?

Offline gmit77

• Regular Contributor
  • !
    • Batter Fly
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 05:21:14 pm »
When looking for Hakko tips 'on the interwebs', what's the minimum price under which one can begin to reasonably suspect that it's about a fake?
In Italy we say "it is like asking to the wine store owner if the wine is good" :)
We priced T18 around 5 Euro, I guess in such range they are original.
Batter Fly
never stop innovating

Offline cain

• The Fixer of Things
    • Lojix Net - Digital Services
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 05:24:51 pm »
Never used them, however elsewhere on the net they are reported to work fine. If you look around you can get the genuine Hakko tips for around $5 so unless your chewing through the tips there is not much reason to buy the other couple of brands. Won't hurt to keep those tips as spares.

I don't live in the land of cheap Hakko, so I have Hakko tips on clone stations. Most peoples skill lags behind their eagerness to criticize.

Do you have a good source for HAKKO tips in Australia?
Tech Enthusiast - Lojix Net

Web Browsing Powered By Firefox

Offline kolonelkadat

• Regular Contributor
  • Obviously, windows are central to Windows.
    • Force Project X
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 06:22:43 pm »
in USA T18 tips are around $5 from a reputable brick and mortar store. I wouldnt go bargain hunting on some random website. I wouldnt judge "genuineness" of an item by its price either.

Offline FatTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 07:01:11 pm »

I think that's another issue, fake tips being sold as the real deal at Hakko prices.  I just bought two ultra fine chisels (T18-D0.8) from a confirmed Hakko dealer (online) at $9.65 US each, shipped.

They arrived in the correct Hakko color bag, I haven't used them yet, but intend to tonight.  They appear to be great tips, tinned and symmetrical, and they fit on the wand correctly.  I've had "Hakko" no name replacement tips that are either too long or short to fit the wand correctly.

Fat

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 12:50:17 am »
Do you have a good source for HAKKO tips in Australia?

RS, Farknell, Mektronics..

Offline cain

• The Fixer of Things
    • Lojix Net - Digital Services
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 03:42:07 am »

Thanks BradC. I checked out RS but their prices are just ridiculous unless buying in bulk with a trade account. Mektronics seems a bit more reasonable.

Cheers!
Tech Enthusiast - Lojix Net

Web Browsing Powered By Firefox

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 07:02:15 am »

Thanks BradC. I checked out RS but their prices are just ridiculous unless buying in bulk with a trade account. Mektronics seems a bit more reasonable.

I have a "trade" account and mostly end up paying whatever the price is in the catalogue (same as on the web site). I used to get upset about this kind of thing, but after 20 years of trying to nickel and dime a couple of dollars here and there I've actually figured out that the free next day delivery is most often worth the extra $$, and I _know_ I'm getting a genuine product that will last the distance.

I actually buy more stuff from RS these days than I do from Altronics or Jaycar. I just know what I'm getting with RS (particularly with low ESR or MLCC caps!). Mektronics are good too, and they have pretty worthwhile specials every month or so. They just don't do free next day delivery.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 07:24:24 am »
I had a friend bring over a few dozen tips from the US, tequipment.net do a forum discount and many of their T18 range are just over $5 US. The exchange rate sucks a little now but that was about the best around.

Frys in the US have a small selection, but otherwise reasonably priced. Forget Europe prices unless it's royal mail from UK and without VAT.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 07:36:47 am »
I had a friend bring over a few dozen tips from the US,

Please take this in good humour, but what do you do with them? A few dozen? I use mine daily and I'm lucky to damage a genuine Hakko tip in _years_. I probably have 5 or 6 shapes that I swap around and a couple of spare handles with tips I use all the time, but I'd be lucky to buy a replacement for one of them every year or so. Aoyue tips are a different story, but the Genuine Hakko ones just seem to last forever.

Same since I switched my Aoyue desoldering gun to Hakko tips and consumables, they just last and last.

Offline yami759

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 07:44:42 am »
Has anyone used Plato tips on a genuine Hakko?  I know very little about them.  Are they keepers (both are still new) or junkers?

Recently I also finally picked up the FX-888D and purchased this Plato tip for it (even more expensive than an actual Hakko!). It is one of those solder-well SMD tips Dave showed off in his soldering tutorial. This kind of tip is not offered in the T18 line of tips (they have one similar with a flat face, without a well - I believe the well is a trademark or something of that sort, and they cannot manufacture them), so i was forced to go 3rd party. In Dave's video, the tip he shows off actually seems different from the other Hakkos, indicating it is also 3rd party. I haven't used this tip very much in particular yet, but so far I have no problem with it, and might even pick up a larger vesion of it (the one I ordered is a lot smaller diameter than I had thought). If anything, the tolerance difference with the tips fitting on the iron is ever, ever so slightly more wiggle-ish. Only noticeable if you are actually trying to notice it, as it is hardly anything at all, and is not a problem at all.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:51:31 am by yami759 »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 08:29:19 am »
Recently I also finally picked up the FX-888D and purchased this Plato tip for it (even more expensive than an actual Hakko!).
The Hakko 900M-T-3CM costs more than the Plato (drag tips tend to be run more than more common profiles, such as chisels IME).  :o  :P

Offline lpc32

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 10:02:57 am »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/fake-hakko-tip-size-and-relative-quality/

The fake one I have has bad surface finish, also on the very tip. Checking with a magnet, the material is different from a real Hakko.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 01:54:40 pm »
I had a friend bring over a few dozen tips from the US,

Please take this in good humour, but what do you do with them? A few dozen? I use mine daily and I'm lucky to damage a genuine Hakko tip in _years_. I probably have 5 or 6 shapes that I swap around and a couple of spare handles with tips I use all the time, but I'd be lucky to buy a replacement for one of them every year or so. Aoyue tips are a different story, but the Genuine Hakko ones just seem to last forever.

Same since I switched my Aoyue desoldering gun to Hakko tips and consumables, they just last and last.

I have four Yihua 936 soldering stations. I believe total cost was $70 shipped to the door. I have two sets of 10 genuine tips and a few of the expensive oddball ones, a tad more than $100 worth. Combine that with my $10 knockoff Hakko iron thermometer and genuine Hakko brass wool (was on sale).

The whole setup ended up cheaper than any Hakko FX888 brought here, and I can repair anything that dies myself. I may use the other set for lead free but otherwise they are spares or for when I have two work spaces.

Edit: 639 posts what a coincidence.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:59:16 pm by Shock »

Offline yami759

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 05:05:06 pm »
Recently I also finally picked up the FX-888D and purchased this Plato tip for it (even more expensive than an actual Hakko!).
The Hakko 900M-T-3CM costs more than the Plato (drag tips tend to be run more than more common profiles, such as chisels IME).  :o  :P
(Noob question) Wait, do the 900M tips fit T18 series irons?  :o

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 05:21:51 pm »
(Noob question) Wait, do the 900M tips fit T18 series irons?  :o

Yes the 900M series is compatible with the T18 series. But you want to use a T18 tip in both cases if possible, as better thermal recovery.

Source:
http://www.hakkousa.com/T18-900M_cross.asp

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf