Author Topic: Looking for a delicate wire stripper.  (Read 3630 times)

Offline MarkSTopic starter

• Supporter
Looking for a delicate wire stripper.
« on: June 25, 2023, 12:24:18 pm »
I need a wire stripper that can strip fine gauge stranded wire. I have something very similar to this, but it mangles all wires, regardless of gauge. The setting knob doesn't seem to do anything. I'm tired of fighting with this. What would be an ideal wire stripper? Recommend the plyer style and I'll reach through the computer and slap you! :box:

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for a delicate wire stripper.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 12:35:15 pm »
how fine are we talking, 34awg?  :-DD

I much prefer this 'style' of wire stripper, but i cant give you any specific model or brand recommendation.
You tend to get what you pay for

https://www.knipex.com/products/wire-strippers-and-stripping-tools/knipex-multistrip-10-automatic-insulation-stripper/knipex-multistrip-automatic-insulation-stripper/1242195
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 12:39:08 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2023, 12:54:21 pm »
Stripax as a general use stripper is so much better that Knipex multistrip 10. Although it won't go down to 30 AWG Kynar wire which barely any strippers can strip reliably due to very thin insulation.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 01:22:44 pm »
Stripax as a general use stripper is so much better that Knipex multistrip 10. Although it won't go down to 30 AWG Kynar wire which barely any strippers can strip reliably due to very thin insulation.
There is a "stripax" specifically for small wires: 9003500000
But it's eye-watringly expensive and not automatic like you might expect. Dont bother.

A full size stripax with the segmented blades (such as 9005000000) although rated for 28AWG will do finer wire ok, but the clamping distorts/crimps/bends the wire pretty drastically. I should get another and try smoothing off the jaws.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 02:36:58 pm »

The one I linked is exactly what I use for 30 AWG Kynar wire.

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 02:53:19 pm »
choose one of these from 18 to 36AWG. they works very well...
https://jokari.de/en/praecisionwirestripper.htm

The following users thanked this post: Howardlong, audiotubes

Offline antenna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 03:39:46 pm »
Find a kit like this that has a big wire stripper and a little wire stripper...

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2023, 05:01:32 pm »
For small gauge wire, whether stranded or solid, you can't use any adjustable or automatic wire stripper.  The wire is just too fragile.

If the standard strippers shown earlier in this thread aren't acceptable, you can step up to strippers that are designed for use on fiber optic cables.  Although they often look like cheap, one-size, strippers, they're better built.  There is also a "NO-NIK" line of fiber strippers that have a different look but apparently work well.  Note that fiber strippers can be expensive due to the precision required.

Ed

The following users thanked this post: MarkS

Offline Arts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2023, 07:05:55 pm »
I use Patco thermal wire strippers, specifically the PTS-30 Series. This model is designed to strip Teflon insulation, but can also be used with conventional insulation if you are quick on the trigger and keep the heat down.  Stripping elements are available for many applications, with the (for example) P/N 0030-002 element being suitable for stripping 30-40 AWG wire.

If you have no requirements for Teflon, the PTS-10 model is a great option.

https://patcoinc.net/product-category/pts-30-series/

The following users thanked this post: Electro Fan, Neomys Sapiens

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2023, 09:29:57 pm »
I use Patco thermal wire strippers, specifically the PTS-30 Series. This model is designed to strip Teflon insulation, but can also be used with conventional insulation if you are quick on the trigger and keep the heat down.  Stripping elements are available for many applications, with the (for example) P/N 0030-002 element being suitable for stripping 30-40 AWG wire.

FYI Teflon when melted releases neurotoxin gasses. I don't think this is a good idea.
OP, For fine wires use strippers like these:

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2023, 01:54:45 am »
For small gauge wire, whether stranded or solid, you can't use any adjustable or automatic wire stripper.  The wire is just too fragile.
Stripax seems to manage ok, and other brands have rated operation down to AWG 30-something.

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2023, 02:39:21 am »
Ideal Stripmaster 45-672 has worked well for me (but I’ve only used it for 24 AWG).  I managed to snag one for $35 on eBay.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2023, 02:41:02 am »
Outstanding wire stripper.  Holds sharpness, easily repeatably precise, thoroughly dependable.  No muss, no fuss, just perfecto every time.  Marketed under both Greenlee and Paladin brands.  Easily precisely strips all the way to 30 AWG Kynar wire.  Also available in a big brother size wire stripper (same overall tool size just handles larger 10-24 AWG diameter wires).  Available on Amazon as a 2 tool set for $30.   Hard to imagine a reason to buy any other wire strippers.

https://www.jensentools.com/greenlee-pa1118-stripper-wire-progrip-20-ergonomic-30-20-awg/p/618pl1118

Offline aeberbach

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2023, 02:48:01 am »
The kind with multiple holes along the jaws. Engineer and Hakko brand are good and economical examples.

https://www.amazon.com/Engineer-PA-14-Stripper-universal-crimping/dp/B001YHELPS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1SC8ZWYX4J3WV&keywords=engineer+wire+stripper&qid=1687747476&sprefix=engineer+wire+strip%2Caps%2C368&sr=8-2

I have the Jonard ST-550 style where you insert the wire in the end and squeeze the sides, believe mine is branded CK. They don't do as well. Years ago I saw a 30AWG specific stripper in this style and it was just about perfect but I have never seen one for sale. Now I see Jokari make a dedicated AWG30 and I want them...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 02:50:28 am by aeberbach »
Software guy studying B.Eng.

Offline MarkSTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2023, 11:09:03 pm »
Thank you, everyone. My experience with the scissor (plyer) style has been resoundingly negative. They work great when you know the wire gauge, not so much when you're guessing. If I'm working on my own project and using wire I bought, no problem. If I'm fixing something and am not sure of the wire gauge, then I end up damaging more wire than actually stripping it. |O

Offline Shonky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2023, 11:23:41 pm »
You just start on the larger size if unsure and if it doesn't strip move down one until it does cleanly...

Offline GLouie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2023, 01:49:08 am »
I was raised on Ideal/Klein plier-style and never liked any automatic stripper, especially for fine work with short and/or fine wires.

I also estimate the size and try a best guess hole, moving bigger or smaller as indicated. Yes, it means doing a test on some scrap. An additional complication is that some manufacturers (Klein) mark their gauge holes depending on whether solid or stranded wire, so a 16ga stranded is much larger that a 16ga solid hole. I seldom look at the number on the tool, I just estimate and test.

The following users thanked this post: audiotubes

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2023, 02:40:50 am »
+1 for GLouie's "estimate and test"
+1 for Shonky's "start on larger size if unsure and if it doesn't strip move down one until it does cleanly..."

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2023, 06:34:16 am »
My usage is very rare for fine wire.  I am using the wire-wrap tool that has a stripper on it.

Offline Roehrenonkel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2023, 07:38:17 am »
Hi MarkS, hi all,

i'm also not a fan of "automatic"-strippers.
My No.1 is the Bernstein (made in good old West-Germany) in VDE-version and the other one for at home.  You can even change the blades.
The cimco is (sometimes) automatic but can't do Rubber- or PTFE-Isolations.
Bottom one in red/black is just rubbish, i touched it just once.
The Jokari-stuff on the left is for stripping the outer jacket.
For really fine wires (PTFE/ETFE) i use the PWS-Plus or the tool that came with my wire-wrapping-pen.

One stripper is never enough. ;-)))

Offline Arts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2023, 09:01:42 pm »

FYI Teflon when melted releases neurotoxin gasses. I don't think this is a good idea.
OP, For fine wires use strippers like these:

FYI: You should do proper research into the topic and the product before making ignorant comments.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2023, 10:25:44 pm »
Both Bernstein and Erem have Wire stripping pliers specially made for small wires:
Bernstein 3-835-2
Erem 510E
Also OK Industries P21-CH
(have all three, would use the EREM for the most delicate work)
I also use the Jonard ST-500 and Stripmaster-type tools with various custom blades, but most of the latter end at #28.
EREM also has some fine wire-stripping tweezers (#29W and others) which deserve a look.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 10:28:20 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2023, 10:47:54 am »
choose one of these from 18 to 36AWG. they works very well...
https://jokari.de/en/praecisionwirestripper.htm

Another vote for these, especially when doing bulk crimping for Dupont to get the strip length repeatable and correct. It also has a super convenient wire cutting feature. The wire size mm/AWG conversion is written on the tool itself, and the diameter is dialled in on a slider with detents at each of the the marked wire gauges.

The strip length guide slider doesn't have detents, and the minimum guided strip length on the Jokaris is 1.5mm.

There are three basic versions.

PWS-PLUS 001, Mfr# 40024, 26-36 AWG, white thumb push
PWS-PLUS 002, Mfr# 40025, 20-30 AWG, red thumb push
PWS-PLUS 003, Mfr# 40026, 18-28 AWG, blue thumb push

There are also some ESD safe versions for a premium.

Knipex have almost identical tools except for a 30% price hike, the colour, and one key negative difference: the minimum strip when using the guide is 4mm, i.e., too long for Dupont. You can gauge shorter strips manually of course, either by "feel" or chopping off the excess with the integrated cutting feature: this operated with the same thumb lever as the stripper, with its jaws on the bottom of the device.

PWS-PLUS 001 Mfr# 12 80 040, 26-36 AWG
PWS-PLUS 003 Mfr# 12 80 100, 18-28 AWG

CK Tools have this one, but unlike the others I don't have it myself so can't comment in detail other than it's priced between the Jokari and Knipex versions.

Strip-Plus Mfr# 330012, 20-30 AWG

Both the Jokari and Knipex are made in Germany. I don't know about the CK Tools.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 10:56:05 am by Howardlong »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf