Author Topic: 1TB USB stick storage  (Read 2047 times)

Offline FMpersiaTopic starter

1TB USB stick storage
« on: July 16, 2017, 04:04:18 pm »
Hey EEV people, i am a medical student with interest in electronics. i put toghether my own pc and swapout components and very basic stuff. I saw usb stick storage with 1tb capacity. is this any good or is it going to takes ages to read and write the last MB 's of capacity?

And what is the diference of memory chips in SSD and usb and DRAM and SRAM?
Sorry, it seems a stupied q? for an engereer, but i don't know. anyone care to share knowledge?

thanx

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
Re: 1TB USB stick storage
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 04:06:30 pm »
I'm sure you can find the specifications for that specific model. Read/write speeds of all kind (small segments, large files) will be displayed there.

I would expect it to be slower than most SSDs, or hugely expensive.

Not an expert into the inner construction of memory chips, but someone will help out. :)

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 04:09:30 pm »
DRAM is dynamic ram, it stores the information with a capacitor and therefore needs to be refreshed and reading is is destructive, which also means a refresh is needed. But its cheap.
SRAM is static ram. The information is stored inside a flipflop. It uses more space and costs more. But it needs no refresh circuit.
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline johnkeates

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 01:37:10 am »
Do not get extremely large USB sticks! Online, most of them are fakes, and those that are not fakes will have the same issues that all USB drives have:

- they break easily (yes, the metal ones too)
- they wear out easily (not enough space for multiple chips, and even over provisioning + controller GC won't help that much)
- you lose them easily
- they are more expensive than an SSD

If you want fast, reliable portable storage, get something like a portable SSD or mSATA SSD  + mSATA to USB case (they are very small!). It will be extremely fast if you use USB3 and if the case has USAP/UASP/UPSA/whatever? support (it's something like USB SCSI Access Protocol - better than USB Mass Storage mode).

Offline FMpersiaTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 05:38:56 pm »
that's all helpfull info. thanx guys.
 :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf